Mother Cat Leaving Kittens A Lot? Is This Normal?

Jasmine Romalia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yesterday my neighbours cat gave birth to four kittens, three healthy and one stillborn. She has her own box in private in their house under a bed, but today she’s been trying to come over non stop and seems to be leaving her kittens an awful lot. And it’s not like she’s only leaving for a short amount of time, too - she came over for around an hour this morning before going back. She has always seemed to take a liking to us more than her actual owners, (I think it’s because we give her more attention) but I’m starting to worry that she’s leaving them for too long. When she’s with them she’s a great mother, but she seems to not care about spending a long time with them either. She’s been so playful and just keeps trying to run into my house, I thought she’d be more tired after giving birth! (even though she’s never allowed to go in my house she always seems to find a way in, quite often through a window or she just bolts in the second we open the door. Even when she does make her way in all she does is goes under my bed then sleeps!). Next time she’s out for too long or next time she tries to come in should I take her back home? Should I be worried more about this behaviour?

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I’d talk to the neighbor and see if they can prevent her from getting out, for her Kittens sake and her own. Even though she’s apparently used to going outdoors it should be avoided with new moms. If something were to happen to her then her Kittens would be orphaned and bottle feeding young Kittens is a very big and job! Mama cat is obviously used to going out quite a lot but you never know when something bad will happen. I just had a friend who’s outside cat got hit by a car on a road she’s knew well and wandered her whole life. You just never know. With wild animals or even dogs as a threat as well.

Secondly, new moms can go into heat days after giving birth so being outside should be avoided completely until the kittens are weaned and Mom can be spayed.