Mother cat has gone missing

ramelaramela

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is in and outdoor cat. She had kittens 2 weeks ago. Until now, she only had been leaving them for half an hour of maximum an hour. But today she went outside 4 hours ago and still hasn’t come back. Is this a normal behavior? Is it normal the mother cat leaves her kittens for that long? Or should i be worried?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is in and outdoor cat. She had kittens 2 weeks ago. Until now, she only had been leaving them for half an hour of maximum an hour. But today she went outside 4 hours ago and still hasn’t come back. Is this a normal behavior? Is it normal the mother cat leaves her kittens for that long? Or should i be worried?
Does she have access to go inside whenever she wants? I had a stray that liked to watch her kittens(take a break from nursing) from my neighbors or using the restroom. Since she is not fixed I assume keep her inside

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has your cat returned yet? You must keep her inside until after the kittens wean and you can get her spayed.

In the meantime, you need to syringe feed these 2-week-old kittens with kitten formula. Do you have formula on hand? Do you know how to feed? They need to be fed every 2-3 hours around the clock or they can die.

If your cat is not back you have an emergency on your hands as the kittens cannot go very long without nursing their mom or receiving kitten formula.

Please update!

R ramelaramela

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its normal behavior in that factum, cats arent protected by nursing.... So she got almost surely into heat, and went out to search after a tom...
With a little luck she will return sooner or later.... If not - she perhaps got run over by a car, in her detoriated state of mind - you have some small orphans to handraise.

Anyway, take the safe before the unsafe, and prepare / begin to hand raise them. As SArthur said...

Please report to us; and if momma doesnt come back, we will help you with advices how to handraise.

Just one remark already now. If you have difficult to get a good kmr, goats milk works as an OK alternative, and also, as a good supplement of momma - or you their humans.