montmorillonite clay in nature's variety instinct chicken formula canned cat food.

wildog47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I completely agree with you on this one. Carrageenan is a definite NO considering it has been banned for human consumption in a lot of places and I wont eat it myself so I definitely will not feed foods containing that product at all.  Also, the Gums are all very mixed evidence and I wouldn't chance it. However, iv'e done lots of research and mortomorillonite clay is a type of living clay unlike the clay in kitty litter. It is used in several HUMAN health products without issue. I have found merely any bad reviews on this products from humans who use it on themselves. And therefore I feel really comfortable feeding it to my cat. Here is the biggest issue with wellness and alot of the "great" brands people feed. Ingredients aside you know natures variety is not feeding fillers becase their canned foods are 95% meat, liver and bone. So the very small 5% amount of peas, cranberries, carrots is constituting barely any of the cats diet. Other brands do not disclose just how much of the food is meat based. and even is the first ingredient is meat they could only be using 50% meat and 25% potatoes listed down the line. I have been feeding stella and chewy's raw ( great raw food with no questionable ingredients in my opinion) along with natures variety canned. Also, higher caloric content does not contribute to health issues, rather it can mean the food is much more wholesome. corn has less metabolizable energy for cats than rabbit or beef. In the end its to each his choice but the montmorillonite clay is not a problem that I see and may HUMANs eat it themselves. It is also definitely not the same as the clay in litter! Clay in litter is VERY dangerous if ingested (my cat as a kitten would lick try eating the litter so we had to switch to a none clay type litter for a while)

TurtleGirl65

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i recently have been researching nature's variety instinct canned cat food as an add-on to what i'm feeding my kitties now (innova, wellness). however, upon reading the ingredients i noticed the company uses montmorillonite clay as an "anti-caking" ingredient. i'm wondering how safe this is. excuse my ignorance, but i've never heard of clay being used in canned pet food. i've read the use of this clay has been approved by the usda. i'm wondering about other people's experiences with this canned food. thank you for reading...

jlc20m
I see many commenting that it is bad but my search I found: "
Montmorillonite Clay in Cat Food
If you have a cat, you must have heard or are probably going to hear about montmorillonite. Many practitioners of veterinary medicine are prescribing this clay to pet owners due to the rise in chronic health problems among cats. Veterinarians believe that the root causes of these problems are environmental and man-made poisons. These problems can lead to allergies, kidney, diabetes and urinary disorders in cats. When ingested, the clay naturally clings to internal toxins and flushes them from the cat’s system through the colon." Montmorillonite Clay Health Benefits, Uses in Pet Food, Structure & Properties, Formular-Living Clay

Aftonb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't mean to derail the thread but can someone recommend a non scented non clay litter to me? I did not realize the issue with clay litter until reading this thread. :-(

MadonnaB66

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i recently have been researching nature's variety instinct canned cat food as an add-on to what i'm feeding my kitties now (innova, wellness). however, upon reading the ingredients i noticed the company uses montmorillonite clay as an "anti-caking" ingredient. i'm wondering how safe this is. excuse my ignorance, but i've never heard of clay being used in canned pet food. i've read the use of this clay has been approved by the usda. i'm wondering about other people's experiences with this canned food. thank you for reading...

jlc20m
Montmorillonite Clay is a natural clay that can be consumed by animals and humans. I cannot speak to canned as my cats vomit it up no matter how "healthy". I did a lot of research for several years before switching my animals to a raw diet. The clay keeps their poop firm and not as smelly. Without the clay, it is looser and definitely smellier. My cats are 13yrs and 15yrs old and have been on a raw diet since 2011. Their health is amazing now as well as their energy levels. When they were on kibble, they were sickly and lethargic with hot spots, bald spots and scaly skin.

james kelly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use luxolite by Vitality Science which is purified Sodium bentonite clay to treat my cats ibd and colitis problem.It has helped.It helps firm up her stools and reduces inflammation...i didnt find it had any ill effects...at least none myself or vet was aware of..clay has been used for many years ...to treat health issues such as my cat has...