Most Likely Kidney Cancer

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi not sure what I'm looking for with this I guess and thoughts especially if there are any professionals.

I had another thread going and in my head I'm trying to piece together what happend with my 8 year old cat. It's hard bc he seemed fine before taking him to the vet for what I thought was a possible ear infection and a little diarrhea. Or mushy poo. Ever since that visit where they gave him a Convenia shot, meds in his ear one a steroid, and one dose of metronidazole he declined.

I thought he was having a poor reaction to the meds which I think he did but yesterday they found what they believe to be a giant mass on his right kidney If anyone is good at reading images I have them just for extra advice.

The vet did not do the aspirate of it bc they were holiday staffed and the Doctor said the mass was in a bad spot that could cause for bleed one they would wait till Wednesday for their more skilled Dr. But they made it sound like this mass was so big and even with that there isn't much to be done. The other option is surgery but again they didn't sound optimistic and that they had to make sure it hadn't spread and he could handle this. Money and risk wise I don't even know I could do this but I would do anything for him if I thought I could help.

So after being there all day they gave him some anti nausea meds, some subq fluids, and take home antibiotics in case this mass was possibly an abscess. Plus take home anti nausea. But they talked like I would most likely have to put him down in the next few days.

Note after this appointment he won't stop going to the litter box. Maybe the fluids did this to him not sure? But wasn't doing this before the appointment.

I'm having a hard time processing all of this bc like I said he went from eating being able to walk and be ok to after a dose of metronidazole none of those things. Now I know a mass doesn't grow overnight but Jesus the coincidence behind all of it is weird. My only explanation would be the meds they gave him bc of his kidney not doing good became more toxic quickly than if he would of been healthy.

He is eating more now that I got him home but he is weak and not well. Not walking good. I dont think in pain but uncomfortable. I most likely will call to have him put down at my home as soon as the next appointment is available.

Just as a long shot if anyone happens to read this whole thing and knows about Ultra sounds and wants to share any thoughts. My heart wants to believe there's a chance for him bc it feels too soon to say goodbye.

Attachments

MAGICKCAT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there Leslie, I'm sorry this is happening. I am not a professional, and I certainly have no training in reading xrays, but I do hope that your baby will pull through. Sending healing, love and light to you and your furbaby.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not a professional so I can't read the images. Most of the folks on this site are not professionals, so I am not sure anyone will be able to make an assessment.

But I did want to mention that there have been a few posts on this site about bad reactions to Covenia injections, and the antibiotic is supposed to be long lasting - about two weeks. A lower dose is usually warranted in cats with renal issues. It can cause inappropriate urination, lethargy, among other things. If he should be having a reaction, it might take a while to see an improvement in him. IMO, it doesn't help matters that he was given two antibiotics at one time. However, if he only had one oral dose of the Metronidazole, I am not sure how much of an impact it could have made, although this med can cause side effects like lethargy and trouble walking.

The fact that he is eating better is a good sign. So, first and foremost, I would watch for additional improvements. Is he still going to the litter box more frequently? If this were to be related to the sub-Q fluids, you should see it dissipate pretty quicky.

I noticed the images were done by Blue Pearl - are you working with an internal medicine vet from that institution? If not, I would ask to consult with one.

Wish I had more to offer...

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am not a professional so I can't read the images. Most of the folks on this site are not professionals, so I am not sure anyone will be able to make an assessment.

But I did want to mention that there have been a few posts on this site about bad reactions to Covenia injections, and the antibiotic is supposed to be long lasting - about two weeks. A lower dose is usually warranted in cats with renal issues. It can cause inappropriate urination, lethargy, among other things. If he should be having a reaction, it might take a while to see an improvement in him. IMO, it doesn't help matters that he was given two antibiotics at one time. However, if he only had one oral dose of the Metronidazole, I am not sure how much of an impact it could have made, although this med can cause side effects like lethargy and trouble walking.

The fact that he is eating better is a good sign. So, first and foremost, I would watch for additional improvements. Is he still going to the litter box more frequently? If this were to be related to the sub-Q fluids, you should see it dissipate pretty quicky.

I noticed the images were done by Blue Pearl - are you working with an internal medicine vet from that institution? If not, I would ask to consult with one.

Funny you mention the Covenia I was spinning on that this morning. Like maybe this isn't a mass but inflammation and fluid from the toxicity of those shot. It's been well over 2 weeks now maybe like 2.5 but looks like it stays in the system for 65 days.

I'm trying to find in these stories if anyone had any successful treatments after this goes down. So far I've only read death.

Thank you yeah I'm hoping to get some 2nd opinions about the ultrasound. I know it would be more clear if I do the small needle aspirations but this cat has been through so much and everytime we go to the vet he comes home worse than where I started. Even since yesterday he seems worse. So I need to take a min to think before I put him through that.

If you know anything to try to help combat the side effects of this shot let me know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Just curious with the Convenia shot he got it on a Thursday and it wasn't till Sunday right after I gave the Metronidazole that he went down hill. This is why I associated it with Metronidazole. Just curious would it take that long to effect like that?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
What you are being told about the aspiration and surgery is true. You don't want someone to take a stab, literally, at the mass who is not experienced with aspirations. In itself, a fine needle aspiration is not a major procedure. You also would want to know, if this is a kidney tumor, if it has spread.

I have never had a cat react to metronidazole, but this is only my experience. The one time that I did allow Convenia, the side effects seemed to peak at the end of the first week after administration and the cat was returned to the hospital for additional treatment and he did fortunately recover.

This can all be sadly coincidental, though. Definitely get a internist or experienced vet to help you with this.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you know anything to try to help combat the side effects of this shot let me know.
I don't. I think unless the reaction is severe, you kind of have to wait it out. If severe, you would have to check with the vet about any kind of treatment.
Just curious with the Convenia shot he got it on a Thursday and it wasn't till Sunday right after I gave the Metronidazole that he went down hill. This is why I associated it with Metronidazole. Just curious would it take that long to effect like that?
You saw fionasmom fionasmom 's response about the timing of a reaction to Covenia.