Movable Lump Near Hind Quarters

krisash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been close to 2 and a half weeks since my 4 month old kitten, Lula, had her final shots and was spayed. I just noticed a movable quarter-sized lump by her back right hind section. I'm not sure if this is new or if it's been here a while and I'm a little worried it could be cancer. I just lost my first cat to cancer a few months ago so the paranoia from that is setting in again.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcojme to TCS.

The lower right back leg is where vets give rabies shots. KIttens are not supposed to get.their first rabies shot until age 4 moinths, however. I hope you still have an invoice from that appointment to see if Lula got it.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it is where your cat got an injection it could be a reaction. It would be delayed or something you noticed later. Best course of action is follow up with your vet to see if it is something to be concerned about.

libra4687

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 15 years old and has a soft, "moveable" lump. He has had it for years. Our vet said it was a benign cyst. According to her, a cancerous tumor would be a hard lump.

If it doesn't go away soon or it changes in shape, size, or feel I would head to the vet for a check up.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
My previous cat had one of those too. It only grew to the shape and size of a pea. The only vet who said anything about it was my current one. He said because she had it so long (over 10 years) it can't be cancer, which would cause problems in 3 years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krisash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcojme to TCS.

The lower right back leg is where vets give rabies shots. KIttens are not supposed to get.their first rabies shot until age 4 moinths, however. I hope you still have an invoice from that appointment to see if Lula got it.
If it is where your cat got an injection it could be a reaction. It would be delayed or something you noticed later. Best course of action is follow up with your vet to see if it is something to be concerned about.
I believe she did get her rabies shot about a week before her 4 month mark so I'm thinking this could be the cause. We have an appointment this week so hopefully the vet will have a better sense of what it is. Thank you!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I believe she did get her rabies shot about a week before her 4 month mark so I'm thinking this could be the cause. We have an appointment this week so hopefully the vet will have a better sense of what it is. Thank you!
I do know how scary it is. I had a cat die of cancer and my next cat developed a bump at a vaccine injection site. I was in panic mode right up until the vet said, "nothing to worry about." Hopefully you get the same news. Please let us know how it goes.

krisash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do know how scary it is. I had a cat die of cancer and my next cat developed a bump at a vaccine injection site. I was in panic mode right up until the vet said, "nothing to worry about." Hopefully you get the same news. Please let us know how it goes.
Will do! It's terrifying not knowing.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitty had a lump in the same place. The vet aspirated it and looked under a microscope. It turned out to be a reaction to the rabies vaccine. Not a tumor, just inflammation. The lump took a while to go away but it finally did. I was told not to vaccinate that kitty for rabies again.

krisash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty had a lump in the same place. The vet aspirated it and looked under a microscope. It turned out to be a reaction to the rabies vaccine. Not a tumor, just inflammation. The lump took a while to go away but it finally did. I was told not to vaccinate that kitty for rabies again.
I felt around on her brother the other day out of curiosity and found a similar lump in the same area so I'm fairly certain it's a reaction to their rabies vaccination. Will confirm tomorrow after the vet checks them out!

krisash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just checked in with the vet who felt the lump and said it was most likely the rabies shot and would diminish over the next few weeks! Very relieved to hear this after all the cancer struggles with my first kitty. Thank you all for your well wishes!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am glad it turned out to be minor. Same thing happened with my guy but it is always good to have the vet check it just to be safe.