Monday's Question of the Day - October 17, 2016

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry guys; I've been trying to get the days question posted before I go to bed so it's up for everyone in earlier time zones!  I'm trying to stay one step ahead of the game with things to do around the house this week and I just busted one of my kids for trying to be sneaky with an outdoor toy inside. No one slowly stands up behind a piece of furniture then hop skips across the kitchen while bent at the waist without a reason! 

Do you decorate your house (inside or out) for different seasons or holidays?

I normally put a fall wreath on the front door and some mums and pumpkins on the steps.  But so far this fall I've got the "dead plant" look since I haven't put away my planters from the summer.  I suppose that's good for Halloween; except we don't celebrate Halloween. 
  I have some cute fall things for inside too.  I love the colors of fall!  But nothing is out yet.  I think some of the things are in the attic and I can't get those without DH's help anyway.  I'm not comfortable on the attic ladder like I was at my Mom's house.  

I do have other front door things for some holidays.  Like Valentine's Day, St Patricks Day and Easter.  And I do the whole house up for Christmas.  But the rest of the year the door is plain and I don't really change anything else out.  

I know of 2 houses nearby that decorate the entire yard for every holiday.  One plays they use all those blow up decorations.  I've never counted; but one time they had to have out at LEAST 15 if not 20.  At once.  I wonder about their electric bill!!  The other place is a little more subtle. They have different colored lights they string in a tree and do things like hang big egg ornaments for Easter.  Some other people around here are getting into decorating their yards with lights and things for Halloween or just Fall.  That seems a bit too much work for me!  

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Does putting up a Christmas tree and hanging stockings count? We have had a wreath on the door the past two Christmases, too, but that's about the extent of any decorating for the year.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure do!  For Halloween, Christmas, St Patrick's day and so forth. Enjoyable 

For seasons in general, I do a little bit of themey things - with the use of plants/flowers, changing tablecloths or centerpieces inside the house, for example. Stock up on themed foods and drinks too.

For Halloween this year, I have carved pumpkins, light up skeletons, dead skeleton bride outside and black kitties, coffins and skulls inside.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since I am back in an apartment and the kids are on their own I don't anymore.  I don't even put up a tree anymore because of the cats.  They are older now so they would probably leave it alone now but I don't bother.  When I did decorate I only did it for Christmas.  When the kids were little we went all out with outside as well as inside.  

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My winter decorating, indoors only, has some little white horses and a little red sleigh with little matchboxes covered in gift wrap piled inside on a bookcase. A tomten (that's a Scandinavian elf) my father made for me, and a Breyer moose, Breyer deer, a fox figurine (of course a fox, it's a tomten, has to have a fox), some rabbits etc on the dining room fireplace mantle. Took a creche-type stable from Michael's that has Mrs Tiggywinkle, a small wheelbarrow, and some lovely porcelain vegetables. So nothing religious but sort of seasonal.

View media item 381846
View media item 381847

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I do decorate for major holidays and the seasons.

I love the fall colors so I go all out for fall. I have autumn wreaths, autumn angels, and some other stuff around here. I also have some Fall colored rag rugs on the floor. I have rust colored drapes, year round on my balcony doors...

I also decorate for Christmas. I stopped having a Tree, several years ago; but I do have decorations all over the apartment. 

I have a different theme for after Christmas. Spring kind of morphs into Summer--liter rugs and wall wreaths and prints...

Have been doing this for years. It makes me feel better, instead of just having the same old stuff 24/7... 

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I live alone I don't decorate for Christmas. I would love to have lights put up outside but I can't do it myself. 

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Decorating for Christmas is about all we do.  I went for many, many years unable to have a Christmas tree, and I found that I missed it horribly.  Even when I had no money to put anything under it, the twinkling lights and ornaments somehow made me feel better during the dark winter days.  I absolutely insist that we have one now, although I'm sure my husband would be very glad to not have to drag everything out of the attic!!  I usually do a tree, a large wreath (giant one!) hangs on the front of the house over the big windows, and I do a wreath on the front door and a fir spray on the back door.  I'm not overly enthusiastic about decorating for the other holidays, but Christmas decorations just pick me up so much.  I guess it's because my daddy was so big on me always having a tree, and I lost him when I was in my early 20's.  It's more about the mood than the decorations I guess.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope. What does not go up does not need to be taken down. 

DH and I used to go all out for Halloween. Now I don't do anything because it's no fun without him. 
 That and with DD away at school, I have no one to control my insane dog when I answer the door. It's too hot out to put her out back in the screen room and she goes ballistic when anyone knocks on the door. At 14 years old, she might give herself a heart attack. I used to put her in her chicken costume and walk her around the neighborhood so the kids could see her and give her pets but she has no interest in that anymore and it's been too hot for the costume in the past few years. 

As far as Christmas is concerned, I always ask DD if she wants me to put a tree up and she always says no. She's 21. She's over it The artificial tree that DH and I would put up is way too big and heavy for me to bring into the house and put up by myself. I think Sophie would knock it down in about 5 minutes anyway. I see her having a bout of the zoomies all over that thing. 
  I have put up a live tabletop tree in the past few years but I always end up killing it. No plant deserves that. 

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to decorate but husband is divorcing me after 30 years so now I do as little as possible in our house..

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I decorate at the drop of a hat.  Not sure why.  A couple of the neighbors think I'm nuts because I have no family close enough to come for any holidays.  However, at Christmas I always have a present under the tree from Santa and from Hekitty, and she has one from Santa and from me (and from her "Aunty Suzanne")  And we have stockings.  And Suzanne and I have hilarious discussions about seeing Hekitty getting out of a cab at various stores when she goes shopping, and her secret part time job, and the numbered bank account...You guys would die laughing, and join right in!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither anymore, because I have no help doing it and no help taking it down. I've got too much else to do to worry about decorating.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no, i don't decorate for any holidays. although, on Christmas morning i'll bring out the cats stockings filled with their gifts -- one of the highlights of my year, along with celebrating the cats birthdays.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I change the tablecloth for the holiday: red hearts for V-Day, green shamrocks for St. Pat's, etc. Spring, summer, and autumn tablecloths. I have a few harvest-style tablecloths and I change them every week. Same for Christmas...I have a ton of nice holiday tablecloths. After Christmas, I use tablecloths with snowflakes. And so on. 

I decorate a bit for Halloween. Several years ago, I made a bunch of witch bottles, so I get the witch bottles out, our black kitty wizard cookie jar and the pumpkins and leaves, all in the kitchen. 

But I just love decorating for Christmas. Veteran's Day weekend, I'll decorate the kitchen for the holidays with all the Winterberry dishes and pieces in the cabinet and on the hutch. Little doodads here and there. I've been known to drag the Tacky White Tree out so that it's decorated for our Thanksgiving dinner....my mother loved to see the TWT in the kitchen; she loved to eat dinner by the light of the tree and the candles on the table. And I love to get up early in the morning, turn the TWT tree on, crank up some music and bake tons of Christmas cookies.

Thanksgiving weekend, we'll put the other Christmas trees up. Our traditional tree in the living room and then the Santa and reindeer tree in our bedroom. We have a stocking for every cat and Jackie, too; they get hung on the stair railing. Rick will decorate some of the trees in the front yard; he used to light the house, but it's getting harder for him to get be going up and down the ladder outside. I try to have something Christmas in each room in the house. We do put something on the front door; sometimes a wreath, sometimes a crafty snow shovel with a snowman. And always different yard flags for the holidays and the seasons....and they always have at least one kitty!

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I definitely do for the Fall holidays and Christmas. I host Thanksgiving, so my house looks like a Fall explosion both inside and out right now. :nod:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I usually do. I have out my little ghost on my porch with a few mini scarecrows in my dying pots for the fall.

Christmas I have some blow-molds to put outside. Not sure if I want to be bothered this year, lol. we'll see. I have tree and some little things to put around. I don't go all out because I don't get much of company. 

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I do pretty much each holiday, but, except for Halloween and Christmas, not  a lot.  I'm big on having a single holiday touch in every room, except DH's bathroom, though. I even put some sort of battery-powered candle in a seasonal holder on the laundry room counter top, The laundry room is in a dark corner of the house, so I enjoy seeing that small light.  With Christmas and Halloween, I have a lot more stuff, but it isn't a lot. I  don't like gaudy displays, except in stores.  I try to keep things a bit more sophisticated and simple. I also hate putting ornaments on a Christmas tree, so I just have a huge artificial one, with thousands of tiny, white lights and a large, loopy fabric bow on the top. The lights came with the tree, and stay on the tree in storage, as I also hate to put those on and remove them. If I do use ornaments, they are plastic ones that look like glass in red, silver and white. I bought them because of my cats. I usually leave them off, as I really love the simple look of only white lights.

For outdoors, I keep it simple and I hope, dignified. I always have a wreath on the front door. I have a small shrub in a black urn by the front door. Halloween is a bit different--I don't mind a little ghoulishness, like our severed heads with the cheap ketchup on them--with a big tree stump and the axe. The neighbors LOVE this! DH got them from a hairdressing school who were trashing them. the manager asked him if he could uses them. He brought home about 24 heads! They practice cutting hair on them until they can't be shorn further.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise

I do pretty much each holiday, but, except for Halloween and Christmas, not  a lot.  I'm big on having a single holiday touch in every room, except DH's bathroom, though. I even put some sort of battery-powered candle in a seasonal holder on the laundry room counter top,
Did any of the rest of you ever buy one of those Air Wick color-changing candles when they were out?  They were made by Air Wick, and when you lit them, they sat and changed colors within the glass votive they came in.  I loved those!  I haven't seen them though the past two years.  I even gave my MIL one that year they came out at Christmas, she loved it.

Last edited: