Monday's Question of the Day - September 26, 2016

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It finally feels a little like fall here!  
And it has me in the mood to bake!

What is your favorite fall dessert?

I love a good apple crisp!  We haven't been apple picking yet. I usually wait for that to do some baking; but I really could go for some apple crisp!  Apple cake is good too.  And so is the pumpkin chocolate chip cake my Mom and I make.  But it's really apple crisp thats on my mind.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with you, this weather makes me
  too. LOL  I love the cool crisp air.  And the smell of the sidewalks in NYC become undetectable. LOL

Also with you on the fresh apple crisp.  Any type of cobbler.  Anything baked with pumpkin, zucchini bread,  or my specialty orange-chocolate chip loaf mmmm, it's really to die for.

But I have bananas browning this week to make banana bread this weekend.  My hubby's fave.  Either plain, with crunch on top or  with cream cheese frosting...  not picky...

Now I'm hungry. LOL

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Irish Apple Cake!  I always wait for the Honeycrisp apples to make them, even though they are so expensive, they stay firm in the cake.  It's the kind where the batter is so thick you have to press the blobs of it into the bundt pan with your hands.  It's like dough instead of batter.

Of course, I'm not going to pass up pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, or apple pie either.

I need a good apple crisp recipe...would you share yours somewhere???

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Irish Apple Cake!  I always wait for the Honeycrisp apples to make them, even though they are so expensive, they stay firm in the cake.  It's the kind where the batter is so thick you have to press the blobs of it into the bundt pan with your hands.  It's like dough instead of batter.

Of course, I'm not going to pass up pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, or apple pie either.

I need a good apple crisp recipe...would you share yours somewhere???
I have an apple crisp my aunt used to make, I'll look for it and share it.  Now I feel like baking. LOL

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
C'mon, c'mon! You all need to go into the Recipe Exchange! There are all kinds of apple recipes in there, from cakes to cookies to everything and anything. Pumpkin recipes. If you haven't checked it out yet, get thy butt in there!  http://www.thecatsite.com/f/5661/the-recipe-exchange  

I love any kind of apple coffee cake. Or any kind of apple cake. Pumpkin bars. Maple sugar cookies. 

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ginger cookies, soft ones. Most have heavy dough really tough to work with but oh so worth it.

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
@Winchester  oh, thank you so much for that link!!!

@sivyaleah   I make those too, I keep promising my bunch at work I am going to make them some, guess I need to get to doing it!

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anything as long as it does not contain pumpkins or apples. That does not leave much.

Does anybody remember that British show that used to be on PBS named "Two Fat Ladies"? They said whatever you do don't ever give an American a pumpkin. They do the most God awful things with them. I agree. They were mainly talking about pumpkin pie. 

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise

Anything as long as it does not contain pumpkins or apples. That does not leave much.

Does anybody remember that British show that used to be on PBS named "Two Fat Ladies"? They said whatever you do don't ever give an American a pumpkin. They do the most God awful things with them. I agree. They were mainly talking about pumpkin pie. 
I remember that show! They were hilarious.  So sad they are both gone now.  Love that about not giving an American a pumpkin!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know. What are fall desserts? Pumpkin pie? No thanks. Apple pie? Again- no thanks. We don't have fall here and I'm not a big dessert person anyway.

I'd take cookies or good quality ice cream over any cake or pie any day with one exception. I do like frozen key lime pie but NO MERINGUE. I hate that stuff.

If someone were to offer me either

A) Some good warm crusty bread with a bit of good cheese

or

B) A piece of cake or pie

I'd probably knock the cake or pie to the floor getting to the bread.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like a good pumpkin pie. . .most aren't very good :(. And sweet potato pie is better. Tastes almost the same, but with a rich potato flavor instead of the thinner squash flavor. And using butternut squash is better than pumpkin. Maybe I don't really like pumpkin pie, lol! Just sweet potato or butternut squash pie :lol3:.

I like baked apple treats too. Crisps or pies or whatever. But I'm also sort of picky about them too. No skins! Baked apple skins are terrible; bitter and chewy. Not too much crust on a pie or crumbles on a crisp. The dough or crumbles shouldn't taste too flour-y. Apple-spice muffins are nice.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would also say apple crisp.  I have always kind of preferred a crisp to pie, I do also like apple pie but prefer the crisp.  I also like pecan pie and pumpkin pie.  

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really like desserts buuut I would love a piece of my late grammas crumb coffee cake. Even my mom, her daughter can't make it the same. I think gramma took the real recipe to her grave.

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin pie with no sugar (I don't eat added sugar anymore). Honey is a great alternative that tastes great and is better for you.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't know. What are fall desserts? Pumpkin pie? No thanks. Apple pie? Again- no thanks. We don't have fall here and I'm not a big dessert person anyway.

I'd take cookies or good quality ice cream over any cake or pie any day with one exception. I do like frozen key lime pie but NO MERINGUE. I hate that stuff.

If someone were to offer me either

A) Some good warm crusty bread with a bit of good cheese

or

B) A piece of cake or pie

I'd probably knock the cake or pie to the floor getting to the bread.
You have the same taste I have. I hate apples, pumpkin and meringue and I love good crusty bread with cheese.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I don't really classify anything as a Fall dessert. If I had to, maybe Carrot cake or cider donuts?