Mother cat always hungry

CursiveTea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm having issues with my cat. I've had her since she was born and her mother didn't leave her prematurely, etc. So stray is not an issue for her. She started this behavior after she had kittens. They're 2 1/2 months old now and she's just unbearable. Immediately starts roaming for food when she comes inside. Jumps in my son's highchair, tries to stay in the kitchen when I'm cooking or even if I go to get anything in there, she thinks it's for her. Underfoot if I turn with a plate meowing, ripping packages open, getting into the garbage can, on the counters the second I walk away stealing whatever she can find. Last time was half a stick of butter. Add all the complaints of the OP and I'm fed up and about to get rid of her. She's completely a different cat and doesn't want to play or cuddle.

Last edited by a moderator:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know this thread is really old, but I'm having the same issue with my cat. I've had her since she was born and her mother didn't leave her prematurely, etc. So stray is not an issue for her. She started this behavior after she had kittens. They're 2 1/2 months old now and she's just unbearable. Immediately starts roaming for food when she comes inside. Jumps in my son's highchair, tries to stay in the kitchen when I'm cooking or even if I go to get anything in there, she thinks it's for her. Underfoot if I turn with a plate meowing, ripping packages open, getting into the garbage can, on the counters the second I walk away stealing whatever she can find. Last time was half a stick of butter. Add all the complaints of the OP and I'm fed up and about to get rid of her. She's completely a different cat and doesn't want to play or cuddle.

How much food are you feeding the kittens and mom cat? Kittens are hungry bottomless pits. It's recommended to feed kittens as much food as they want to eat. Mom cat probably needs extra food to make up for all the milk she's had to produce for the hungry kittens. Feed mom cat more food for a few weeks to see if that curbs the hangry behavior. And please have her spayed once the kittens are weaned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CursiveTea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mom already has a spay date for Tuesday and as such, has been inside the whole time. Hers and ours choice. I was giving her canned food the last couple weeks of her pregnancy as well as after the babies were born. I make her and the kittens a concoction of tuna, eggs and oatmeal and they have dry food out at all times. I'm at a loss.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the kittens are still nursing she will be hungrier. After she is spayed her appetite will diminish over time. For now, give more wet food. Also, see that she gets wormed. Cats with worms are hungry. I understand your frustration, but please try to be patient with her for now.

It’s also time to spay and neuter the kittens soon. Go ahead and set their appointments.

Please keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is the cat food you give her? Observe, normal cat food for adults contains quite few fat, sometimes too little...
Making sure the cat food is of good quality and full fat kitten type (20-24% in dry food) is the easiest way to feel her satysfied...

Had she been dewormed lately? Cats allowed to go out, do often have worms; and thus, needs sometimes deworming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CursiveTea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is the cat food you give her? Observe, normal cat food for adults contains quite few fat, sometimes too little...
Making sure the cat food is of good quality and full fat kitten type (20-24% in dry food) is the easiest way to feel her satysfied...

Had she been dewormed lately? Cats allowed to go out, do often have worms; and thus, needs sometimes deworming.
Her and the kittens have been eating an all natural kitten food (I read that's best for mother as well as more nutrition for her.l have not had her dewormed yet. I see no signs and she is indoors at all times since before she had the babies. She's just a completely different cat. She doesn't want cuddles, doesn't want to play, etc. Her personality is changed.