Moving 14 year old kitty - into home with 2 cats

quirkee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

I have been reading all over the place for the best idea of what to expect and how to to make this move as easy as possible on my Mav.  Basically Mav is a senior kitty so I am a bit more concerned about him than I used to be.  He has moved a few times - though we have been in this place for over 8 years now.  He also has lived with several different cats over the years - so it isn't as if he has never experienced that before.  I think he has been very happy to have me all to himself the past 3 years though and not have to contend with any other felines.  I am joining forces with my boyfriend who already has 2 cats - both on the younger side (under 5).  So here are the stats:

My Mav: 14 1/2 - male (neutered) - DEclawed - has always bit skittish and very needy of me specifically - seems pretty healthy regardless of his age and his last checkup (6 months ago) was great - but he does seem a bit more fragile to me now.  He has some recent digestive issues I am investigating and plan another vet trip as soon as we are moved.

Being introduced to:

Nero: 4 - male (neutered) - claws - Very sweet and playful big lug - almost a "dog-cat" - though may want to "play" or pick fights with a new male.

Tess: 4 - female (spayed) - claws - Not the most social kitty.  She was a stray - VERY territorial - only really loves my boyfriend and is jealous of anyone or anything else that comes near.  She is a tough cookie - after over a year of spending time around her she only lets me pet her a wee bit when we first get home and she is in need of lovin!  It is only moments before she is hissing and being very unfriendly.  She sort of just puts up with Nero - but he gets his fair share of hissing from her.  Every so often they squabble.

So I think the move to the new home should be handled almost separately from the introduction to his new friends.  I am definitely planning on trying to acclimate him to the new home (via his own safe room at first) before tossing new pals at him.  Hopefully this won't take too many days.  Then I can try the introduction phase.  While I have read all the details I can on this -- I bring to you my specific details in case anyone can advise me more.  I think my biggest fear now is that Mav is older and may be less accepting of changes like these.  I hope if I just take as much time as possible -- and maybe even sleep on the floor with him in his safe room -- all will be okay!

Thank you so much in advance!

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was very nervous moving my then 16 year old kitty to my new apartment last year.  She had lived in the same house since we moved when she was about 2 years old, and I was frankly unsure that she would adjust without any harm done.  Well, we just packed her into her carrier, drove the four hours, locked her in the teeny laundry "room" with her food and litter box while we moved everything, and then after everything settled I let her out.  She was eating, drinking, and using her litter box, but boy was she ticked off for the rest of the night!  The next day she was absolutely fine.  Since then I have had to make that same trip with her several times, and after an evening of growling she settles in nicely. 

About two months after the two of us moved I ended up (reluctantly at first) acquiring a kitten.  I didn't initially want to keep the kitten so she stayed locked in my bathroom, and I proceeded with a very slow introduction between the two.  Old cat (Alafair) still hates the kitten and hisses if she gets too close or rambunctious, but all is generally peaceful.  Alafair also does not have front claws, but Stella does.  Never had any issues between the two with teeth or claw injuries.  Your situation is different because you are introducing to two older (not old, but not kittens) cats, but should probably be approached in a similar manner.  There are plenty of links available on this site that have helped me with the introductions.  The one thing I have to say though is that I would definitely not expect it to happen quickly.  You say that you hope it doesn't take too many days, but it is possible that you could be looking at a time frame of weeks rather than days.  Don't feel guilty about isolating him in his "safe room" while you can't directly supervise before things have settled between them.  I still keep mine separated when I'm gone.  Just give it enough patience, time, and commitment and everything should turn out fine between them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

quirkee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much Duck Dodgers! I really appreciate hearing your story and will definitely take your advice!

quirkee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay - just wanted to give an update in case anyone else may have some advice.  I have been keeping my old kitty in his own room -- he quickly seems to have grown accustomed to it -- and often wants out (we let him roam out in the other area without the other cats a lot).  I hate keeping him in here --- he can't sleep with me unless I sleep on the floor (which I keep doing!) and he wants to get out.  The other cats don't seem too interested in him at all -- and don't come pursuing him in his room -- where they could interact under the door - through the glass on the door.  So we let him out to see what happens with them.  Basically it seems that he is trying to assert his dominance.  It looked like he sort of blocked in the other male cat a few times -- but that seems to have stopped.  They even had a decent moment or two where their bushiness disappears and they just sit on the bed with each other - still wary - but not growling or hissing.  The other cat -- a girl -- who isn't especially friendly to anyone -- and is CONSTANTLY hissing at everyone and everything --- and my old man finally had a bad experience last night.  Mostly she just hides/stays away.  Yesterday they stared at each other while sitting pretty close to each other --- her hissing - Mav - not at all - a low throat meow every so often.  Then they calmed down.  It felt like they sat there for 20-30 minutes.  Then she got up to go in the other room and eat or go to the litter --- and Mav immediately got up and followed her out.  I did not see what transpired from there -- my boyfriend thinks Mav tried to bite her --- and mayhem ensued - with Mav chasing her through the living room.  We still have some boxes around so we aren't sure if it just sounded worse than it was.  I have a feeling Mav may have snuck up on her - but not to bite - she likely turned and hissed/ran -- and the rest ensued.

Now the two resident cats (the younger ones) seem afraid to leave the bedroom even when Mav is locked up.  I don't want them to be so scared --- and I also want Mav out with everyone and me!  Getting rid of him is simply not an option.  He is my boy!!!  He has lived with other cats --- why is he being such a brute?

Please help if you can!

Thanks,

J

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It could take a while longer. The last time I introduced a new cat it took about 2 months. Even now, once in a while, there will be a scuffle, but no one gets hurts. This is a big change for all of them, especially your guy. They will need to figure out just who belongs where in the household. As long as they aren't hurting each other (drawing blood) they will be ok. I think if no one has really been hurt yet it's a good sign. My two have been together for 3 years now. They are not the best of friends but they tolerate each other.

quirkee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much Ligwa - I appreciate it.  Just need more patience I guess!!