Moving cat into studio apartment

katycat1190

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, has anyone here moved their cat from a large house into a studio apartment and regretted it? I'm in the midst of moving and found a really cute studio unit. But I'm really not sure if this is a good idea for the cat. In her 5 years with me, Katy has always lived in either a large two-storey house, or 3 bedroom apartments.

We have moved several times over the past few years, and she has no issues at all with moving, so the move itself is not my concern. She typically makes herself at home right away, and chooses one room as her 'own'. What I'm worried about is the amount of space. She is over 5 years old, but still very active, gets the zoomies most days, loves to run around and play and pounce etc.

This new place I'm thinking of renting is has a small balcony that overlooks a park, so I know she will enjoy that. But is it cruel to move her to this studio? She won't be able to have a room of her own like she always has had. The apartment building isn't in a pet-friendly compound and it's in the middle of a busy city, so I can't take her for walks or anything to stretch her legs (she loves walks, on a harness of course).

And yes I know cats can adjust etc, but I do want Katy to be happy and feel comfortable and not feel cooped up in a small space. It's just me and her, so in a lot of ways, her happiness is my happiness. If we do end up moving to this studio, I'm thinking of adding more cat trees (maybe one of those floor to ceiling ones) and so on, but really, I'm not sure if this would be enough.

What would you do if you were me?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see a lot of options here. Look for a different place? There must be something that makes this studio very appealing to you. Rehoming her to someone with a larger apartment is a lunatic option that would be devastating for both of you. Sounds like she'll have to adapt. And I expect that she will.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katycat1190

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't see a lot of options here. Look for a different place? There must be something that makes this studio very appealing to you. Rehoming her to someone with a larger apartment is a lunatic option that would be devastating for both of you. Sounds like she'll have to adapt. And I expect that she will.
Rehoming🤯 Oh my goodness rehoming is not something that I even thought about. Katy is my baby, I would never give her up, ever. My heart wouldn't be able to take it. And yes, the choice is between this studio or looking for another place. It has been a huge challenge to find a place in this city for various reasons and it really is so challenging to find a place, which is why I'm trying to reconcile myself with moving us into a studio. Thanks for your response! :)

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
With the current housing situation in so many places, it might be wise to take what you can get. As for space, she will likely quickly adjust, and find an area to call her own.

More cat trees would likely be appreciated, as would any other methods you can find to make the space seem larger for a cat. TCS has this article that might have some ideas: How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) - TheCatSite

Two concerns, though.

a small balcony that overlooks a park
Will she be going out on the balcony? Or just looking out through the glass doors? If out on the balcony, do ensure you can create a safe, cat proof enclosure.

The apartment building isn't in a pet-friendly compound and it's in the middle of a busy city, so I can't take her for walks or anything to stretch her legs (she loves walks, on a harness of course).
Do you regularly take her out for walks? If so, this might be a deal breaker, in Katy's mind.

Cats though are really pretty flexible, and you've already moved several times and she's adjusted, so I suspect no matter where you move to this time, she will adjust yet again.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm all about hearing if there's a way you could cat-proof the balcony area, I'm sure she would love that!
Most cats IME do very well in small spaces, especially if they're the only cat or live with one or two other cats that they get along with and there's no real issues between them. I'd be more concerned if you had two cats that got along....most of the time.

Tips to Catify Your Home
I have the book, even though I can't really build stuff to save my life there are some really cool ideas in it. You could create some vertical space on the walls (assuming that's allowable in the renting agreement.) I'm not sure what the situation is with renting this studio (how long you sign on for, etc.), but, is it possible to live there for awhile and wait for another place to open up that might suit you both better?

katycat1190

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With the current housing situation in so many places, it might be wise to take what you can get. As for space, she will likely quickly adjust, and find an area to call her own.

More cat trees would likely be appreciated, as would any other methods you can find to make the space seem larger for a cat. TCS has this article that might have some ideas: How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) - TheCatSite

Two concerns, though.

Will she be going out on the balcony? Or just looking out through the glass doors? If out on the balcony, do ensure you can create a safe, cat proof enclosure.

Do you regularly take her out for walks? If so, this might be a deal breaker, in Katy's mind.

Cats though are really pretty flexible, and you've already moved several times and she's adjusted, so I suspect no matter where you move to this time, she will adjust yet again.
Thanks for the article! And yeah, that's a good point, she doesn't necessarily need a room of her own, I guess an area of her own would kind of work the same way from a cat's point of view.

And yes, she will be going out on the balcony, and it will be fully catproofed (floor to ceiling netting).

As for the walks, they are very dependent on where we are. If we are in my mum's house with the big porch then yes, she gets walks everyday at 6pm (and starts reminding me of that at 5.30 like a little furry alarm clock hehe). We also did walks in one of our previous apartments, but not the others. She seems to understand that though and doesn't demand walks in a new place unless I start them.

katycat1190

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm all about hearing if there's a way you could cat-proof the balcony area, I'm sure she would love that!
Most cats IME do very well in small spaces, especially if they're the only cat or live with one or two other cats that they get along with and there's no real issues between them. I'd be more concerned if you had two cats that got along....most of the time.

Tips to Catify Your Home
I have the book, even though I can't really build stuff to save my life there are some really cool ideas in it. You could create some vertical space on the walls (assuming that's allowable in the renting agreement.) I'm not sure what the situation is with renting this studio (how long you sign on for, etc.), but, is it possible to live there for awhile and wait for another place to open up that might suit you both better?
The balcony will be catproofed for sure. I've got netting which I will hang from the ceiling, zip tie to the railings, and weigh down at the bottom. And there is a whole book on catification, I did not know that! Thanks for sharing. I have his book on cat mojo and quite liked it, so maybe I'll get this too.

She's an only cat, so no issues there. And the rental contracts here are for at least a year, so it would be quite some time before we can find another place. And to be entirely honest, I'm tired of the frequent moving, so if we move in here, I'd love to make it our home and really get settled in for a while at least.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Reading your replies, I'm pretty certain Katy will be fine in your new home. Especially with the balcony to give her some outside space. Good luck.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The balcony will be catproofed for sure. I've got netting which I will hang from the ceiling, zip tie to the railings, and weigh down at the bottom. And there is a whole book on catification, I did not know that! Thanks for sharing. I have his book on cat mojo and quite liked it, so maybe I'll get this too.

She's an only cat, so no issues there. And the rental contracts here are for at least a year, so it would be quite some time before we can find another place. And to be entirely honest, I'm tired of the frequent moving, so if we move in here, I'd love to make it our home and really get settled in for a while at least.
When you zip tie, make sure you zip tie it like a fortress! Cats are curious and can squeeze through the tiniest of spaces with even just a little bit of give and a tiny open space. If you connect netting to netting anywhere, I would zip tie every other square or so just to keep it safe for her (and keep birds etc. out!)
I've done my share of moving and I hated every moment of it, I understand wanting to get settled. If you do all you've mentioned, I'm sure you and Katy will be very happy in your new home. :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
As others have said, as long as Katy is with you she'll definitely adapt to any space you're in. :catlove: I thought this Jackson Galaxy article might have some helpful information and tips for you, especially "make the window a destination location."
Catifying Your Home For Harmony

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a renter myself, and reading the things you already are planning to do to "catify" the space, I fully believe you will both be fine.

I've never lived in a studio (I currently rent a one-bedroom apartment), but my cat typically has only lived in the living room. I'm a person who hasn't normally slept with my cat (I have insomnia, and I could never make it work, with his nighttime antics waking me up) so his domain is basically my living room. And he's been perfectly happy with that for almost 8 years.

I WISH I had a balcony I could catify like you described, that would add a lot to his life. He spends a ton of time on very wide windowsills that are perfect for a cat, and I open the windows for him as often as weather permits, but a balcony would be an entirely different experience I wish I could give him.

You and your cat will be fine in your new place.