Mother Cat Eyeing And Growling At Kittens

Mesha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is a first time mom and she had a litter of 3 kittens about 3 months ago
One of these kittens is very playful like her mother and sometimes she sneak at her mom from behind and jump at her
She was the ideal mother to them for those past month until yesterday at 5 am I heard some cats fighting outside. Note that these cats belong to my neighbours and sometimes I hear them fighting then I go immediately to check on my cats and I usually find the mother cat sitting there looking towards the noise with her kittens behind her and I sit there with them to comfort them
But not this time. after I heard the cats outside I got up to check on my cats but before I reached them immediately after I heard my cats fighting
The mother cat was fighting one of her kittens
I managed to break the fight and thankfully no one got hurt
I still don’t know why this happened but maybe the kitten snuck at her mom from behind like she usually does and the shock caused the mother to attack her kitten thinking it was one of those cats outside
Later on in the day the mother groomed that same kitten and nursed her and everything seemed normal with the kitten
But the mom often comes to the kittens while they’re playing and star at them before she sits away from them and sometimes growl
When she sees the kittens play wrestling together she comes quickly to them and stand there and glare at them as if she’s about to attack
The vet told me to play with her away from her kittens and spend time with her but she so far ignored my attempts to play
Any advice on what I should do?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she and they spayed? If so please do so.

Here I think the separation process has began.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s time to spay mom and spay and neuter the kittens or there will be more fighting of the male kittens. Do you have a vet who can fix them all now?