Moonshine anyone?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, our friends came over for dinner last night before we all went out, and they brought moonshine that his brother made. I was half afraid to try it (I'm a beer girl and rarely drink the hard stuff except for the occasional tequila shot) but I tried it and O. M. G!!!! It was apple flavored and SOOOO good! But talk about potent! Let me put it this way, I rarely dance anymore and I spent half the night last night on the dance floor. I even got DH to dance so he was feeling it too! 

Has anyone else ever had moonshine?

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't drink, but I've seen it around from time to time (mostly in Mason jars).  There can be health risks associated it, but I really don't know if it comes from a "bad batch" or something else.  I believe it's comparable to something like (forgive me if I get this name wrong) Everclear as far as potency.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago one of my brothers bought another brother a quart Mason jar of moonshine for Christmas.  I seem to remember just the smell was horrific  The recipient ended up passed out in a snowdrift with just his feet sticking out.  If someone hadn't seen those feet, odds are he would have frozen to death.  And this is a guy who is used to drinking.  I'd say a little moonshine goes a long way.

Sounds as if you and your hubby enjoyed yourself.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Years ago my in-laws gave my parents a bottle of cherry moonshine. Man, did that stuff have a kick! It was so strong it took them about ten years to get rid of it by offering a taste to unsuspecting guests.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The most likely problem with moonshine is lead poisoning, if the wrong kind of solder is used on the piping.  In addition, you don't use the first little bit; I hear it's actually wood alcohol.

Your descriptions sound like "scumble," mentioned often in the Terry Pratchett "Discworld" series.  "It's made from apples...mostly."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most likely problem with moonshine is lead poisoning, if the wrong kind of solder is used on the piping.  In addition, you don't use the first little bit; I hear it's actually wood alcohol.

Your descriptions sound like "scumble," mentioned often in the Terry Pratchett "Discworld" series.  "It's made from apples...mostly."
Well, I don't know what exactly this was called, but it tasted like apple pie. You couldn't even tell there was alcohol in it...until it kicked in. And yes, it came in a mason jar. I didn't realize there was any problems with moonshine (except for liver damage 
 ) but we only had a little bit. I know his brother has been making homemade wine for years (the dandelion wine is awesome!) so I trust him to know what he is doing.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Just wondering--are you the member who posted about hangover cures for your husband?  Hmm...wonder why!

Just think--though it may be illegal for your friend to sell it to drink, NASA may be very interested--as a sort of ethanol for rockets!

Well, I don't know what exactly this was called, but it tasted like apple pie. You couldn't even tell there was alcohol in it...until it kicked in. And yes, it came in a mason jar. I didn't realize there was any problems with moonshine (except for liver damage 
 ) but we only had a little bit. I know his brother has been making homemade wine for years (the dandelion wine is awesome!) so I trust him to know what he is doing.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering--are you the member who posted about hangover cures for your husband?  Hmm...wonder why!

Just think--though it may be illegal for your friend to sell it to drink, NASA may be very interested--as a sort of ethanol for rockets!
Nope, that wasn't me...think that was Kailie's question of the day, but I did chime in! Yeah, we were both hurting a bit this morning (more him than me 
 guess I can hold my liquer better, or I just didn't drink as much lol). 

Hmmm....getting a government contract to make rocket fuel in our back yard....I can do that! How much do you think they would pay???

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My MIL would bring us moonshine from Tennisee...it went down smooth but when it hit bottom ........whooo...eeee!

I just can't do that anymore and that doesn.t bother me in the least. I have to say I've never tasted moonshine that tasted like any kind of fruit that I could recognize.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's an apple-based moonshine recipe:

http://goodoleways.com/daves-apple-pie-moonshine-recipe/dogs-secret-recipe-file/

Good Lord: 190 proof booze?!??!  I hear it also makes great paint stripper in a pinch (just kidding).  And it mentions the Everclear someone else mentioned. Make and drink at your own risk! LOL
I can't open the link for some reason. I would be interested to see how to make moonshine. Wow, really? 190 proof? No wonder DH puked twice last night. 
 I really shouldn't laugh but, come on, it's funny now (it wasn't last night). I gotta keep reminding him he's 41 now and not 24.

As for the Everclear, my college roommate used to mix that with MadDog. Yeah, she was crazy.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's an apple-based moonshine recipe:

http://goodoleways.com/daves-apple-pie-moonshine-recipe/dogs-secret-recipe-file/

Good Lord: 190 proof booze?!??!  I hear it also makes great paint stripper in a pinch (just kidding).  And it mentions the Everclear someone else mentioned. Make and drink at your own risk! LOL
Anything 190 proof that had any flavor would have to have some very pure flavoring added.  I thought you couldn't get above about 180 proof without some very serious chemical engineering.

Ah, I see in reading the recipe you actually add commercial 190, but it's only 20% of the mix, so your final mix is somewher south of 40 proof, or about the same alcohol level as port wine.  Not particularly strong, in other words.  In fact, just barely strong enough to be considered a liquor, which I believe is 17%, or 34 proof.

Last edited:

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had some when I was about 15 or 16, my friend's grandpa had it "hidden" in the fridge and we were bad :lol3: Hated it though!

Had a shot of some on New Years Eve that smelled good and actually tasted pretty good too. I'm sure if I had more than one shot of it I would have had to be carried out though!

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never had it but at one time it was very common in this area, so common, in fact, that every once in a while, some farmer cultivates up old still coils that have worked their way up closer to the surface. Old stills were buried all over the place here after prohibition ended as there was no more sale for the product..