more issues with the cat-hating roommate

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good for you. It sounds like your cat hating room mate had a lot of isssue's, and not just the cat. It sounds like she was jealous of just about any and everything that took your attention away from her.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Does sound like she's got a lot of issues.
Glad to hear you moved out!

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very happy that you moved out. Otherwise bloodshed will come for all. First she will hurt the cat. Then she will try to alienate you from your friends "oh it is just a cat. She is so totally overreacting" Before long she could try to kill you.

Been there. Would trade 20 years of my life for that not being happened.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! I'm glad that you moved away from the not so normal roommate. It takes a toll on you and your animals when someone hates your animals or friends. I hope you find a new place with a great roommate, good luck on your search!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on moving! I am sure that you are right about Miko sensing the tension and animosity from the roommate - what a nut! You and Miko will both be better off. And I'm sending prayers and vibes that your mom's allergies don't kick up.

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to leave a note to tell you congrats on losing-the cat hating roomie. I read your story and kinda had a similar problem with a roommate. Luna peed on her dirty clothes in her laundry basket once and while i apologized and offered to replace anything if it was ruined, it didn't help. over the next few months (although unknown to me) she was hitting/kicking Luna. And so Luna's urinating problem got worse (and here I was thinking she had a blatter infection or some other serious physical health problem.) After the bad roomie moved out, my other roommate told me that she had confessed to him that she had been hitting my cat. He didn't want to tell me sooner because he didn't want to cause tension. (go figure)

But after spending many many unnecessary dollars on different litters, littleboxes, litter supplies and cleaning supplies, i found that Luna stopped going outside the box suddenly and hasn't done it since. it's a miracle. My poor kitty seems to be mostly un-traumatized from the experience, except for the fact that whenever anybody raises a foot near her (to step over her or whatnot) she bolts.

the moral of this story is: make sure your roommates understand what it means to live with a cat and watch your cat's behavior closely if you change roommates. (though, i DO like to think the best of everyone i meet
)

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I had either one of your roomates, one opening windows hoping my cat would jump, or the one kicking and hitting my cat I would be more than inclined to say lets take this outside. Maybe its a bit of the hillbilly nature that seems to be born into Kentuckians.
But neither one of them would have been able to see through atleast one of their eyes for about a week and they would of had a few missing teeth. I was raised by my daddy so I never learned to slap, I learned to punch.
And I don't normally fight and carry on like a yard ape but mess with someone I love or my cat or my dog and see the yard ape come out.

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
as far as your moms allergies, that can be helped as well!

give miko a bath once a week. Wet her down and soap her up really well, be sure to get her butt aread really good, (that is where the glads that secrete the protiene we are allergic to are located)

My bf I live with is a HUGE cat fan and confessed, before we moved in together, that he MUST have at least one cat within reach at all time. PROBLEM IS, I am HIGHLY allergic.

A vet friend of mine said, exactly what I just told you. IF and WHEN I do this, I have NO problems! The cats havent had a bath in about 2 months now though, so I am having issues as we speak. lol

People say that bathing a cat too much dries out their skin. I have not had this issue. But I be sure to use a CAT shampoo that has conditioners. I get it at Petsmart, its blue and has a persian on the front. Smells like baby powder.

I hope that helps! The first few baths will be HORRIBLE, but they get used to it. Our kitten Roxie HATES it, but she is new to the whole thing. Polly who is a year and a half, just sits there. lol

I have found they do better when I fill up the tub half way so the water comes up to their midline. lol I think they just "give in" at that point.

Good luck!

sims2fan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by miao_kitty

Just wanted to leave a note to tell you congrats on losing-the cat hating roomie. I read your story and kinda had a similar problem with a roommate. Luna peed on her dirty clothes in her laundry basket once and while i apologized and offered to replace anything if it was ruined, it didn't help. over the next few months (although unknown to me) she was hitting/kicking Luna. And so Luna's urinating problem got worse (and here I was thinking she had a blatter infection or some other serious physical health problem.) After the bad roomie moved out, my other roommate told me that she had confessed to him that she had been hitting my cat. He didn't want to tell me sooner because he didn't want to cause tension. (go figure)

But after spending many many unnecessary dollars on different litters, littleboxes, litter supplies and cleaning supplies, i found that Luna stopped going outside the box suddenly and hasn't done it since. it's a miracle. My poor kitty seems to be mostly un-traumatized from the experience, except for the fact that whenever anybody raises a foot near her (to step over her or whatnot) she bolts.

the moral of this story is: make sure your roommates understand what it means to live with a cat and watch your cat's behavior closely if you change roommates. (though, i DO like to think the best of everyone i meet
)
Oh my God thats a horrific story! Poor Luna I really hope she is ok. Is there any way you can report this psycho ****
? Some one who hurts a defenseless animal would probably do the same to a child. You other roomate is also somewhat resposible too "not wanting to cause tension" is just not good enough!

valkerie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by abnihon

She used to pick fights with me about the cat going in her closet and cat hair.
The latest is that she insists on keeping the living room window open all the time to cool down the apt. The window pulls out like a door, and opens about 8 inches. Just wide enough for a cat. There's no screens or bars and we live on the 21st floor. So obviously I'm very concerned about my cat's safety.
We're going to look into installing a screen, but it may not be possible with the type of large window we have.

I'm right to be concerned, right?

And my roommate is being totally stubborn and won't compromise. She won't turn the A/C on instead, because it's too expensive. She won't only open the window for a few hours, with the cat in my room. She wants it open all the time - when she's out and at night. And my cat cannot stay in my room all night - she meows like crazy if the door is shut and none of us can sleep. And it's not always possible to put her in there while we're out because she'll run and hide to avoid being shut up in my room.

Grrrr. Any suggestions?

I'm seriously considering moving out and finding a roommate who has her own cat. So she'll be more considerate of issues like this.
your room mate must have a mouse in a be for life your best bet is to move and leave the mouse behind

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you moved out. I hope that this works out for you & your mom.... I was worried reading this thread, what if she's hurting Miko when no ones around?! Not all people see pets at their "babies" the way most of us do, but most pet owners would at least want to protect their animal from danger. And what if you had a crawling baby visiting your apt??? But the whole "I'm more imp than your cat" thing just proves that she had mental problems....or insecurities, or something. I'm glad that Miko is safe....