Moving Food Dishes

rfleming3719

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I have another question for you all. Since I am now feeding two kitties instead of one, I moved the food dishes into my home office rather than the extra bathroom. Vinny (the kitten) doesn’t seem to care one bit because he’s still new to our house so he isn’t really completely used to where everything is but Artie (almost 2 year old) seems a little confused. He still ate this morning but seemed cautious. What are everyone’s thoughts on moving the dishes to a different location?

Rhonda

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I think Artie will adjust pretty quickly. Vinny, as a kitten, might have more trouble if you were to move the dishes again. When I adopted shelter/rescue kitty, Mocha, I had to experiment until I figured out how to accommodate everyone’s eating habits: Mocha ate at the speed of light (probably because she was worried where her next meal was coming from), and then tried to eat everyone else’s food. I now feed in three different rooms with slow eater Iris being fed behind a closed door. They learned their spots in a few days.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
When I have moved them I only do it a few feet at a time and then wait a couple days before moving it more until I get it to its permanent spot. Cats simply don’t like changes so it is best to do it gradually.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... They learned their spots in a few days.
I only have one cat, but I've trained her to pretty much eat in multiple places. She has a few favorite spots for sure -- but when/if in the future we get a cat sitter if we travel, I don't want her food dish placement to be one of the things (besides really missing me or my husband if we are gone for a while) that could dissuade her from eating. I want her to be adaptable.

I do keep her three water locations always the same, though.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When we got our first two, we moved their bowls with no problems although they were food-obsessed kittens and would eat anything, anywhere.

Its moreso the litterbox you have to worry about moving.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rfleming3719

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! One full day is all it took. After I finished working today, I came downstairs to eat my own dinner and when I went back up there, they are both eating with no issues. They know exactly where their food is. I tend to be a huge worrier when it comes to my little babies.