Monday's Question Of The Day - October 30th, 2017

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry I'm late today. This is my first chance to sit down here and I'm just getting to breakfast. :confused:

What is one musician/band/group that everyone seems to love; but you don't?

I'll be honest; no one sprinkle me with Holy Water over this, but I don't really see the big deal with Michael Jackson. :running: Yes he was talented and I liked a few songs; but crying and passing out at concerts? Nope. I know someone who lost it because they were in the same county when he passed away! (The county they both lived in....) :dunno: I was more sad thinking he left kids behind.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a couple- probably more but will start with this. I'm with you on the whole hysteria thing. It's ridiculous.

The Beatles
Elvis

Don't get it- never will. Overrated to the max IMO :dunno:

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For me it would probably be Mariah Carey. I can never get into her music. Her vocal range is insane and she can obviously sing well....but.....I don't know?....It's like she tries too hard...all the high notes that only cats and dogs can hear etc....

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AC/DC, Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift. I can't narrow it down to one. :lol:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Barbara Streisand and Bob Dylan. I never could get into Barbara's style of singing, and is it just me or is Bob Dylan singing every song out of tune? I really don't know who ever told him he could sing.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few. I agree with Michael Jackson. Never did like his music or style of music. Also, Prince. Same thing. But I could tolerate those two, but not Dylan, James Young or Billy Joel. Joel actually makes me physically ill. I think he hits a note or something that strikes something in my ear and causes the response.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elvis. I don't know, it's just something about his voice that bothers me. For early rock, I'd much rather listen to the Beatles.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too many :lol: here we go....

Get your tomatoes ready!

- Adele. Sorry folks, she is painfully overrated. Her voice, at least nowadays after the smoking/surgery or however, has gown down more so and it is pretty darn terrible if people actually pay attention to it.
- Miley Cyrus. Dreadful singing voice.
- I agree about Michael Jackson...some stuff was catchy, but that's it. Squeeky voice meh, going "Ooo owww heh heh heh" pitch thing meh subpar dancing, meh. Some hip gyrating and sliding. And I know fans would also murder me for this since he can't do no wrong, but I also find him very creepy and unsettling with kids, which no one seems to want to address. I actually find, le shock, Janet Jackson the more talented entertainer too.
- Ed Sheeran. Average voice, very average music.
- Mariah Carey. Just got that one high note ions ago, otherwise her voice wasn't that special, and nowadays it is terrible and she lipsyncs.
- Beyonce. Now, I can respect the fact that she gives a solid stage performance, but her voice is not that special at all. Not a fan of her music.
- Katy Perry. She either sounds awful singing live or she lipsyncs. Only ever sounds good in audio, then her true skill comes out otherwise.
- Alessia Cara. Not a fan of her music, which is one of the many overplayed ones, and her voice is breathy and very laboured sounding. Can't stand it.
- Rihanna. Again, bad music, bad voice. Her looks are also hugely gushed about, and don't see the appeal.
- Demi Levato. She belts out notes that she THINKS she can do, but can't.
- Ellie golding.
- Insert a bunch of many awful male rappers and RnB people too.

Jessie Reyez. SERIOUSLY WHAT DA FUDGE. MY EARDRUMS WANT TO COMMIT SUICIDE. Damn song is played repeatedly.

I don't mind Elvis in context, but I am totally burnt out of him. I don't want to see another impersonator ever again, for example.

I'm going to stop there :tongue: I might get killed! Or at least get asked "Don't you like anything??" (Which I do, honest) Pretty much covers a lot of mainstream stuff, that I don't seem to like.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Twice. People seem to gush over them and I just don't get it.
Also Danny Elfman. All of his songs sound the same to me.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Anything country. I just don't get it. A bunch of hoopla over nothing.
Elvis
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones (Ok, I like some songs, but not many)
The only Michael Jackson album I ever bought was Thriller...listened to it a couple times and that was pretty much it.

I can't say anything about Mariah Carey, Katy Perry, Adele, Taylor Swift, etc. because I simply don't listen to them. I can't say a lot about much of any of the music that's being played today. It all sounds exactly the same to me. I gave up on radio a long, long time ago.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anything country. I just don't get it. A bunch of hoopla over nothing.
Elvis
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones (Ok, I like some songs, but not many)
The only Michael Jackson album I ever bought was Thriller...listened to it a couple times and that was pretty much it.

I can't say anything about Mariah Carey, Katy Perry, Adele, Taylor Swift, etc. because I simply don't listen to them. I can't say a lot about much of any of the music that's being played today. It all sounds exactly the same to me. I gave up on radio a long, long time ago.
For a long time the only radio signal we got was talk radio, for a few hours a day.
I mostly listen to soundtracks and whatever my kids listened to. I mostly watch foreign movies and television(streaming).
I don't actually know much current American music.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are the ones I think are over rated:
James Taylor, Dylan, Billy Joel, Frank Sinatra, Rick Springfield,
Tony Bennett, Vic Damone, Julia Iglesias, Bruce Springsteen, Glen Campbell, John Denver and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Ellen

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Grateful Dead. They did a few good songs, but their lead singer can't sing and Jerry Garcia is a mediocre guitarist.
I am not much of a fan of Bruce Springsteen either.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Grateful Dead. They did a few good songs, but their lead singer can't sing and Jerry Garcia is a mediocre guitarist.
This times a million! :lol: I have several friends who love the GD and still follow what I call 'The Leftovers Band' :D (Dead and Company) but I've never understood the appeal. None of them could carry a tune in a bucket, IMO. :headshake:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely The Beatles. Whenever I tell people I was never a Beatles fan they give me a bewildered look. :headscratch:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Definitely The Beatles. Whenever I tell people I was never a Beatles fan they give me a bewildered look. :headscratch:
Or they act like you just insulted their grandma.

Adding to the list:

Billy Joel
Bruce Springsteen
Beyonce - just another overrated pop star
Rhianna - see above
Britney Spears-She owes her entire career to autotune.
Miley Cyrus - her music is awful and she's just so annoying.
ZZ Top
The Beastie Boys
Dire Straits
Taylor Swift - all her songs are the same and they are all awful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think some of these artists had decent music or a few really enjoyable songs; but then they were just famous because they were famous. I don't listen to much mainstream; so when I hear some newer stuff by ones who've been around a while, the appeal difference is shocking.