Moved with cat now he's absolutely terrified

bourbonsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently made the move from Pennsylvania to Missouri. Of course my almost two year old all white deaf kitty, Bourbon came along. I was terrified about his well being and thought I did all the research I could find plus more. We drove 10 hours, he slept most of the time, he was a perfect little angel. The hotel of course he didn't quite like but we made it through. Then another long drive where he just looked out the window. Both drives went a million times better than I thought. Then we get to our new apartment where I was carrying him in (with a harness and a leash) and when I put him down he had a panic attack. He was jumping off walls and windows trying to find a place to hide I thought he was going to hurt himself. He found the master bathroom perfect... I realized after reading a few articles that what I did was wrong. 24 hours later (I put his box, food, water, bed in there with him and keep trying to comfort him) he's doing the same thing. Will not move or show any happiness or love. He was NOT like this before. What should I do?? I'm so worried...

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if putting a shirt you wore (not laundered) next to where he is would help calm him? 

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It most likely will.  We had a cat that had a fetish about some of my canvas shoes.  He loved to lay on them.  I don't know how comfortable that is, but he was fine.  Whenever we had to go out of town and board him somewhere, I made sure that pair of shoes went with him.  One time when we returned home and went to fetch him, I picked him up and sure enough, he had a claw firmly embedded in one of those shoes, and it came with.  :)

NOTE:  These were not the tennis or running shoes of today, but plain old ordinary canvas shoes.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bourbonsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I put clothes that are dirty and smell like us around his bed/crate.. I made the mistake of leaving all doors open but I closed them so he can get adjusted to just that small room. Thanks for the advice guys