Mother cat removed kittens from home

Sorayachina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat with 4 kittens. They are all indoor outdoor cats. They are about 3.5 months old. Two are strong and big and two are smaller . I spend time outside with them and I also have a door cracked so they can go in and out , especially the mom. Two days ago I get home and the two bigger kittens are gone . I called for them but they didn’t come. They have always hung out with their siblings when playing outside . So even when we were all outside they didn’t come. This only happens when the mother hides them. They only listen to her. Anyway, they never showed up once. Then in the wee hours they reappear in the house and I wake up out of sleep and see them eating their food. But then they were gone again. I haven’t seen them for two days now. The mom comes home and the two smaller kittens are attached to me now. But haven’t seen the bigger two for about two days now and I can’t find them. I’m upset. Does anyone know what this behavior is. I’m hoping she brings them back soon. With the two kittens in the house she just hisses and chases them away if they get near her. This is happened g for three days now

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is weaning them and will box their ears and get nasty to keep them away. the two little ones like your house and decided to stay. the outdoors is FULL of dangers, especially from cars and predators. the only way to keep them safe is to keep them in or in an enclosure. the bigger kittens decided they like the outdoors. but are really too young to defend themselves. mom is most likely pregnant again. you could live trap them and neuter/spay, that usually keeps them closer to home. you will have a lot of kittens in the future if you dont, those young ones can become pregnant around 5-6 months. i am so glad they came back to eat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sorayachina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat gave birth to her kittens inside the house. they got bigger , but she would move them around a lot. my cat has a cat door so she can come and go. one night she must have taken two of her kittens out and hid them somewhere. because i didn’t see them the next day. i thought they would show up soon enough, like she would bring them home, but she never did and i never saw them again. it’s sad. but i figured they are her kittens and she has her cat ways. i’ve noticed that most kittens don’t seem to make it

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
i’ve noticed that most kittens don’t seem to make it
Yes, very few feral kittens survive their first year. That's why it's so important to make sure that all of the animals you care for, indoor pets and outdoor feral cats alike, are spayed and neutered.

Did you manage to get the mother cat and the other two kittens spayed and neutered?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes please have her spayed. Its not healthy for her to breed till exhastion it can and does happen with back to back litters. Have homes lined up for the two kittens if you don't intend to keep them.

Genneraly any cat doors should be kept locked untill kittens are fully weaned to prevent her from dumping them as you witnessed happen.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You must keep them all inside until they are spayed or neutered. Please get your mom cat spayed, so she does not continue to mate and have litter after litter. This is not healthy. Baby kittens should not be allowed outside under any circumstances, so this may be why they are lost — they were too little to go out. So, spaying prevents litters and if there is one, you do NOT let them outside at all because they are too little to care for themselves and they get lost.