Moving An Indoor/outdoor Cat And Introducing Him To Indoor Cats

smolder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, everyone.

(Not sure if this is the correct forum for this thread. Please advise.)

I find myself forced to move an indoor/outdoor cat. (I know it's best to leave him in his familiar territory, and that is what I did when I first moved out of it, but it is no longer safe for him to live there.)

As luck would have it, I am also moving myself with my 4 indoor cats.

So, the situation involves moving both parties, familiarizing them with the new place and introducing them to each other.

My question is, what is the best way to go about this? Moving the indoor cats is no problem; I've done it before and I'm familiar with the best practices. I mainly need advice about moving the indoor/outdoor one and introducing everyone to each other.

- Do I sedate the indoor/outdoor cat for the move (it's actually rather short) or is it better for him to stay aware? What if I fear he might break out and stray (he's incredibly strong)?
- If he's not sedated, do I cover his carrier on the way?
- Do I treat him as a feral cat (keep him in a crate for two weeks before letting him explore the house)?
- Do I move him first then move the indoor cats into his new territory later, the other way around or move both parties at the same time?
- If I move both parties at the same time, do I confine the indoor cats and let him roam free during the introduction or the other way around?
- Would anxiolytics help either party during the introduction stage or make things worse?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm losing my mind over this. :-(

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know what? I'm going to request that this thread be moved to the "Caring for Strays and Ferals" section. I think you will get more solid advice there, although your cat isn't exactly either one...

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suggest giving the new cat a room on his own. The room should be cat proofed so that he cannot hide under a bed or under/behind large furniture. You can use a crate if you wish, but a room would give him more room to move around. If necessary you can start with a crate and then allow him more freedom in a room. The cat should be completely separated from your other cats. Also this cat needs to be vet checked to be sure that he is free of FIV and FELV. You also want to be sure that he is neutered.

Once moved inside the house, it is best to keep him there until he is adjusted to indoor living. If you do plan to allow him to be inside and outside, he needs at least 3-4 weeks of complete inside to adjust to his new surroundings. If you let him outside sooner, he will only try his best to get back to his former territory.

As for introductions, here are some articles to read and a great video.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-ultimate-yet-simplified-guide-to-introducing-cats

A Simple Little Trick to Use During New Cat Introductions

Cat Care

As for sedating when you move, I guess it depends on how far you are going. If you take him to the vet beforehand for testing, you can ask for a light sedative. You might want to use a humane trap or a sturdy dog crate. I always keep my traps or crates covered as it calms the cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smolder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, Mamanyt1953.

And thank you, shadowsrescue, for the advice. This has been helpful.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Actually, you could give him a dose of chamomile tea before the move. It will calm, and isn't quite as strong as prescriptions. I'd suggest 3 tsp. about an hour before crating. Chill the tea before giving it, via syringe. Use the commercial tea bags, as most chamomile grown in gardens is English Chamomile, which is toxic to cats. The tea bags are the German variety, and are not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smolder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the great tip, especially the part about English chamomile! I'll try to find out which one is in the bags sold in my city.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it is sold in the grocery store (coffee and tea aisle), I can tell you that it is the German. It is why I recommend a commercial tea bag.