Moving A Blind Cat Into A New Home

medeamagic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Need advice or helpful tricks. I have a blind cat (Lily), I got her 4.5 years ago when she was only 8 weeks old. She was already blind by this point due to an untreated respiratory infection since she was born to a stray and spent her first week of life outdoor in October, in NY. Since I got her she has lived with me in my one bedroom apt. In the next 4-6 months I will be moving into my boyfriends house (its currently being built so it'll be brand new, no other animal smells). I am already stressing moving my poor Lily. She doesn't know any place other than mine, she doesn't know anything about stairs. I am afraid of the stress this will put on her and what her reaction will be.
I'll preface this with, last summer I fostered a kitten thinking it might be helpful for Lily because it would give her a buddy when I was at work or away. She was always meowing and blocking the door as soon as she heard my keys come out. Well, after a few months together, (I assume there was a cat fight while I was at work) I came home and found Lily under the bed in the smallest tightest space. She didn't come out for 3 days, wouldn't eat or drink when I put food under there and didn't come out to use the bathroom once. So I had to rush her to the vet. Vet said she was healthy but she was having kidney issues which was probably due to the other kitty and a stressful environment. I had the foster kitty taken back that day (sadly) and within a few days Lily started to come out on her own, but she still wouldn't drink water. I gave her cat milk several times a day for weeks..... i even cancelled a trip because she wasn't eating or drinking normally and I would NOT put her into the vet care and throw her life off even more. After about a month of being the only kitty in the household, she began to drink on her own again. This was back in November of 2018, she's been her old self since then. I tell you this because this is my fear. I will move her and this will happen again and I will be devastated and I can't handle anything bad happening to her. She is literally the sweetest, most gentle, loving kitty I have ever had.

Any advice or stories from people who have moved blind cats to new homes, is greatly appreciated. I would love to hear how it started and than how it ultimately turned out and how long that process took. My thought was to either keep her in the master bedroom with me, or giver her a small bedroom to herself, with her old litter box, food, water, old beds, and old cat trees (so her scent in on them) and then after she gets comfortable, opening the door and letting her do her own thing on her own terms. I am also going to get a baby gate to block the stairs (sorry boyfriend lol) as she as NO clue what steps are and will certainly take a tumble down them.

Thank you for any help my fellow cat people!!

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with blind cats myself, but I did watch an episode of Jackson Galaxy that featured a blind cat. He recommended getting a variety of floor coverings with different textures (basically just a bunch of throw rugs) to help the cat differentiate and navigate spaces confidently, which might be worth considering.

Good luck!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be consistent with the floor coverings that mean you're coming to a set of stairs. You can buy plastic covers, the sort they put on stairs to keep people from slipping, at hardware stores. Take kit to the stairs and let her feel the cover then stay with her as she moves to the stairs and stop her before she steps over. Extend a paw and let her see the stair ends. It will be easier if you start her going up stairs rather than down.

since the new house will smell different she will know she is in a different place just as she does at the vet. Do you let her walk around the vet's exam room? If not you might consider it. Watch how she investigates her new surroundings in that very contained
area.

As long as you are with her and are both watching out for her, she will be fine.