mother cat with swollen nipple area

fgj sfhdgj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i just noticed that the mother cat has developed a swollen cyst like bump on her belly. its really weird. i think it hurts her to feed the kittens who are going on three weeks. should i bring them in again? we had them indoors but the mother cat stayed outside because it would have been a little difficult brining her in, and she waited at the door for them. so we took them out to her so she could feed them. before that she was suddenly very skinny and sick looking. she wouldn't eat when i offered her food. thats why i brought them in. because she didn't seem like she could take care of them. but then she started eating and seemed okay. now she's got this bump. what should i do?

and on a side note, id like to have the kittens live inside. so they can be safe and live longer. but is it wrong to take them from their mother who would live outside? it doesn't seem right to me to have some live inside and others live outside. we do have one other cat, her older son. but we could bring them out regularly couldn't we? or would that just not work? if it would though, when should i separate them? theyre outside now because we thought she needed to give them her milk. we thought maybe thats why she was sick before, because we had them outside in a kennel with the door locked at night so no predators could get to them when we couldn't check on them. after that night she seemed sick. but with the bump (any ideas on what that may be and how to help?) i think we should take them from her at least for now. if we do, should we bring them outside frequently so she knows they're okay?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mum will get pregnant again pretty soon if she is out.  I have no idea what the bump is but the vet would know.  He can also worm her and hopefully will spay her before the kittens wean (my vet will not), and the kittens need worming as well.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be mastitis, needs a vet check either way.  Why can't she come inside? Perhaps you have a garage she can safely stay in until the kitten are weaned? That way she'll be safe and won't get pregnant again before you spay her.

If you bring them in you'll have to bottle feed them every 3-4 hours around the clock.