Monday's Question of the Day - September 26, 2016

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
For some reason this time of year I start wanting desserts with walnuts or pecans.  I have a stained thumbnail right now from picking at pecans.  We discovered last week we have a pecan tree on our property!  Unfortunately, the squirrels had looted almost everything this year.  I'll be watching closely and trying to beat those little boogers next year starting about mid-September!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
After most of my life nut-less (I never liked nuts, other than peanuts and almonds), I have discovered pecans. I really do like pecans. And I dearly love macadamia nuts, too. I don't make a lot of sticky buns in the heat of the summer, but now that the weather is cooling down, I'll be making sticky buns for Rick, so maybe that can be considered kind of a fall dessert. With toasted pecans. (But there's not enough money in this universe to pay me to eat a black walnut. In anything.)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 i used to bake pretty much all year round, but now i bake in the cool/cold weather months only. so lately, as the weather has been starting to cool down, i've been thinking more about baked goods. my first thought was oatmeal peanut butter cookies -- i absolutely adore these! and then i thought of making an Upside Down Pumpkin Dessert -- you know, the kind where you make the pumpkin pie filling and layer that on the bottom of the baking pan, then add the (dry) yellow cake mix over top, followed by chopped pecans (though i always use walnuts), and then drizzle melted butter over the top, and bake it.

my favorite fall dessert? i'd have to say stewed apples or an apple crisp -- as long as the crumbly topping doesn't overwhelm the apples flavor. in fact, most times i just halve the crumbly topping part of an apple crisp recipe. if there's too much crumbly topping, i sometimes feel as though my teeth are rotting 'on the spot' when eating an apple crisp.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise

After most of my life nut-less (I never liked nuts, other than peanuts and almonds), I have discovered pecans. I really do like pecans. And I dearly love macadamia nuts, too. I don't make a lot of sticky buns in the heat of the summer, but now that the weather is cooling down, I'll be making sticky buns for Rick, so maybe that can be considered kind of a fall dessert. With toasted pecans. (But there's not enough money in this universe to pay me to eat a black walnut. In anything.)
I can't stand black walnuts either- to me they taste like bitter dirt, but I like the English walnuts in things with bananas.  Now I have my mind on banana nut bread....gonna be hungry for it the rest of the day now!