Movie Nite at The Cat Site: The Discussions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I edited my first post in this thread to include the link to the picks thread, which is stickied over in Paws and Reflect.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to be a part-time movie member
Meaning, I'm not watching anything that I don't want to
I've seen Big Fish. I loved that movie. I liked it so much I thought of buying it one day.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, well I'll be working tomorrow night while you're watching a movie... does that make you feel better?

That and I have a headache and this movie isn't helping. Hmm.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok I just got back from the tanning <gasp> salon, the video store and the girl scout cookie stand. I'm game. It's 8:15 west coast time, so the night is young. I've already seen both, and wrote a paper on Cuckoo's nest, but I can watch anything. I'm up to bed and pillows and movies and cookies!

Nitey nite cat site.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

Okay, I went to track down One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest and took some driving footage.

(In my worst possible announcer's voice) Stay Tuned
I got an error message when I clicked the link!

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I ran it last night I didn't get an error but I did have to reload the page a few times.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So did anyone see the movie One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest? I watched it last night and had some thoughts. Without spoiling anything (and to be real brief), I thought the beginning was interesting, the ending was sad (and interesting)... and the middle made me lose interest a bit.

I was reading on imdb.com about what makes Nurse Ratched a villain... it's interesting because while I was watching, I was thinking that she wasn't really a villain. But the more I watched, the more I could see how she was... and how she was also just a woman trying to help "mentally ill people".

Those are all my thoughts for now... anyone else?

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I liked the movie too and thought the ending was really sad. I could guess how the movie was going to end with the foreshaddowing they had earlier in the movie, but it didn't make me anymore comfortable with it when it happened. It was heartbreaking.
Nurse Ratched was clearly a control freak in need of holding onto her power, so her type of character was a natural choice to put opposite of McMurphy. It's not hard to see how that kind of person would have a job like that. It was really interesting to see Danny DeVito, Christopher Lloyd, (those two ugly guys who I don't know the names of) and Jack Nicholson at such a younger age than we recognize them now. Brad Dourif (as Billy Bibbit) looked a bit familiar, but I couldn't place where I had seen him until I looked at the cast and crew feature to see what other movies he had been in. I really didn't know much about the movie before I saw it, so I didn't have over-inflated expectations to spoil the movie for me. I enjoyed it.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Well, I absolutely LOVED Big Fish! But then, I love Tim Burton. I liked how it was all tied together at the end, and it really had a sense of resolution.

Was I the only one who really didn't like the son much until near the end?
Yeah he sure seemed bitter during the movie until he let go of it at the end.

Originally Posted by Mom of Franz

I really liked Big Fish, though I wish they had broadened Jessica Lange's role. However as usual the book was better, same name but the author's name escapes me. Shame on me, I'm too lazy right now to look it up. BTW, the book was also surrealistic...read the book, it was a gem.
I noticed that about Jesica Lange's role too some degree. She was almost like a trophy wife with how limited her role was to just being a prize.

After seeing Big Fish I was left feeling unsatisfied. I guess I was expecting it to be more surreal in the fantasy like story bits. They purposely didn't go over the top with special effects, but I can't help but think that would have entertained me more. I guess that could have led to wilder stories, which could have made it seem even less plausible though. I liked the part where time stopped, though that's been done before. Though unsatisfied throughout the movie, the ending was kind of nice the way it was resolved. There's nothing about the movie that would make me want to watch it again. I think Albert Finney played his part well, but in comparison to the enjoyment of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest, I really liked more of the characters in that movie and would watch it again because of them.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with you, Ryan. Nothing about this movie would make me want to watch it a second time.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deb25

I'm with you, Ryan. Nothing about this movie would make me want to watch it a second time.
Yeah, not a single thing. It wasn't a horrible movie, but it wasn't great.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To answer your question from the P&R thread, the song, Mrs. Robinson was written for The Graduate. Here's a site that has a couple of other cool trivia facts about the song itself.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.lasso?id=1283

Ok, I am going to open up a can of worms here, but I think that since this thread is specifically dedicated to discussing these films, I don't think we should worry about not posting thoughts so as not to 'spoil' the film for others. Let's just assume that people have watched the movies if they come to the thread. Otherwise, I picture everybody sidestepping discussing plots.

So....on that note....I didn't actually get to watch Cuckoo's Nest this weekend, but I have seen it. If I recall, wasn't MacMurphey lobotomized at the end of the film? A pretty powerful statement on the consequences of the choices one makes, IMO.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he was lobotomized at the end of the film... and I guess you're right, it is a statement on the how our choices affect us. I guess when I thought about it, I blamed Nurse Ratched for doing that and didn't think about how it was kind of his own fault.

I'd also like to add that I've seen the movie The Graduate MANY times and think it's great... though the ending makes me sad.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nurse Ratched was horrid, but MacMurphey thought he would escape the consequences of his actions (jail time) by taking the 'easy' way out. Didn't exactly go as he planned.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah that makes sense.

My "favorite" character was Billy, poor stuttering Billy. I felt really badly for him, more than I did for McMurphy.