More Lucy! Teeth? Please help!

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This whole thing has been like a puzzle!!! Lucy's scratch-like marks between her ear and eye are a result of the thyroid med. The intense itching was nearly unbearable from what I understand and we were told to stop the med immediately. We decided to try the prescription diet next, but we were told to give her a a bit to heal the ear area. He gave us a can of the YD to try once she is clear. We are still waiting for it to completely exit her system and heal. In the meantime...something new.

Lu's treatment included an antibiotic to clear up a tooth infection. She started to eat a little dry food, but not a whole lot. She would eat Sheba..but not all of it and we chalked it all up to still not feeling well because of the thyroid med impact. Yesterday, we noticed that she really wasn't eating a lot at all (even the canned) but would scarf the treats down. She is using the litter box, but the past couple of days, she hadn't come out of the bedroom much. I would say she was hiding in the closet and under the bed, but those sleeping places were not unusual for her...she just tends to sleep where she just ends up....totally a Lu thing. Tonight, she licked a bit of Sheba...that was all. Then my husband decided to try and offer her one of those gravy pouch things you can buy. She ate nearly the ENTIRE thing. He then put a ton of treats down. She ate every single one. I watched her eat these things. They are the Temptations brand. They are not rock hard, but not too soft. Lucy seemed to eat these oddly. It was like she did not want to chew these things AT ALL. You could tell she was struggling to move each treat around in her mouth in order to eat it. With these things, you can hear a cat crunch a bit when eating them. Lucy did not make the crunch, but she managed to eat every single one. We are talking 30-40! Not a normal dose, but we were trying to feel this out. This cat was hungry!!! So, while the infection was cleared (she saw the vet on Monday), what we did not not realize was that she must still have pain! She is not a happy girl. She just kind of lays in the bed...doesn't come out of it very often. Before realizing tonight she clearly has some eating issues still, I was in a panic because she just does NOT look like she is well at all. She looked better Monday than she does now (that's when she saw the vet). When I get into bed, she comes up on me and will not leave me all night (that I'm aware of and until she gets up in the morning for treat time with my husband). Last night, I was in my side and she was on my shoulder sound asleep. She must've been dreaming because I could feel those muscle twitches cats sometimes have when they sleep. All I could think about was what an honor to be trusted so much by a cat that they just conk out into dreamland on their human. ❤.

So, anyway. Here we are on a holiday weekend. I have the vet's personal cell phone but I really don't want to call him ON Thanksgiving but at the same time, I do not want Lu to be in so much pain (and the vet did show me a tooth that wasn't healthy...but it was not really infected, either as she is still on the z-pack antibiotic every three 3 days).
Is there anything I can do AT ALL to help control this pain she has? That has to be what this is with the way she ate those treats. In hindsight, I did notice she would have some treat crumbs fall out of her mouth (maybe a few months ago) while eating them....could she have been struggling then and I didn't realize it? Honestly, at the rate she is going right at this moment, I wouldn't give her to Christmas....but if it's a pain thing, I need to figure out how to control it until I can get into the vet again!
This is just as awful as when your kid is sick...if not more-so because you can't explain this to a cat :(.

Attachments

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would call on Thanksgiving. As medical personnel, I promise you I would not get angry and would be fine with a call. In fact, I am working Thanksgiving. It's just another day to me. Sure, I would like to have a nice dinner, but this is what I signed up for. In fact, I often schedule my holidays around my workdays. I won't change Thanksgiving to a weekday because I can't afford the dinner this year anyway, but I would without hesitation. If your vet isn't happy, he'll get over it. And he probably won't say it to you, especially if he was kind enough to give you his personal number. It certainly sounds like he cares. Call the vet, get some pain meds for the interim and take her in if needed when the holidays are over. I promise you, two minutes on the phone and a short call to the pharmacy won't hurt him. Please let us know how she does. :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think I will send a msg to him today. She never left my side last night. This morning, though, my husband decided to try and give her tuna (from the can). She tried to eat it, but the only way she would was to smash it up into fine bits..so, I think it confirms her mouth. But, my husband sat there and smashed it all up into tiny find bits (think pate style, but maybe even finer). She ate A LOT. A LOT. I know it isn't good for her, but at this point, this cat has to eat and if she is willing to eat, then I need to let her and help her for now. I just went into the bedroom to check on her and she is sound asleep curled up in a cat-ball with her head tucked under her<3 She hasn't slept like that in a while due to the facial pain from the thyroid med and her mouth! It's just horrible because they cannot just say, "Hey..my teeth still hurt!" It's trial and error and it's agonizing. Thanks for being there for me (and for Lu!) <3

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The whole world is now much more 24/7 and the idea of a sacrosanct holiday is really disappearing, so good that you messaged the vet. I have the cell number of the practice owner of the hospital where I take my cats and would not hesitate to use it if I needed to.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The big thing with the thyroid food is in order for it to do anything the cat must eat only that food. No treats, no other food, no table scraps, nothing.

That being said, eatting something is better than not eatting at all. The only other option might be iodine treatment but it is expensive.

I don't feed treats anyways, Indy actualy couldn't care less about temptations and I think part of that is she associates them with needles/the vet. My vet uses them to destract her while giving her a needle.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We hadn't started the other food yet...we were going to try the can the following day, but we noticed some things about all of this so we waited. It was just one can we have but the vet wanted us to try that first before sending a script for it and making the big investment. So, totally understand that no people food, treats, etc. We will also have to stop the free-feeding...we have two others and we will have to adjust to feeding at actual "meal times". I really, really hope Lu can pull through this. There are some times she doesn't look so great, but other times I can't believe she is as old as she is the way she acts. My whole heart is with this cat ❤.

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet was out of town but told me that when he gets back, he could give her Onsior (did I spell that correctly?) and then we would discuss if extractions would be an option versus treating the pain. I know there is both a generic and brand name, but I can't seem to find a whole lot of info on it. Is this something taken daily? She got up today and went to lay in the sun shining through the windows :) That made me happy!!!! I know she may just be suffering from old-age, as well, but I will take any "life" she is showing me...