Moving A Colony To Manhattan, Nyc?

pianissima

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have a small colony of 4 cats that I feed. I live in Brooklyn, but I’ll be moving to Manhattan in a few months. I don’t want to leave them behind, they are dependent on me for food. The area I live in is also not so enthusiastic about cats, and one of my neighbors HATES cats. She has a permanent trap baited in her yard (thankfully she is not so good at trapping cats, she hasn’t caught any). I am moving to an apartment, if that helps.

Is there a way I can take them with me? I have 3 indoor cats (two are former ferals who love cats, and one who only likes the other two I have, and it took her a really long time to adjust to them). I will not be able to live with the guilt of leaving these poor babies behind. There is no way that someone in my area would take over caring for them.

Has anyone had any experience with setting up colonies in Manhattan? Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thank you

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might want to reach out to some NYC rescues like For Animals Inc (South Ozone Park) and Gotham City Kitties. There must be a rescue in Brooklyn..just don't know any specifics. Are the kitties friendly enough that they could be socialized and adopted eventually?

trainee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is not clear, are you wanting to make them indoor cats in your new apartment, or are you wanting to relocate them outdoors?

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are other NYC members on here so hopefully they can chime in with some ideas. I agree that you can't abandon them at this point. Since it is a small colony moving them might be possible but you have to be able to confine them for a period of time to adjust.

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have a small colony of 4 cats that I feed. I live in Brooklyn, but I’ll be moving to Manhattan in a few months. I don’t want to leave them behind, they are dependent on me for food. The area I live in is also not so enthusiastic about cats, and one of my neighbors HATES cats. She has a permanent trap baited in her yard (thankfully she is not so good at trapping cats, she hasn’t caught any). I am moving to an apartment, if that helps.

Is there a way I can take them with me? I have 3 indoor cats (two are former ferals who love cats, and one who only likes the other two I have, and it took her a really long time to adjust to them). I will not be able to live with the guilt of leaving these poor babies behind. There is no way that someone in my area would take over caring for them.

Has anyone had any experience with setting up colonies in Manhattan? Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thank you
I live in Manhattan. Have been taken care of a few kitties in a park, for 8 years. Very difficult to take care of a colony in Manhattan...
See below article. I believe the colony still exists, but the lady who has created it has moved...
If you want to contact her, please don't disclose who gave you this information, she was no longer involved in this. There are a few organizations (wahicats.org, for instant) that could advise you. You can also contact
nycferalcat.org
They didn't help me, though, with a different problem. I contacted them for a professional trapper and advice and got into whole nightmare because of NYCferalcat.
Maybe they can help you! Hope you can take those kitties with you! There are other people here, not from NYC, who had a similar experience, taking the cats with them because they were moving. Good luck!
Feral Cats | Morris-Jumel Community Garden