Mother Attacks Her Kittens

mahmoud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat (2.5 years) had kittens (2 females) last april and she was caring and protective and everything was normal and they are not weaned so far, yesterday she started acting up and growls and hisses if they go near her and she started to attack them, i keep them separate but i don't want to give the little ones away, so if someone knows anything that might help please tell me.
I don't know if this could be helpful but yesterday i gave one of them a bath, and that was the first time for either of them, i used the same shampoo that i usually use with the mother since the beginning.
Does she not recognize them as her own? Or is she trying to wean them? Or does she want them gone?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It may be the new scent - but it was just one of them, and she attacks both? So I think its beginning of the rejection process. Quite natural. But if you dont want to adopt them out - I presume the trick is to separate them for awhile. And later on reintroduce them - when everyone is sapyed and everything.
The idea is she wont see them as her kittens whom she rejected, but as young cats to be friend with, and to be the leader of the group.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The scent could be a factor, but at the age they are I think she is weaning them. They hiss and growl and lash out at any kittens coming near. She most likey is in heat again too, or already pregnant, and knows she must build up her strength for the new ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mahmoud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It may be the new scent - but it was just one of them, and she attacks both? So I think its beginning of the rejection process. Quite natural. But if you dont want to adopt them out - I presume the trick is to separate them for awhile. And later on reintroduce them - when everyone is sapyed and everything.
The idea is she wont see them as her kittens whom she rejected, but as young cats to be friend with, and to be the leader of the group.
I think if its the scent it might have been transfered from one to the other since they are always playing with each other, it i will keep them seprated for a while and what might happen. Thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mahmoud

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The scent could be a factor, but at the age they are I think she is weaning them. They hiss and growl and lash out at any kittens coming near. She most likey is in heat again too, or already pregnant, and knows she must build up her strength for the new ones.
I too think it might be weaning, because they were feeding just 2 days ago. also She is in heat, but that's isn't her first one since birth, she had a few, and if its the scents i might wash just to be sure and hopefully that works. Thank you.