Monoprotein foods

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I have my two cats, I've been feeding them monoprotein wet food. I picked a premium Italian brand and four different varieties to give them weekly first, monthly now. Two of them are fished based and two are meat based.
This way I tried to have the cats used to different tastes so that if one of them got intolerant to one protein, I can quickly spot which is the issue.

I have recently read that regularly feeding a cat monoprotein, even for life, though with different varieties of protein, isn't the best thing to do, and that this kind of food should be only used when a cat has real problems with other foods.

Should I give them "multi-protein" wet food instead of what I'm giving them now?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't say I have ever heard or read that. And, IMO, it seems a bit contradictory - in that you are still feeding (at least two) different proteins, just not mixed together. So, exactly what was given as the logic behind this belief?

It may be true that mono-protein foods are given to cats with potential digestive/allergy issues, but I can't see how it could be bad to do so with cats who do not have these possible issues.

Maybe someone else will know something about this that I don't!!

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have heard theories that the long-term use of hydrolyzed protein could potentially lead to issues with future allergies or sensitivities, but I've never heard of mono-protein foods doing this as long as you are feeding multiple different flavors. That is how a cat would eat its prey in the wild anyways.

Maybe they are worried the foods aren't as healthy? I also know there are some concerns about the long-term feeding of fish-based foods?

I wouldn't be worried about it as long as the foods are listed as complete and balanced.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't say I have ever heard or read that. And, IMO, it seems a bit contradictory - in that you are still feeding (at least two) different proteins, just not mixed together. So, exactly what was given as the logic behind this belief?

It may be true that mono-protein foods are given to cats with potential digestive/allergy issues, but I can't see how it could be bad to do so with cats who do not have these possible issues.

Maybe someone else will know something about this that I don't!!
Actually I started with four different flavors that have become only two when both cats decided they didn't like two falvors anymore.
So, right now one month is chicken and one month is white fish.

I don't know why this article I read said something like that, and I agree with you that is a little contradictory in that this food shouldn't be no harm to healthy cat given that it could be prescribed to cats with digestive issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard theories that the long-term use of hydrolyzed protein could potentially lead to issues with future allergies or sensitivities, but I've never heard of mono-protein foods doing this as long as you are feeding multiple different flavors. That is how a cat would eat its prey in the wild anyways.

Maybe they are worried the foods aren't as healthy? I also know there are some concerns about the long-term feeding of fish-based foods?

I wouldn't be worried about it as long as the foods are listed as complete and balanced.
I agree with you.
The article didn't mention any particular brand, just wrote that monoprotein isn't a proper long-life diet for a cat.
The foods I buy is a premium brand and is complete and balanced.