mother cat keeps moving newborns

weber32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My female cat had her litter on monday. She keeps moving them to different spots. I move them back to where she first movedthem to then she turns around and moves them back to the new spot. Is this normal? Is there something i could do to make her leave them in one place? Please help.

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A mother cat will move her kittens to a spot she feels safest. In the wild a mother cat would move her litter multiple times to avoid predators.

Make sure she can have a warm, dark place (i.e. a cupboard, or corner of a room) so that she can make sure she has a full view of whats going on.

Let her be, unless she has moved somewhere that is dangerous or really inconvenient.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weber32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. i wasnt sure, never had a cat give birth.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's all a new big thing huh?
Sounds like she's being a good mommy kitty. But she should save her energy to nurse the kitties. Where does she keep moving them to? I provided some soft bedding for where my kitty chose to keep hers (which WASN'T where she gave birth, I sort of helped her choose a new spot later!)

weber32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have her upstairs. she 1st had them under the bed now she has them in front of my bathroom vanity. but she is doing a great job at feedin them. i can already see them growing, hehe.

weber32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i will as soon as i get a chance to get some taken.

andria313

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she's not moving them to inaccessible or dangerous spots, I wouldn't worry about it too much. The most important thing is that she feels safe. If she is though, you may want to try to "contain" her somewhere. My cat had her litter on Tuesday, and we had her birthing box set up in the bathroom under the vanity. I also set out some towels in various spots around the bathroom, so she could move the kitties to a few comfortable places, and for the first few days we kept the bathroom door closed. That way she could technically choose her own spot, but it had to be in the bathroom! I'm sure it also feels more private to her to have her "own room". You could try this in a bathroom, laundry room, office, etc... and see if she settles in a bit. Mine hasn't moved her kittens from the birthing box, and we keep the door slightly ajar now so she can come visit us when the babies are sleeping
Good luck and I hope this helps!

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's normal for mothers to move their kittens. Give her a nesting box (a large cardboard box turned on its side and lined with a tightly folded towel is ideal) and see if you can get her to accept that.

And please, please, call the vet in the morning and make an appointment for Mom and the kittens to be spayed/neutered 12 weeks from now!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that works very well - just wait until they start running around!!! My kitties had the whole basement. Good thing - there were lots of them.

weber32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
that does help, but the funny thing is, my vanity is in my hall by the bathroom(yeah its set up funny). and everyone walks right by there and uses the sink. i have tried to move them back in the bedroom like 5 different times and she always comes in and gets them and takes them right back to that spot. so i guess if she feels safe there i will let her be.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your kitty pretty attached to you? She might have chosen the spot because she knows you're at it frequently and doesn't want to have to choose between you and her kits.

weber32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
lol, guess they will have to do something or just work around them. :-)

weber32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah she is pretty attached to me. everytime she comes in the room when she was moving them, she would stop at my feet meow, let me pet her and go get another one. or if i looked at her after she moved the kittens she would meow at me.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by weber32

yeah she is pretty attached to me. everytime she comes in the room when she was moving them, she would stop at my feet meow, let me pet her and go get another one. or if i looked at her after she moved the kittens she would meow at me.
The only request that I would make is that you ensure that she is kept indoors only until she weans her kittens and can be spayed. Unfortunately cats can become pregnant again fairly soon after giving birth, so you need to be vigilent that she cannot get out. As far as spaying options, if you need a low cost clinic, just click the link below for options in Ohio:

http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html#oh

Katie

weber32

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for all the info. i think i finally found her a safe spot. i took a cardboard box and turned it on its side(which was some of the advice that had been given to me) lined it with a rug that she likes to lay on and some towels. i put the box in my room next to my bed. ever since she has been there, comes and goes as she pleases. and she is taken real good care of the babies. again, thanks for all the advice..