Mother Away From Kittens For 2 Days

Noel T

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

Will a mother go back to looking after her kittens after being away for 2 days?

The Story
We are forstering a first time, young mother and her 4 kittens (now 8 day old).

For the first day we had her, she was very nervous and hid, but when we left the house she would appear and feed and look after her kittens (we have a camera on them).

However, after a day she got too curious and got stuck in a cavity wall. At first we though she was just hiding but then realised she was stuck and distressed. Getting her out was a stressful job which involves removing bricks (loudly), freeing her and biting. I have never seen a cat so terrified. But we got her out and left her in a big cat crate with food, water and litter overnight to calm down. She got some sleep and ate and drank water. She also doesn't look to be injured.

In the meantime, my wife and I have been feeding the kittens and helping them go to the bathroom.

So my question is, how should we introduce the kittens back to their still very nervous mother? We're worried in case she hurts the kittens.

Thanks!
Noel

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
N Noel T

You simply return her to her kittens in a very safe enclosed space such as a bathroom or large dog crate. Put her food, water, and litter in with her, and leave her be with her kittens except to check on her.

Lights should be low and noise and foot traffic at a minimum. Speak softly and move slowly.

If you use a crate, cover 3 sides with a blanket or sheet for privacy.

She should relax once in a small, private safe space. She's frightened and distrustful at present.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Noel T

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
N Noel T

You simply return her to her kittens in a very safe enclosed space such as a bathroom or large dog crate. Put her food, water, and litter in with her, and leave her be with her kittens except to check on her.

Lights should be low and noise and foot traffic at a minimum. Speak softly and move slowly.

If you use a crate, cover 3 sides with a blanket or sheet for privacy.

She should relax once in a small, private safe space. She's frightened and distrustful at present.
Thanks! I have done just that and they have been together and alone now for about 30 minutes... The kittens are screaming crying and the mother is ignoring them. How long should I leave them for do you think? I've a camera set up so I can keep an eye on them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you need to give her some time. When were the kittens fed last?

Where have you put the crate?

Noel T

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you need to give her some time. When were the kittens fed last?

Where have you put the crate?

Last fed and went to the toilet about 4-5 hours ago now so they will be getting pretty hungry. The crate is against the wall of a quiet room with no one near it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You'll need to feed the kittens now. 4-5 hours is much too long for 8 day old kittens to wait! They need feeding every 2 hours at this age.

Please feed them and leave them with mama kitty. Continue feeding them and leaving them with her for now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
N Noel T

I'm wondering if the babies have quieted now after their feeding, and how mama is doing. She looks so young in the picture - a kitten herself, bless her heart.

Can you perhaps open the cage door and let mama have the run of a safe room with a closed door? I sense that she is not happy or comfortable in the crate.

Noel T

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
N Noel T

I'm wondering if the babies have quieted now after their feeding, and how mama is doing. She looks so young in the picture - a kitten herself, bless her heart.

Can you perhaps open the cage door and let mama have the run of a safe room with a closed door? I sense that she is not happy or comfortable in the crate.
Thanks for all the advice! Yep, I fed them, let them go to the toilet and now they are back with mammy. I'll keep feeding for now if mammy doesn't until she is comfortable enough to do it herself. That is a great idea, we have a small spare room which is unused at the moment. I will move them all up there so mammy can have the run of the room.

She is really young. The rescue centre who we are fostering for said she is only about 10-12 months (doesn't stop her from climbing into walls though :) ).

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
N Noel T

Thank you for the update. I'm hoping that she will settle in and begin nursing her own kittens sometime over the next 24 hours.

I hope she will feel calmer and safer in the small room out of the crate.

Make sure there is some sort of safe "hiding place" for her in the room, even if it is behind an easy chair or under a small table with a cloth over it, or even in a closet in the room.

Keep feeding the babies in the meantime! Are you weighing them daily to make sure they are gaining weight?

If you post their weights I can tell you how much formula each needs.

You guys are doing a great job! :)

Noel T

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great news! She started nursing them again.

Phew!!! I was very worried for a couple of days. Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
N Noel T

That's awesome! I figured she would if given enough space and privacy to feel safe. :)

Did you move her to the spare room and open the cage door?