Moving cat from Florida to Jersey/Airplane Trip

flafred

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is the best spot for this topic, but cat "care" seemed okay. I have a 6 year old domestic short who I adopted about 3 weeks ago. I adopted him from a humane society in Daytona, so I assume he's been in FLA his whole life (they found him on the streets of N. Florida too). I'm currently in school in Daytona but will travel home to New Jersey for Christmas break. Has anybody gone on a 18 drive with a cat and have any advice? I am driving up with my boyfriend to New Jersey (near Philly) and then flying back down (into Orlando). Anybody know of a good airline to fly with a cat? I usually fly Southwest direct from Philly to Orlando so i'm hoping to hear good reviews. And do you think he'll be okay going from a nice warm weather to snow? I know he has fur, but I don't want him to get sick!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fly cats and kittens frequently and they travel very well, can't recommend a company being in a different country but I always use a pet transport company to handle the bookings. 

On a car trip you could have him in a larger dog crate that fits a litter tray, use chicken coop cups for the food & water onto the crate, or just stop every few hours for a break. 

They adjust to the new climate, one of my girls went from cold Germany to an Australian Summer without issue. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

flafred

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Southwest Airlines does accept pets in the cabin. You can find their pet policy here. No matter what airline you use you won't be able to book your flight online. Pet reservations have to be made by phone or through a travel agent. You pay for your ticket when you book it, but you have to pay the pet fee when you check in at the airport. They may or may not ask to see proof of vaccinations. It's always a good idea to carry the vet record with you when you travel in any case.