Moving Home With A Cat Who Doesn't Use Litter Box

somayeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I will be having to move house in a month or two and I have a year and half old Russian Blue.

He's an outdoor cat who hasn't used the litter box for the past 8 months or so.

I keep him indoors throughout the night and even if it's been 12 hours he keeps it all in until he can go outside to do his business. He never uses the litter box, no matter what.

Now, this worries me because when I move soon I know I won't be able to let him out right away and so I was wondering is there anything I can do to avoid the big mess that is about to occur?

Many thanks in advance x

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried changing the type of box? As a general rule, the bigger the box the more likely a cat is to use it. He may prefer an open box to a covered one too.

What kind of litter are you using? Sometimes cats will avoid the box simply because they don't like your litter choice. Silica crystals (unless they're very fine) are often the least accepted, and very fine grained clay litters are often the most readily accepted. Cats mist often prefer unscented litters to scented ones too. These are just generalisations though, and all cats are different.

A common trick used when bringing ferals indoors is to have a dirt-filled box, as that's what they're used to using outside. Another option is to put some dirt over the top of your chosen litter. Many people swear by Dr Elsy's Cat Attract too, so that's another way to go. Why not put a few boxes out with different options for him? That should give you the best chance of success.

As you'll have to keep him in anyway straight after the move, you might want to consider having him indoors permanently. It's so much safer for him, and would give you greater peace of mind. Just a thought ;)

Good luck! I hope the move goes smoothly :vibes:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will pretty much be forced to use a box when you move, I would have several with dirt and different litters that you can eliminate later when you find what he likes. Remember a cat will take at least a month to get used to a new place, I rehomed a mother and her kitten and the people let them out after a week they were never seen again and it still weighs heavily on my mind. If I was you I wouldn't let him out again for a long while, if ever. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

somayeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both, dirt is a great idea! How did I forget that? I'll pick some from the same area he does his business in and hopefully that will work!

Yes. I will do my best to keep him in for a good few weeks, but with going to work everyday there is always a worry of him finding a way out :/ but in general Kola is such an outdoor cat and so happy for it that I could never take that away from him permentantly :)

DeannaF

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you know from experience with him that he won't use a litter box? Or is it that you've never tried?

You might just be surprised and might not have to even go to extremes.

My 9 month old was a stray and after we got him fixed, he's strictly an indoor cat and I guess we got lucky because I offered a litter box and he started using it immediatley.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

somayeh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He stopped fully using the litter box about 8/9 months ago, he would still use it during the night when I keep him in, but he just stopped one day and decided to wait until he can go out again in the mornings! I must say I'm actually a little impressed he's that disciplined...