Moving Cat Overseas

lizzers729

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I'm new but looking for advice after months of trying to figure this out on my own. I have a 4.5 year-old domestic shorthair cat, easy-going and super sweet but dislikes going in his carrier even for short trips to vet (he paws at the cage door and sticks his nose through, but usually only immediately after being put inside). He has made a 7 hour car journey several times without too much difficulty minus some fast breathing and occasional whining. He is healthy but does have symptoms consistent with chronic uri (stuffy nose and occasional noisy breathing/snoring) and runny eyes.

In a few months, I'm moving to Guam for 2 years. I would love to take my cat with me, but I'm terrified of flying with him. I've done a lot of research and talked to pet relocation companies. He would have to fly in cargo hold based on Guam's import requriements, likely with United's PetSafe program (which I've read scary things about). Guam also requires a lot of paper work, a rabies antibody titer (which I had drawn today, and felt terrible about), 3 vet visits prior to going, and a quarantine if he doesn't meet specific requirements, so a lot of vet visits and potential stress for him (not to mention at least $3000 for me by the time it's said and done, and then moving him back in 2 years).

Alternatively, he can live with my parents for two years. He's stayed with them a few times in the past and done fine. They have 2 other (overweight) cats, and I'm scared of him getting overfed and becoming overweight as well as missing me (is that silly?). I'm scared that when I moved back he wouldn't be comfortable coming back with me. They are a 7 hour car ride away, and I know they would take good care of him.

I know it's my decision to make, but I've struggled with it for months now and I'm just looking for advice/feedback/experiences from people who have maybe had to make similar decisions. Honestly, I'm terrified he will die (I know, it's extremely unlikely) on the plane if I decide to take him. It's a 24+ hour journey that likely involves at least 4 different planes and a night in quarantine on Hawaii plus additional time in quarantine in Guam. Not to mention we will be flying in June, when it's super hot. I'm super sad to leave him but want to do what's best, especially because he has somewhere safe to go and my move is only temporary.

Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just to comment on one part of this, I'm like you and don't trust putting animals on planes, especially with hot temperatures and a URI. So, to continue, he'll miss you/wonder where you went, and in two years he might gain some weight but probably not that terribly much and you can deal with that with a gentle diet when you get back. He'll remember you even though you might smell a little different from eating and drinking different foods etc from what you usually do but again that'll come back around to normal. You're also going to be very involved with things there, and you love him tremendously but you might not be able to give him the complete attention he deserves, and then too his health might suffer in Guam and then you'd have to deal with that in a strange place. There's my thinking, best of luck with everything!!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We moved back to the US from Japan with 2 cats when I was a teenager. We didn't see them for over 24 hours, but they were fine. We could hear 1 of them howling in the cargo hold before they turned the engines on though! (They were half Siamese and had the voices to prove it). If it costs $3000 I would be reluctant to do it for only 2 years. If it were longer, or a permanant move, I would though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lizzers729

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice so far! I should also mention that he gets along decently well with my parents cats, so that's a plus. I'm sure it's obvious that I'm leaning towards leaving him, but people keep telling me I'm crazy and that he will be absolutely fine on the plane and that I will miss him, so it makes me second guess myself.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You will of course miss him, and yes he might well be just fine on the plane, but those two things aren't really the point. To me, as you've mentioned, protecting his overall health and breathing and avoiding the stress of the heat (what if the carrier he's in sits on the tarmac for who knows how long at any one of those transfers?) Is absolutely top priority. ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lizzers729

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You will of course miss him, and yes he might well be just fine on the plane, but those two things aren't really the point. To me, as you've mentioned, protecting his overall health and breathing and avoiding the stress of the heat (what if the carrier he's in sits on the tarmac for who knows how long at any one of those transfers?) Is absolutely top priority. ;)
That's a really good point , thank you! I'm 99% sure he is staying with my family :)