Mother cat possibly not stimulating kittens

Rayn89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I can't actually tell if she is or not bc i leave them alone for the most part. The kittens are 4 days old, and their bellies look a bit distended. I usually check on them 4-5 times a day. I'll shine a light in their box, pet mama, let them be. Mother is very ok with my presence, purring and greeting my occasional visits. The thing is, I never see her licking their anal area or catch her cleaning up. She's a first time mom about 18 months of age. I'm feeding her canned kitten food and did so throughout the pregnancy. I fed her Royal Caine but had to switch recently bc the store ran out. All are very healthy and gaining weight nursing regularly. It's been years since I cared for a litter and it seems like I remember observing cleaning behavior a lot more. Is that something that's typical in new mothers? Neglecting to stimulate poo? Or is it more instinctive and to be expected?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS! I just had an experience with my first litter of kittens and the mother cat is constantly bathing them, even though they are weaned. She even allows them to nurse, though she she was spayed as soon as the kittens could eat solid food. I would recommend calling your vet to seek advice. She may be taking care of business while you are not present, preferring to soak up your attention when you are around (all moms need a break now and then :)). I'd call to make sure, though, as sometimes new moms who are trying don't know exactly what to do. Please let us know. And thank you for joining to TCS! You are very welcome here and I hope you will stay around in our friendly little community.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rayn89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS! I just had an experience with my first litter of kittens and the mother cat is constantly bathing them, even though they are weaned. She even allows them to nurse, though she she was spayed as soon as the kittens could eat solid food. I would recommend calling your vet to seek advice. She may be taking care of business while you are not present, preferring to soak up your attention when you are around (all moms need a break now and then :)). I'd call to make sure, though, as sometimes new moms who are trying don't know exactly what to do. Please let us know. And thank you for joining to TCS! You are very welcome here and I hope you will stay around in our friendly little community.
Thank you very much, yes I'll ask the vet. I live in a small town and it seems like I've had more luck on my own at times than with the local vet sadly.. If their tummies look any bigger, I'll take them in. I had lost an orphan kitten when I was a child around 9. I was nursing it and it was eating well, but suddenly died after 3 days. His little tummy swelled up and he just passed. I didn't learn until years later that you have to make them poo! I'm probably a bit paraniod now as it always hurts to loose little ones! They're probably fine I'm just cautious. Thanks for your help though I am monitoring the situation and am glad to have 4 beautiful healthy babies and mom without any major complications so far.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The mom is likely cleaning them when you are not around, and a round little kitten belly usually means the kittens are getting plenty of nutrition to grow on! The fact your childhood kitten passed suddenly with a big belly is probably unrelated, but I do understand your concern.

You can try stimulating each kitten’s bottom with a warm damp cloth to see if they poo if you’d like, but most cats instinctively know what to do. Still, it can’t hurt if you’d like to help mom out.

Are you seeing poop on the bedding? Most bedding needs changing every couple of days as it gets messy and soiled from kitten poop and mom’s vaginal secretions.