Mother died, one kitten remaining

zabby27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

I'm new here and need advice. My baby Toots, a 8 month-old tabby had her first litter this weekend. She was small, the babies were big and had 3 kittens in about 29 hours. Only one survived. We found Toots dead this morning.
The labour was too hard on her. My heart is broken but now I have to take care of Kiddie, the remaining kitten. I'll go get him some kitten replacement formula today and continue feeding him. Other tricks I should know about? I leave him in a blanket with a warm pouch of grain and a lamp over the box to keep him warm.... we're stomped. This has never happened to us...

decadenz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no.... I'm so sorry for your loss.

You should definitely get KMR down this kitten. Syringe feed, very gently, from the side of his mouth. Just nudge enough to get his lips open, and then gently syringe the formula in.

Actually, you may be able to find a bottle with a small-enough nipple which he can suckle from comfortably and that would be better. Pl keep the formula warm...

Please keep Kiddie warm with lots of towels (not terry cloth as his claws will get stuck in them), perhaps some snuggly furry (clean) toys, and a ticking clock wrapped in towels to sound like his momma. He'll need to be stimulated in order to poop... warm water on cotton and verrry gently clean his bum. I'm sure other people in here will teach you better than I. But may I stress the importance of gentleness.

Also have to put aside LOTS of time for him cos he'll have to feed often and regularly...

29 hours is way long... did you guys consult a vet?

decadenz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh with the lamp, you really have to be careful he doesn't get TOO warm... Sorry... just didn't want to leave any stone unturned...

Many other more experienced cat lovers here will help you out... I hope your kitten survives this...

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry.
I'm not a kitten expert so I don't have any advice to give, but I just wanted to express my condolences and wish you luck in taking care of Kiddie.

middletown

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh im so sorry for that poor momma kitty. My heart goes out to you.
You are in for a very rewarding experience though. I have bottle raised many kittens.
and there is no better loving cat that will bond tightly to you.

Important issues to keep in mind.

How long did the kitten nurse? any at all?
Kittens that young cannot fight off infections or illness. They receive all protection through their mothers milk for the first couple of days until their bodies kick in.
KMR is good, however i would HIGHLY recommend that you get a formula from your vet if thats not possible get KMR newborn. DO NOT USE COWS MILK. Goats milk may be used as a supplement. but NEVER cows milk.

First actions:
Make sure that the kitten does not dehydrate. You can supplement the KMR with pedialyte for the essential electrolytes. plus goats milk. (available at most grocery stores near baking supplies)

Make her a nest:
Kittens MUST be kept WARM. A lamp is dangerous, it causes hot spots and may burn and WILL dehydrate the kitten. Get rid of the lamp!!!!!! use a hot water bottle if a heat pad is not available.
they cannot maintain their own body heat at this age. Place a heating pad under some towels and make a "nest" in a box that is readily accessible to you. Kittens NEED temperatures ~ 100. it may seem hot to us, but to the kitten is purrfect. a Chilled kitten will die quickly. Keep a thermometer in the box to monitor the temperature. I CANNOT STRESS HOW IMPORTANT TEMPERATURE IS.

Be prepared to feed her every 4 hours. be prepared to check on her ever 1-2 hours.
AROUND THE CLOCK! You will have to do this for the next 3-4 weeks. set your alarm, take turns with your hubby and kids. Do NOT assume she will be ok.

after feeding with syringe or bottle, make sure you "burp" her. DO NOT feed the kitten on its back. it will aspirate milk and die.
After a couple feedings you will have to stimulate the anus/bathroom areas with a cotton ball or soft paper towel. Kittens cannot go bathroom on their own at this age. you will have to do this for it. stimulating this area will cause them to go. if you notice diarrhea, cut back on feeding.

spend LOTS of time with your kitten. Hold it close to your body. carry it around in a hooded sweatshirt pocket if you wish. just keep it warm and close to you often when you are watching tv or have personal downtime. it will sleep just fine.

While the kitten is sleeping. READ plenty on what you are doing. here are some great links for assistance. Im sorry but i have to go before i can get into the detail i would like to give you.

http://www.feralcat.com/raising.html
http://www.2ndchance.info/orphankitten.htm
http://www.kittenrescue.org/handbook.htm#Orphan

This first week of the kittens life if very tenuous. you may do all you can and it still die. it is tough. but i can promise you that after wards that cat will be like no other cat youve ever had. she will be part of the family 100%.

ill check back later for some more.
But PLEASE get rid of that LAMP.
WARMTH FOOD AND COMPANIONSHIP are the keys now.

good luck
Ric

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zabby27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everybody for your kind words and advice.

Ric.... Thank you! Ok, I'm nervous now as I am at work and the kitten is at home with a lamp close to him and hubby won't be home for 4 hours. I called him to tell him to take the lamp off as soon as he gets there. Hoping it won't hurt Kiddie. The lamp is pretty small and the box is really high. The baby fed on the mommy just once, for a few minutes. He was on evaporated milk afterwards (all vets and stores were close for Thanksgiving and a vet advised us to use Cornation milk until we got formula. I can give him Pedialyte? Wow, didn't know... This is new to us like I said. We started with one cat, Babs... Babs had Toots and then Toots had the babies this weekend. We do not have children so taking care of a tiny pet every hour and during the night will be quite challenging but we are 100% more than willing to commit. Kiddie is all we have to remember Toots and we owe the little guy our devouted attention. Hopefully he will be well. Thank you for everything...

decadenz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For future reference, all the kittens shd be born within 4 hours from start of labour. Anything longer than that requires a vet's attention...

To save much heartbreak, pl spay/neuter any cats you have. This is much better for their health too

I really hope Kiddie makes it!!!

zabby27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Decadenz,

I know anything over 4 hours is unusual. We spoke to 4 vets during those two days and 3 said that with such young mothers, it may take longer than 4 hours. Afterwards, after she lost a kitten stuck in the canal, the vet told us that even the standard $2000 c-section and blood transfusion may not help her. She was scheduled to get fixed when she got pregnant. She was only 5.5 months old at the time. My other cat is fixed and Kiddie, if he survives, will be too. You're right, it does save much heartbreak....

decadenz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ugh... those 3 vets know nuts. Even if young mothers may take longer, they still should have advised you to bring her in for a looksee! My feral rescue came to me young and pregnant too, she gave birth to 4 kittens when she was about 4-5 mths old. Unfortunately 3 crossed the Rainbow Bridge because momma caught a flu and passed the virus to them. I have one cute boy kitten left, and momma of course.

Anyhow, my cat had been in labour for over 5 hours with not even a tail showing. I rushed her to a vet and with their help, she managed to get the first kitten out... her (kitten's) head had been stuck in the birth canal. Vet said that if I had come later or not come at all, all of them might have died...

That's why your story touched a chord in my heart. And once again, I'm really very sorry for your loss... it must be so hard...

zabby27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your compassion... I live out in the country and the amount of vets around is very small and I think being a holiday, they might have been trying to dissuade me from going in to see them (then they would've have to leave their cushy home to open the clinic for my Toots). One vet I spoke too really really hurt. I explained the situation, with Toots pushing for the same kitten for hours and all he said was: Well, either you can give me about $2000 or it's euthanasia. And he's been my other cat's vet for years. I'm switching. The lack of compassion in a moment of panick and sadness stung like a bee. Had we known the gravity of her case... I still don't know how we would've come up with that kind of money but it would've been an incentive to find it!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zabby27

Thank you so much for your compassion... I live out in the country and the amount of vets around is very small and I think being a holiday, they might have been trying to dissuade me from going in to see them (then they would've have to leave their cushy home to open the clinic for my Toots). One vet I spoke too really really hurt. I explained the situation, with Toots pushing for the same kitten for hours and all he said was: Well, either you can give me about $2000 or it's euthanasia. And he's been my other cat's vet for years. I'm switching. The lack of compassion in a moment of panick and sadness stung like a bee. Had we known the gravity of her case... I still don't know how we would've come up with that kind of money but it would've been an incentive to find it!
I personally would be inclined to report this vet. The least he could have done was give you a number or location of an emergency or on-call vet.

He would not get any more of my business for sure and I would copy him on the letter I wrote to report his behaviour.

zabby27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know.... I am never ever bringing Babs in there again, nor my new Kiddo if he makes it. And I will send him a letter too. My hubby was outraged. So was I.

middletown

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Zabby

You are so welcome! Dont feel guilty about the lamp. its a learning experience. best advise is to read as much as you can to educate yourself.
Yes pedialyte works great for kits you can also use it to assist in weaning with kitten glop. but thats in a couple of months away. BUT dont use Pedialyte only.. get some kitten formula from your pet store. use pedialyte as a suppliment. goats milk too.
the baby will need the KMR ingrediants more than anything right now as far as food goes. Warmth food and sleep is all they will do for the first week. the more attention you shower upon her just by holding her close, the tigher the bond you will have. and it is a miracle. a genuine reward and gift. It will be a GREAT experience. I am sure you and your husband will go to work red eyed from lack of sleep more than once : )
i know i did.

here is my last litter of babies : http://users.adelphia.net/~middletow...cts/index.html

Happy thanks giving! i just saw you are in ontario. im just south of you near buffalo.
Take care and Good luck. feel free to messesge me if you need.

edit: fixed link

kathylou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never taken care of a kitten that young. I'm very sorry for your loss and I wish you and kitten the best luck.

zabby27

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much everybody!

So far, everything is doing so great. We are coping with the loss and Kiddie helps focus our energies... He drinks wonderfully, every 3.5 hours and since we both work during the day, I have a sister, mother and cousin who swing by to feed him. He's eliminating quite well too and sleeping good. His body temperature seems normal and I'll just run over to PetSmart to get Kitten Wipes. We already feel very close to him and Middletown, you are right... eyes are a bit red right now!!
But what a great experience it has been!!

kathylou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am glad the kitten made it through the night. Sounds like you guys are doing a great job!

middletown

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kumbulu

Zabby, that website Tanya gave you should read www.kitten-rescue.com Good luck with the little one and please don't hesitate to ask if you have questions.
What a great site.

Zabby,

We all are so happy that the baby made it through the night. Keep us posted on his progress.
About the red eyes...the only solution i found is taking Cat Naps