Moving Helped Transition Indoor/outdoor Cat To Indoor Only

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who has long been a persistent determined escape artist. He used to be mostly outdoor (found him as a stray), then indoor/outdoor, then I decided to transition him to indoor only starting in October of 2015. It did not work. He was indoors more, but always found an escape route. He was just absolutely determined to get out!

Fast forward to December of 2017. My husband found a new job out of state and we moved 550 miles from Michigan to Tennessee. My former escape artist is now a changed cat. Since we moved to our new home on December 24th, he's escaped exactly ZERO times. Since he doesn't escape anymore, my other cat doesn't either. (My other cat would follow him out the door)

I'm not sure if it's the lay out of our new home, or if moving reset his brain, but whatever it is, I'll take it! I now have a completely indoor cat who's perfectly happy to sit on top of cabinets rather than go outside.

If you have a cat who resists staying inside, there may be hope! :)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad he is now happy indoors. I have one that i brought indoors 2 years ago, he took to it right away..lol i think he is fond of his air conditioning and heat. He wont go near an open door, just looks out, and says nope, I'm staying in! :)

I have a few feral cats outdoors that i feed, they will never be indoor cats, way to wild. But they do get beat up and in fights fairly often, especially the males. Breaks my heart, but i give them shelters, food and water, that's all they will accept. So i help where i can, but indoors is definable safer!