Most irresistible broth-based treat

Daz90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm trying to find something that will hide the taste/smell of medication well for a very discerning cat. She's been prescribed Zentonil, and wouldn't eat it when it was well-hidden inside a piece of chicken (that she was REALLY excited to eat until she realized there was a pill in it...). So, I'm crushing it up to try to get her to take it.

I understand the most irresistible treat will vary by cat, so I'm more just looking for some suggestions on what your cats have found especially tasty. Here's what I've tried so far:

Tuna juice
Churu
Fancy feast
Cream cheese (lactose free)

I was going to try baby food, but where I am there is none that is just meat + gravy (they're either fruit purees or the meat + gravy includes onion or garlic). I'm considering tiki cat broth next.

Thanks!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Can the pill be compounded liquid so it would be flavored? This will be a lot of work but if you can give her a pill,crush and put in gel capsuls. Also try mixing in fortiflora and freeze dried chicken. Good luck! Baby food is a good idea but no onion or garlic

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Other lickable treats, in 'tubes' like Churu, to try are: Vitakraft, Delectable Squeeze Ups, Tiki Cat Stix, Catit, Fussie Cat, Temptations Puree, and Applaws. Look for food toppers like gravies, stews, bisques, and broths as well. Cottage cheese and sour cream might something else to try. Maybe even sardines.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Daz90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can the pill be compounded liquid so it would be flavored? This will be a lot of work but if you can give her a pill,crush and put in gel capsuls. Also try mixing in fortiflora and freeze dried chicken. Good luck! Baby food is a good idea but no onion or garlic
She originally was to take Denosyl, but she is impossible to give a pill too with one person unless that person is a professional. I asked my vet about options, including compounding, and he gave me this chewable Zentonil. I suppose I can ask more directly if compounding is an option.

I actually bought some freeze dried chicken purebites and she didn't touch them, unfortunately. She also won't even touch her favourite food if there's probiotics in it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet sells fortiflora packets separately. It has a flavor few cats can resist. Gel capsuls dissolve fast. Can you use a pill popper?