Movies you don't get

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Just thought of another one- "The Wedding Crashers" - i seriously don't get what people think is so funny about that one. DH and i both have tried to watch it 2 different times but can never get past the first 15 minutes or so- it's just aweful!
I can never get into it!
I love Wedding Crashers.
Maybe it takes a special perversion to enjoy it. Oh wait... did I just admit I'm perverted.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

And I also get "Beyond The Sea," Kevin Spacey's bizarre, brilliant biography of Bobby Darin, which I just showed to my mom... and she loved it too!

So that makes... oh, probably five or six of us...
Ohmigosh. I loved Beyond The Sea! Kevin Spacey's one of my favorite actors, and I loved Bobby Darin......so I knew the combo would be cool.

Spacey wanted to make this movie for sooooo long, and by the time he did it, he probably was too old, but I didn't care. I thought he captured the essence of Bobby Darin perfectly, and I was entranced. The love he put into this project was so obvious, I had to get caught up in it!

My mom loved it too.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, I've come up with a few films I disliked that everyone else seemingly loved. Don't hate me for it.

1. Titanic. The reason I didn't like this film is I found it to be an exact remake of West Side Story, but with out the dancing and singing. Also, I got really sick of Jack and Rose realizing they were on a sinking ship, yet still being shocked to discover water everywhere they went. The. Ship. Was. Sinking. Stop being shocked. Stop the lingering camera shot of the two of them being shocked.

2. The Matrix. When my friend and I walked out of the theater and realized it wasn't a comedy we were really disappointed. No wonder everyone was giving us dirty looks when they passed us on their way out.

3. Raging Bull. I know... you never would have guessed. I just didn't like it. At. All. I still don't know why I didn't like it, but I just didn't.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

1. Titanic. The reason I didn't like this film is I found it to be an exact remake of West Side Story, but with out the dancing and singing. Also, I got really sick of Jack and Rose realizing they were on a sinking ship, yet still being shocked to discover water everywhere they went. The. Ship. Was. Sinking. Stop being shocked. Stop the lingering camera shot of the two of them being shocked.

2. The Matrix. When my friend and I walked out of the theater and realized it wasn't a comedy we were really disappointed. No wonder everyone was giving us dirty looks when they passed us on their way out.

3. Raging Bull. I know... you never would have guessed. I just didn't like it. At. All. I still don't know why I didn't like it, but I just didn't.
I am in the same boat as you (no pun intended) - I hated Titanic, and while I get the matrix, I thought it was one of the dumbest movies ever made.

As for Raging Bull- never seen it and don't plan to.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The one movie that really comes to mind is Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. We'd heard it was such a great movie so we rented it. We watched about 15-30 minutes of it. When some guy took a dump on some other guy, we (Earl and I and another couple) all agreed to turn it off and not waste our time on it anymore. Never watched another Guy Ritchie film. If that was his "masterpiece" then I can do without seeing anything else.

M. Night Shamalan (sp) films are totally hit or miss, IMO. I loved Sixth Sense and Signs. Those two movies were great. Haven't seen The Village or The Happening because his "surprise endings" have just gotten stupid. The surprise ending in Sixth Sense was fabulous and brilliantly done. Now he's just taken it across that invisible line to absurdity.

I LOVE American Psycho! Perhaps I like watch Christian Bale for 2 hours.
Perhaps it's because I'm WAY too into true crime and forensic psychology books, shows, etc. I thought it was a wonderful satire on the 80s business culture, killers, and dating.

Pulp Fiction I get. It has its moments of greatness, and its moments of not so great. Samuel L. Jackson is fabulous in that role, though!

Memento was an amazing concept, and as long as you understood that you were watching the movie backward it wasn't too hard to follow, IMO.

I loved The Matrix too, the first one was definitely the best but the other two weren't bad. We saw the first one as a screener and left the theater amazed at the story, the cinematography and special effects. We had major philosophical debates about that movie, and even had debates with people we had never met before who overheard our conversations.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

The one movie that really comes to mind is Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. We'd heard it was such a great movie so we rented it. We watched about 15-30 minutes of it. When some guy took a dump on some other guy, we (Earl and I and another couple) all agreed to turn it off and not waste our time on it anymore. Never watched another Guy Ritchie film. If that was his "masterpiece" then I can do without seeing anything else.

M. Night Shamalan (sp) films are totally hit or miss, IMO. I loved Sixth Sense and Signs. Those two movies were great. Haven't seen The Village or The Happening because his "surprise endings" have just gotten stupid. The surprise ending in Sixth Sense was fabulous and brilliantly done. Now he's just taken it across that invisible line to absurdity.

I LOVE American Psycho! Perhaps I like watch Christian Bale for 2 hours.
Perhaps it's because I'm WAY too into true crime and forensic psychology books, shows, etc. I thought it was a wonderful satire on the 80s business culture, killers, and dating.

Pulp Fiction I get. It has its moments of greatness, and its moments of not so great. Samuel L. Jackson is fabulous in that role, though!

Memento was an amazing concept, and as long as you understood that you were watching the movie backward it wasn't too hard to follow, IMO.

I loved The Matrix too, the first one was definitely the best but the other two weren't bad. We saw the first one as a screener and left the theater amazed at the story, the cinematography and special effects. We had major philosophical debates about that movie, and even had debates with people we had never met before who overheard our conversations.
IMHO American Psycho= one of the darkest comedies ever made. DH and I actually say to one another, "Is that an axe?"
"Why yes it IS!"

The book is a completely different story. It was one of the few books I've ever read where I tell people to stay away from it, because it's theme is so trashy. The author must have really hated the 80's, because he kills off all the symbols of them one by one. In a very graphic way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another movie that confuses me is Once Apon A Time In Mexico. It has Johnny Depp in it though so that's a plus.