Money & Animals- What would you pay??

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

I just spent $1200 on a bengal kitten. Do you think there's something wrong with my heart? I know you'll say no, but thats what you (and others) seem to be implying when you say this. You, and many others here, obviously feel its a huge waste of money to do 'such a thing' as what I have done. This really makes me sad.

My 'mouse relocation program' that I mentioned earlier is something that a lot of people here would also find to be a waste (at best). My husband and I find mice in our birdfeed all the time. Instead of letting the cat have at them (which we would NEVER do anyway), we catch them in a plastic container and drive them over to a forest preserve to drop them off. My mom (and just about everyone else) thinks we're crazy! We have 'raised' a baby opossum in our back yard and taken care of a colony of quaker conures that live in an evergreen nearby... not to mention the stray cats and dogs and donations to rescues and shelters... I've done a lot to help animals in general and I very strongly believe that this is one of the few situations where I can have the best of both worlds. It kind of hurts my feelings that people are implying that I somehow care less about animal welfare because I spent what some consider a lot of money on one animal....
I am certainly not saying anything is wrong with your heart. I'm stating how I personally feel and my feelings only. You should not have any bad feelings about any decision you make in life, whether it be buying a purebred animal or anything you decide to do in life. Someone else's feelings should not have an influence on you if you are happy doing what your doing and should not make you feel sad, if it's truly what you want to do.

I'm sorry if I came across a little harsh. I just have strong feelings on this subject, and they are just that... my feelings and how I feel.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

Any chance you can come over? I think there are a few here that need to be... uhh... relocated
Only problem is I only relocate them to your front yard!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that some people, and I am not referring to anyone in particular, might be taking some comments a little too personally.

I stated earlier that I probably would not buy from a breeder (the reason being that at this point I cannot afford it), but in no way do I think negatively on anyone who has or wants to.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lisalee

I am certainly not saying anything is wrong with your heart. I'm stating how I personally feel and my feelings only. You should not have any bad feelings about any decision you make in life, whether it be buying a purebred animal or anything you decide to do in life. Someone else's feelings should not have an influence on you if you are happy doing what your doing and should not make you feel sad, if it's truly what you want to do.

I'm sorry if I came across a little harsh. I just have strong feelings on this subject, and they are just that... my feelings and how I feel.
I don't feel bad about the choices that I've made, I just feel bad because it seems like people are looking down their noses at me for it. (and here I thought it was always the other way around... go figure).

And I know you didn't intentionally send out bad vibes, but thats how it comes across. Just like I may be coming across as someone who feels guilty for buying a pedigreed cat. Our perceptions here are heavily influenced by our own experiences and values. I have no guilt whatsoever about adopting Ares. I couldn't be happier... Actually, I'll probably be a little happier when I can safely trap that stray that I mentioned earlier.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Don't feel too bad, my family thinks I'm crazy because I do spider rescue! LOL.
LOL! Thats my husbands job. I will say, though, that I am a merciless killer when it comes to centipedes. (eeewe! I get the heebie jeebies just thinkin' about those things!)

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tiffanyjbt

I don't feel bad about the choices that I've made, I just feel bad because it seems like people are looking down their noses at me for it. (and here I thought it was always the other way around... go figure).

And I know you didn't intentionally send out bad vibes, but thats how it comes across. Just like I may be coming across as someone who feels guilty for buying a pedigreed cat. Our perceptions here are heavily influenced by our own experiences and values. I have no guilt whatsoever about adopting Ares. I couldn't be happier... Actually, I'll probably be a little happier when I can safely trap that stray that I mentioned earlier.
How do you think some of us breeders feel? Knowing what some people feel about breeders in general I am not going to feel bad for breeding, no matter how many people think of it as a bad word. People acting like it's a dirty thing to buy from a breeder "There are way too many animals in shelters and out on the streets for me to justify doing such a thing. " To do such a thing? I must be the lowest scum of the earth to most of you, HUH?
I have been doing rescue work and working/voluteering at shelters since I was 14 I am 28, that's half of my life for those of you as bad at math as you are at having concideration and respect for people that don't do things they way you do. I have seen the strays suffering in the streets, beaten, neglected, starving, kittens put to sleep, the happiness of a of a new adopter only to greive for their loss so soon due to health problems, diese, bad genetics from inbreeding and puppy mills. I am just so happy to be on the other side of it. People emailing every day for reports of their new family member, waiting anxiously for the litter to be born so they can finally met and take home their new baby. Up-dates, pictures, and words of praise from the new family that wonders how they lived so long without their new baby, knowing I have just made a family so happy, and with a healthy, unscared kitten they know is garanteed to be healthy, or replaced. I don't think that these people should be made to feel bad because of "doing such a thing"

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know... I usually try to stay out of stuff like this but I have never seen people get so upset because people have said that they would rather adopt than get a pet from a breeder. What is so wrong with that? I didn't see one person say anything bad about breeders....just that they would rather save a life than pay $$$ to a breeder for an animal that the breeder will make sure gets a home. The shelter animals are in cages and don't get as much love. Some will be put to sleep and never get a chance. Breeders babies get love and they will be safe with the breeder until the breeder finds a home for them. I would much rather take an animal out of a shelter and give it a 2nd chance, a chance at life. Breeder babies (from a good breeder) are loved and will have a good place to live...out of a cage until they get a home. I'm not saying that the good, responsible breeders are bad...just that I would much rather save a life or give an animal a 2nd chance to have a good life.

And yes breeders babies deserve a good home too. All animals do. But the breeder will make sure they get one and won't put it to sleep if they don't find one and the animal won't be waiting in a cage for someone to love it.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No one is upset about people choosing to adopt from a shelter as opposed to adopting from a breeder. What some people here are concerned about is the negative image that is being unfairly placed on breeders and people who work with them to care for an animal. Its very divisive.