Monday's Question Of The Day - October 30th, 2017

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's hard to say really. i have a very eclectic taste in music, so i enjoy many different styles of music and pretty much countless artists. i know what i like, and definitely know what i don't like. i just don't listen to the styles of music i don't like and the artists i don't care for. i think that's why no particular artists come to mind, that everyone seems to love but that i don't. :dunno:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm stuck in the '60s and '70s. I can't say I like any of today's "singers." If it weren't for reverb, their voices would be so bad they'd be booed off the stage. Loud doesn't equate to quality, either. Nor does cacophony. Strident clashes of notes hurt my ears and offend my sensibilities. Most country western singers who sing through their noses need their tonsils and adenoid removed.

So, I don't like AC/DC, Metallica, Prince, Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, ZZ Top, Michael Jackson, Lady Gaga, Grateful Dead, or just about any of the contemporary "musicians."

So, who does make me happy? Billy Joel (deft turn of lyrics, too), Jimmy Buffett (great ballads), the old Neil Diamond, Streisand, Mannheim Steamroller, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Jed Marum, Elvis, some Beatles, Ray Stevens, and others of that ilk.

Call me a fuddy-duddy but that's music for me.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely The Beatles. Whenever I tell people I was never a Beatles fan they give me a bewildered look. :headscratch:
Well, I gave you a bewildered thought. Not like the Beatles? What????
They are my favorite. I had the biggest crush on John Lennon. It broke my heart when he died.

Ellen

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
OK, here we go. (Rolling up my sleeves and cracking my knuckles)

I don't like The Beatles, Elton John, Billy Joel, Madonna, Wham, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Queen, Take That, Lady Gaga, Miley Cirus, Taylor Swift, pretty much every boy band that has ever existed, all J-Pop, all K-Pop, all any kind of pop for that matter, Jay-Z, Eminem, Kayne West, Oasis, Blur or Marilyn Manson.

I do like a bit of Nick Cave though.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
OK, here we go. (Rolling up my sleeves and cracking my knuckles)

I don't like The Beatles, Elton John, Billy Joel, Madonna, Wham, Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Queen, Take That, Lady Gaga, Miley Cirus, Taylor Swift, pretty much every boy band that has ever existed, all J-Pop, all K-Pop, all any kind of pop for that matter, Jay-Z, Eminem, Kayne West, Oasis, Blur or Marilyn Manson.

I do like a bit of Nick Cave though.
I don't even know who half of those people are. :flail:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
betsygee betsygee you aint missing much lol.

ok for me Elvis and Rolling Stones. Billy Joel. The Monkeys. Moody Blues. Deep Purple. I don't like oldies much anyways...and I do like pop music..eye rolls can start. LOL.
but I don't care for Jay Z and Bionci or however you spell it..I agree with Janet Jackson having more talent. Her voice is so much better and so much less drama. And let's just leave it at that-he was not normal in the head.
Back in the 1980s my sister kept getting me to listen to Taylor Dane and I didn't like her either.
I don't think todays female singers can sing like Patsy Cline or other legends. I don't listen to the radio much anymore since my speakers only have treble sound that works so I listen to news stations mostly. Music sounds horrible on those speakers.

I also have a wide range of songs I like-some are from mentioned above. Oh and Boys to men-couldn't stand them. most boy bands I don't like. I do like rock so if they sing classic rock or something with a good tempo and good lyrics then fine. Sorry guys I do like Maroon 5 but only a few.

here's an interesting website...5000 greatest songs of all time..ha.
5000 Greatest songs ever list by artist

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Im sorts relieved so many of you agree with me on some of the other artists I don't enjoy. :lol:

The only one I really disagree on is Tony Bennett. ;) My grandparents met in San Francisco during WWII when they were both in the Army-Aircorp. So their song was "I Left My Heart in San Francisco" and now that my Grandpa is gone; its bittersweet to me. I tear up some thinking about Grandpa and how connected they were. I do enjoy that eras music anyway. Gram has dementia and a few years ago my cousins took her to see Tony Bennett. She lit up and sang along they said. :redheartpump:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I gave you a bewildered thought. Not like the Beatles? What????
They are my favorite. I had the biggest crush on John Lennon. It broke my heart when he died.
After reading some of the other replies I'm not alone but I did feel badly when John Lennon passed away. I personally had nothing against the Beatles but their music style was just not my cup of tea. :wink:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with Elvis Presley and the Beatles. I need to throw Sam Smith in there as well.