MotherCat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind thoughts. My neighbor came over the other day and said that Patches caught a bird. She saw him taking away from where he caught it towards the place that we think MotherCat is. She has not been out for about four days now and I will bet anything that they are bringing food to her. My family is just the most wonderful bunch of cats. They have certainly humbled me in the way they show such caring for their own. I do not regret the time and money and tears that have been spent, when those beautiful eyes looke up at you and squint, it makes it all worth while.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
KittenKiya....I do hope that she eventually reappears so that you can trap and fix her. That way...the breeding cycle will be over for her.

Katie

cilla

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
KittenKiya I have been following your thread and wish you all the luck in the world. Please let us know how mother and babes go on.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going out of my mind. I have not seen MotherCat for a week and half. I know that Patches brought her a bird to eat, but I have not seen her at the food or water. I am leaving food and water out all night now, praying that the dogs stay away. I am so afraid that I am never going to see MotherCat again, and I don't if she is having a probem and she is my family's Matriarch. What can I do, beside bother you guys?

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wish there was a way to make her re-appear. I can only advise patience. If she has gone off to have babies, she may not reappear until they are weaned and able to care for themselves while she visits.

Come home momma cat!!!!!

patc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a tough one. I had to have my mommacat aborted after I trapped her. I don't know how far along her pregnancy was, but she was so depleted and malnourished it was really necessary.
I still HATED to do it.

Can you trap your momma and bring her inside to have her kittens? If she is anything like my momma, you won't see the kittens until they are 8 weeks or so old, and then you will have the job of trapping and taming them all!

At least if they are born in your house, they will all be tame and so much easier to adopt out.

Being aborted is not the worst thing, unfortunately. The world is a cruel place for little kittens being born outside.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just keep putting food and water out. Is it in the same place where she was eating it when she was visiting? I agree with Renae - she's probably had the kittens, and you may not see her until they're weaned. She will teach them the ropes - and that will include bringing them to the food you provided for her. Unfortunately, if you go looking for her, you may end up just making her move the nest.

In the meantime, just keep bothering us. It'll be about 3 weeks before they're weaned, and you're half-way through that. You may not see them until week 4 or so. Just keep sending out the vibe. We'll join you!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We let the kittens that turned up in our yard stay with mom for 12 weeks because we weren't sure we'd be able to find them homes - so we wanted them to learn all they could about surviving out there. When mom first took them on an excursion and they all disappeared for a few days we went completely nuts! Of course they came back, and after that we figured out what was going on. But I just wanted to share, because anyone who has rescued and cared for a feral colony know just what you're feeling right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry! One last note, LOL! Four of those five are living inside with us now.
The fifth is king of the farm that belongs to one of our vet's technicians.

cilla

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such an impossible situation because you have no idea what has happened. Have you put any ads in your local shops, vet etc? I would keep on putting the water and food out. Perhaps she has had kittens, if so you may not see her for a while yet, but she might be coming out at night to feed. Will pray for her Kittenkiya. Everyone here must feel so helpless too because we can't help find her for you, but at least we are here for you.

nan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My heart goes out to you.
I do hope Mother Cat turns up soon.
I had a similar predicament with Mrs. Black my matriarch cat.
She always disappears for a week or so when she has her kittens.
But she always reappeared eventually.
I was finally able to catch her and she has her babies(her last litter
) are doing well in their forever home. She will be spayed as soon as the kittens are weaned. And the kittens are already ok'd to be sterilized too when the time comes. I am doing the happy dance for me and for them.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Please keep on "pestering" us.( Its a joke, You are not a pest at all!)
I am here for you too. I know how you feel and it helps so much to talk to those who have been where you are.
Love and Life,
Nan

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I guess that's it. No MotherCat. No kits. The rest of the family is ok, I see them just about every day. But no Mom. I guess that she got really scared off when I was trapping, and figured that she would move on with her babies. I miss Mom. I so much wanted the entire family together, but I guess it was not to be. The neighbor next door had her skirting on her trailer tampered with and pulled open. I didn't see who did it, but I was hoping that she didn't think that I did it trying to find Mom. Now she's put two heavy plant pots filled with plants up against the skirting and if Mom was in there, she's not getting out, but I am sure she is not in there. Anyway, sorry to grouch.

becki71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was the same way. We noticed a feral pregnant cat in our backyard. We ended up trapping her because I was afraid she would have her kittens and I wouldn't be able to get to them. She just had four beautful kittens Friday nite and they are all doing great. Everyone told me to have the kittens aborted but I just couldn't do that. Maybe I just can't understand since I don't know how bad the cat population is. I've been doing much research on this. Anyway! The plan is to get mom and kittens all fixed and find homes for everyone. We found someone who wants mom cat and we might have homes for all the babies already. (keeping fingers crossed). But I will not let them go to there new homes until they are fixed or that defetes my whole purpose in trapping mom cat in the first place. Good luck.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, KittenKiya, I'm so sorry to hear this!!!! It's been quite a while now, and I know that sinking feeling that you'll never see her again. I'm so sorry. I'm sending up some prayers for you that she and her kittens are OK. You never know - they may turn up some time this summer! If there's food, there's a reason to come, anyway. You tried so hard and have done such great work in your area. Try your best not to let this get you down!!!