Moving apartment with cat!

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Due to an unfortunate circumstance (allergies) I have to change apartments. I was very fortunate to find one that accepts cats here in Japan.

Any tips on how to move with a cat? We are just moving 2 km down the road.

I think its best to move her first in her crate and set her up in the shower room in the new place with her crate, bed, food and box until we are finished shuffling all the furniture from the old place. I have feliway in use and I will definitely bring that over first thing with her.

Keeping her isolated in one room longer than the move over is not a great option as my new place is again a studio with a bath (1LDK) and the only option is the bath/shower room.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you plug Feliway in a few hours before you actually move her over? I think it's not a bad idea to move her into the bathroom in the new place, then move all the furniture/etc over. Once you are certain everything is moved over, no more door opening/closing, then let her out to explore.

lonelykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
we're in the same situation we're moving from our house to an apartment due to mold and i'm so nervous our landlord will come in and hurt our babies their gonna have to be the first things moved over. we're planned on putting Samara in the bathroom till we are settled in that night and let her explore once we're there to watch her.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What I've done in the past is to take a load of stuff over, plug in the feliway and get things set up. I took some things that smelled like home (the current apt) and placed in the bathroom. On the next trip, I load up the kitty and transport. Put the kitty in her safe spot and close the door. Tape a note to the door letting people know not to open the door because the cat is inside. Once all the boxes are inside and it's safe for her to come out, you can open the door and let her out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feliway can be bought at Petsmart and Amazon has it (at a better price too).

whiskers151

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have had to move several times with my cats after Hurricane Ike and found it seemed to work well to move as much as I can into the new place before moving the cats in. I figured they were comfortable in the place they currently lived so they could handle a little extra activity there with all the packing and moving stuff around to get it ready to move. Moving the cats first to a strange place and then adding the additional activity of moving stuff in just seemed it would be more stressful for them. The cats were one of the last things that left the old place for the new place.

I got the furniture in place as well as all the cats furniture they were familiar with. I had their food and water out and waiting for them as well as their toys and comfort items like blankets they lay on regularly. Then I just opened their carriers and let them out to explore when they were ready and it seemed to work out well.