mother hates my cat... =(

clowangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure where to put this, so I put it in this section. Sorry, this is going to be a bit long.

I'm a student so I'm obviously living at home with my parents. And I'll probably be living with them until I marry (a Chinese thing). Not too long ago (3-4 months back), I got Sho quite spontaneously. I wasn't prepared for a cat, and no one else was either, but it was an emergency situation. My younger sister had gotten a call from her friend, someone I also happen to know. Someone had left in her care a cat. It was only supposed to be for a few days until a new home could be found permanently. Unfortunately she already had a small dog, and her mother was absolutely against another animal in the house--even if it was temporary. So my sister looked to me imploringly. I didn't want the poor thing to end up in a shelter because that was the likely scenario if no one kept him, so I agreed to take him in, knowing I'd be facing some serious opposition. The next morning, he arrived at my doorstep.

Now the problem is obviously my parents, specifically my mother. My mother absolutely hates cats. Serious hate. To be accurate, she's a hater of all animals and detests cats above all else, but I've been keeping quite a few pets anyway. Needless to say, it was a battle of wills that ensued that night. In the end I won, and Sho found a permanent home with us.

I had wanted them to have a good first impression of each other, but it was not to be. I'm guessing due to the stress of all the moving from household to household caused UTI and blockage. So Sho was peeing all over the place for a week, unable to hold it in because of an inflamed bladder. My mother would not listen. She refused to believe me and insisted it was a behavioral problem. Even my father tried to convince her Sho was sick, and that it wasn't his fault. She even threatened to throw him out on the streets, something I know she wouldn't do because she's afraid of my demonic temper. Just yesterday morning, she told my aunt to shut the front door because the cat could run out. And if I woke up to find the cat missing, it would be my aunt's head on a platter.

Sho's all better now, but my mother hasn't gotten used to his presence at all. I'm sure he can feel how much she doesn't like him because he always hides from her. If she's in his path, he'll go around under tables or behind furniture to get from Point A to Point B.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to better their relationship? I don't mean make miracles happen, but to at least be in the same room without all that tension. Does anyone else have similar experiences? If so, what have you done?

Note: Educating her about cats is impossible. She'll believe what she wants to believe.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first inclination is to find a good cat-loving husband in a hurry!

Seriously though, I wish I had an answer. The most important thing is to make sure your kitty always has fresh litter so the smell doesn't set your mom off. The better you take care of him, and the closer he bonds to you, the more likely your mom may mellow.

Best of luck.

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How old is Sho?

I was in a similar situation with my BF's mother. I always wanted my very own cat, and for the first few years I lived here I asked if I could get a cat, she always said no. Then, one night, a man bought a baby kitten to me, and I asked her if I could have him. She said yes, as long as I was responsible for his food, vet, litter, and general care. Because Monster was so young, he needed special care, bottle feeding, ETC. Everything was fine. Then, Monster got older, and he was acting as kittens do, he was CRAZY! He destroyed some things, which didn't make her like him at all, in fact she hated him. He became a target, always being blamed when something was broken\t(even if it wasn't him). When he was about 8-9 months old, he calmed down a lot. & I was hit by a car. While I was in the hospital, Monsters care was taken over by BF's mom, and he started sleeping with her, since I wasn't there for him to cuddle with. Needless to say, he grew on her, and se absolutely LOVES HIM & vice versa. I honestly believe that he loves her more than me, and if given the choice, he'd probably pick her over me. They seriously bonded over the period of time I was in the hospital. She even tells me that if BF & I move out, or if we break up and I move, that I am not allowed to take Monster with me. She said we would go to court and battle for custody of him LOL.

Give it some time. Try to get her to play with him, ask her to feed him for you while your at school. Try to get her to pet him. Its possible to go from hate to love.. It could happen. It happened wit Monster and BF's mom, and that is something I had thought was impossible. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clowangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@Dusty's Mom: O.O Problem with that is... I don't plan on marrying! Hahaha. Well, I'm too young to marry anyway. Although my mother would probably say, "In my village, girls married when they were sixteen."

Originally Posted by KiTTYL0VE4

How old is Sho?

Give it some time. Try to get her to play with him, ask her to feed him for you while your at school. Try to get her to pet him. Its possible to go from hate to love.. It could happen. It happened wit Monster and BF's mom, and that is something I had thought was impossible. Good luck!
Sho turned three in July. So he's not rambunctious or too crazy. He does have his insane moments though.

The problem with the playing and petting part is she refuses to go near him much less touch him. In fact she doesn't believe he should play at all, thinking it will only make him crazy. I told her she was nuts. If a cat has no outlet for his energy, then he WILL bounce off the walls and make a racket.

Another reason why she hates cats above all other animals is superstition. Sho is a black and brown tabby. But he's way more black than brown. So in her eyes, he's nothing but bad luck.

As for feeding, she works. She's not home to feed him. I get back a lot earlier than she does most days. It's already something-out-of-this-world that she's paying for his food.

I guess I should explain what type of person my mother is though. If anyone's familiar with how a typical Chinese matriarch is, that's her. She might be slightly Americanized, but she's still very very Chinese in the way she thinks and does things. Superstition is like a religion. Physical comfort and support is a foreign and abstract thought. Animals are only useful as a source of food or guarding of the home. The thought of bonding with an animal is seen as stupid and useless.

So like I said, I'm not asking for miracles. I just want them to be able to be in the same room without all the tension. Is there something I'm missing that I should point out to her about cats? Are there any 'good' superstitions about cats? -_-; Something that won't make her see him as vermin? Even indifference would be great.

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Forget Chinese tradition, move out to your own place and take kitty with you. May not be the advice you really want to hear. Yes sometimes hate can turn to love but its not as if she normally likes animals okay but happens to dislike just this one animal and might get over it eventually. She hates all animals, cats above all. I don't think that is goint to change.

Yes you could run out an find a cat loving husband real quick but marriage is a serious undertaking and should not be rushed into.

That leaves moving out. It may be a Chinese tradition that you live at home until you are married but you may have to let that tradition go. She may be very Chinese in her actions but you are in NYC and its 2009 and you have every right to move out and be on your own without a husband. Given your mother's feelings about animals, you are not going to change the tension.

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Considering your mothers feelings about cats, she must love you very much because she at least allowes you yo have the cat even if she will have nohing to do with him. I just think you mught be expecting or hoping for more than she can give.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it seems like your mother is sticking to her ways, but willing to accept your wishes and beliefs, to an extent. I have to say it is awesome that he is healthy, UTI free, using kitty litter only....this is exceptional! Most importantly keep his food, water, litter, living area clean and welcoming always. As far as your mother, as long as you can get her to completely ignore him, this is huge!
You need to make sure that you are available daily for play, snuggles, and simple acknowledgment. Your mother prefers to not notice the cat, and the kitty prefers to avoid your mother. It is up to you to create this

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems like your mom has already met you a bit of the way by allowing you her permission to have this animal she does not like in her very own home. Ignoring is OK, as you are the caretaker and the cat is well taken care of. Sometimes you can only ask so much of a person. As long as she is not mean to the cat, you may have to just come to terms with the only thing that will help her "come around", if she ever does, is time, don't push this, this is on the cat's time and her time. Time getting to know the kitty. Who knows, they might bond and become fond of one another at some point. I have heard of this happening

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try Ruthyb method and add some more. Look for positive stories in your culture about animals and cats.
It might help - or at least make her view cats in a bit better light.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clowangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks a bunch guys. The site on superstitions might actually help!