Moved houses - not eating normally (for her)

prawna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have recently moved houses and my cat, Hetty seems to be settling in ok - as she uses litter box, plays, seems active/alert, and her normal self although she is jumpy to new sounds and sometimes hides a bit, but I know that is to be expected until she settles in and realises/gets used to certain sounds that are new to her and that no harm will come to her.

But, she is eating on and off. Well she is excited at feeding times (as usual!) and will start eating it, although occasionally stopping when a new noise occurs, but then quickly continues to eat. But she leaves half of it unfinished. I guess I shouldn't worry too much as she does, a few hours later, finish off the remaining food, so its not as if she is not eating at all, she just isn't eating it all in one go which she normally did in the old place I lived.

She has only been in here for 4 days, so it is still early days. But do you think she will settle in soon completely and once used to the place/sounds, she will eat all the food in one go? Maybe I am worrying for nothing as she is eating the normal quantity, just over a few hours.

pippicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wouldn't worry too much, I recently moved to a new place and my cat seems to be adapting well but like with your cat, Pippa is sometimes startled easily by new sounds/smells and can be put off her food for a bit until she calms down.

The fact she is still eating, whether or not all in one go, is a good sign.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The sounds perfectly normal for a kitty in a new environment, eventho surrounded by familiar things. If you want, you could get a Feliway diffuser to plug in to help calm her down and decrease the anxiety so she'll eat better.