Movie Nite at The Cat Site™ March 21-27/05

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We delayed this thread for a poll, but as of 1:10 pm GMT -6 hours, it has come to a landslide victory for the higly acclaimed cult hit...

I Like Cheese Flavored Things

Yeah yeah... This week's movies really are:

American Graffiti (Deb25's pick)

George Lucas made this movie so it is a movie is a lot like Star Wars, except nobody is in space, there aren't any appearances by Stormtroopers, Darth Vader
and wait... Hey!!! This isn't like Star Wars at all!!!

Gone With the Wind (sort of everyone's pick
)

Everyone knows the plot of this movie. A disgruntled cheese factory worker plans and executes the most fiendish plot to get back at his co-workers for the nasty things they have done to him over the years. Editor's Note: Get your cheese flavored popcorn ready ahead of time because you won't want to stop this rollercoaster ride for a second!

Here is a link to the Paws and Reflect thread Movie Nite at The Cat Siteâ„¢ Picks for this week.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I saw Gone With the Wind on Friday and really enjoyed it. Scarlet O'Hara was quite the feisty little character and despite the fact that the movie was around four hours, it didn't seem too long to me at all, but for me, more of a good ting is always appreciated. It's hard to believe that the picture quality and color could stand up since 1939, but there it was. Some of the scenes were still amazing, like the fire. Scarlet was irrisitable when she was being cute, and ummmm... she looked hot in all those different dresses, but geez did her character ever manipulate people a lot.

I really liked a lot of the other characters too including Mammy, and the too good to be true Melanie (Melly, Milly?) She was a sweetheart all along and I wonder what she would have told Rhett if he had stayed long enough to visit her on her death bed. Rhett was pretty funny. He always had a good comeback to whatever Scarlet said. As for Tara, the house Scarlet had rebuilt there was breathtaking at every angle. I am going to be watching this movie again before I return it.

I never saw this movie before, but of course, I'm familiar with Rhett's last line in the movie. I thought the end would be more depressing because of knowing that line, but found some hope in what Scarlet said, so I was glad about that. Otherwise, I was afraid it would end as cold as The Age of Innocence or Washington Square. So, what are everyone else's views on Gone With the Wind?

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sashacat421

I belive it is one of the finest, most classic movies ever made. What is really fascinating is to read the book on how the movie was made and the search for Scarlett back in 1939.
Right now it is probably one of the finest most classic movies I've ever seen... but I haven't seen that many classics.

Originally Posted by Ali012281

I adore the character of Mammy in this movie. She is on to all Scarlets tricks but keeps her mouth shut. Scarlet irritated me so much by stealing the men and always wanting what she couldn't have but she did do wonderful things as well.

The war scene always makes me tear up when she sees all the wounded soldiers.
Yeah I was surprised about how manipulative Scarlet was. I agree that she always wanted what she couldn't have. Rhett was kind of the same way though. Wasn't that funny when she had a dress made out of the green curtains?

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

Right now it is probably one of the finest most classic movies I've ever seen... but I haven't seen that many classics.

Yeah I was surprised about how manipulative Scarlet was. I agree that she always wanted what she couldn't have. Rhett was kind of the same way though. Wasn't that funny when she had a dress made out of the green curtains?
...and which movie almost 30 years later took that inspiration????
TRIVIA QUIZ!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What inspiration? Making dresses out of curtains? Or a movie circa 1960s that was inspired by GWTW?

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Steph if you are talking about the curtains.

If that's the answer , it's a lie
Every little thing in The Sound of Music was real life Von Trapp experience.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by captiva

I agree with Steph if you are talking about the curtains.

If that's the answer , it's a lie
Every little thing in The Sound of Music was real life Von Trapp experience.
Just the trivia question for the movie! Yes it was The Sound of Music, 1965.
I swear I know every word to every song! I had dreams of being Leisel and dancing through a glass gazebo on a rainy summer night. So I snuck out one night and went to my neighbor's greenhouse and slipped, breaking 3 panes and smooshing her tomatoes
it just wasn't the same.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks
Steph.
I was beginning to get really up ...
up..
upset about the whole Sound of Music thing. Now get thy delirious self some sleep.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probably would have been better if you had some blond-headed German guy there with you

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sashacat421

Just the trivia question for the movie! Yes it was The Sound of Music, 1965.
I swear I know every word to every song! I had dreams of being Leisel and dancing through a glass gazebo on a rainy summer night. So I snuck out one night and went to my neighbor's greenhouse and slipped, breaking 3 panes and smooshing her tomatoes
it just wasn't the same.
I never would have got your trivia question, but I did see The Sound of Music a couple of Times when I was kid.
So... you have a life long history of klutzy things behind you?

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is going on for the movies this week?
Hub and I are getting that unlimited rentals from blockbuster so I'm going to watch as many 'classics' as I can.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I'm catching up late on my own thread. I saw American Graffiti last night when I had time. Easter weekend was a bit busy after Friday. Like any good movie, I liked all the characters and enjoyed each of their stories though I thought it was strange that Debbie still liked Toad after all his lying. Ron Howard wasn't hard to recognize, but it took me a while before I realized that Curt was Richard Dryfuss, and Falfa was Harrison Ford. It was quite amazing to see them so young.

Up in the air for me this week are:

Runaway Train
Casablanca
A Clockwork Orange

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd opt for the first one!
A Clockwork Orange was so incredibly violent that I questioned the reasoning behind it all. Casablanca to me, IMO, was like the Emporer's New Clothes - what the fuss -???

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just love Charles Martin Smith, the actor who played Toad. He isn't in much else, but I did enjoy him in 2 other roles: the guy who works for SETI in Star Man and the accountant on Eliot Ness's team in the Untouchables.

You caught Richard Dreyfuss (who looks so incredibly young) and Harrison Ford, but did you notice that the blonde in the T-Bird was Suzanne Somers?

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deb25

I just love Charles Martin Smith, the actor who played Toad. He isn't in much else, but I did enjoy him in 2 other roles: the guy who works for SETI in Star Man and the accountant on Eliot Ness's team in the Untouchables.

You caught Richard Dreyfuss (who looks so incredibly young) and Harrison Ford, but did you notice that the blonde in the T-Bird was Suzanne Somers?
Cool.
I really thought that was her and remember wondering how old she would have been at the time of the movie, but since we didn't see her again, I totally forgot.