Monday's Question of the Day - November 28, 2016

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually have 2 questions burning on my mind and since one wont apply to everyone; I'm asking both. 

1.  What did you have for breakfast this morning?

I'm in a bit of a breakfast rut.  I like eggs and egg sandwiches; they fill me up and I'm not tempted to snack before lunch.  But I'm not feeling like making them lately.  Bagels are good; but I prefer them with cream cheese.  Some cereal I can eat; but it never seems to fill me for long.  I might have to try oatmeal or something for a bit.  The last few days I've warmed Thanksgiving leftovers as sort of a "brunch."  

2.  How many lights do you have/put on your Christmas tree?

I know this won't apply to everyone but I'm looking at my tree trying to decide if I want more.  I went to put lights on the tree last Friday and discovered half my lights weren't working.  I love the small multicolored lights.  So after checking the sales online I literally took my kids to Lowes in their pajamas and splurged on some LED strands that aren't just red, blue, gold and green.  I've always thought the LEDs were too "primary."  But GE has some that includes purple; so that is why I went for them.  It's close enough and the energy savings is a plus. I won't feel as guilty for having the tree on late at night.  I got the last 3 boxes of 100 lights and 2 boxes of 50.  I'm hoping these also last much longer than the last few boxes of incandescent lights I've gotten from Walmart. 

So far I put 300 lights on our tree.  I think I usually do 400.  The tree is about 7' tall if I extend the very top branch all the way.  It makes it too hard to put our angel-bear on top so I leave it down. But the tree is nice and wide and full.  We've had germs running through our house so after 3 days we still only have lights and unbreakable ball ornaments on the tree.  It's usually loaded by now.  So I've been sitting here debating adding the other 100 I have or just leaving it and returning the 2 boxes of 50.  I love sitting on the couch with only Christmas lights glowing.  It's so soothing.  I still need to put my white light and pine garland around the kitchen and dining area too.  

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a breakfast burrito. A $1 (previously) frozen El Monterey one. it was pretty good. That with 2 large cups of coffee. 

Zero. I'm not putting up a tree. DD doesn't care if we have one or not (she's 21) and I know that if I do put one up, Sophie will go through it like a furry tornado and it will be destroyed in no time. Not worth the time or expense. 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had two small slices of date nut bread leftover from Thanksgiving.

I don't put up a tree, either. I stopped years ago when I was working and it took a weekend to put it up and a weekend to take it down. The last one I put up had white lights and white and gold decorations. It was beautiful.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bacon and Eggs!

Two sets of those small, white indoor lights. Very classic and pretty, methinks! Plus a simple homage to our family's old Finnish traditions. 

I'd love to add some light blue lights some day, we shall see!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had some cereal and some coffee for breakfast.

I do not put up a Christmas tree because it would be destroyed by my cats. We celebrate Christmas at my parents house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd love to add some light blue lights some day, we shall see!
My DD has white and pink lights on her little tree. A friend of mine always does blue on a white tree. I think I'd like white and blue on a regular tree. Especially with coordinating ornaments; on the glass/crystal/sparkling side. It sounds very elegant!

She did everything herself; hence the uneven branches and leaning look. ;)

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I always have some Greek yogurt with granola. It really holds me. The ones I get are TJ's Vanilla and the Coconut ones..

For Christmas: 

Before Artie, I always had an artificial tree with multi colored lights..the more lights the better. The last tree came with the lights attached to it..

I tend towards Gold more than Silver. Years ago, I used Gold Garland. 

The last tree was an updated one. I had Gold and Red beads as a Garland. 

I always use unbreakable ornaments. I love critters.. and unusual things on the tree.. a few of the round balls in different colors is good. 

I think the designer trees are very beautiful, but not 'me'.. I go for simple and cute..

For various reasons, Artie being one of them (and his plastic fetish) I do not put up a tree. Also because the last time I put the tree up, my dad was dying.. sorry for the morbidity, but it is true. I remember taking the tree down in tears..my dad was sitting in his chair, just sleeping.. and he was put on Hospice immediately after Christmas.. He died on January 3, 2012... so it is a kind of bad memory for me...

I know I have to get over it, but...I find it hard to do.. 

I do decorate for Christmas...but no tree. I have all the stuff in an off site storage facility.. I am debating about donating the stuff, dumping it out, or trying to put it up again....

Right now, I have much different decorations than when my dad was alive...

one day......perhaps...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What's breakfast?  It's now 4:45, and I haven't eaten yet.  I will shortly.

As for the tree, 500 this year.  I bought new lights, so I actually have a count.  Poor little tree...it was a pre-lit Dollar General special, I think I paid less than $20 for it some 8 years ago, and last year the lights just...didn't.  The only ones I could find at that point had white wires, which were horrid, so I replaced them very early this year.  NEXT year, I'll buy the Command light hangars and install them around the front window, and hang the white lights there!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had granola with milk for breakfast, a granola bar, 5 Medjoul dates, and a cup of tea.

Do not decorate at all for Xmas.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I always have some Greek yogurt with granola. It really holds me. The ones I get are TJ's Vanilla and the Coconut ones..

For Christmas: 

Before Artie, I always had an artificial tree with multi colored lights..the more lights the better. The last tree came with the lights attached to it..

I tend towards Gold more than Silver. Years ago, I used Gold Garland. 

The last tree was an updated one. I had Gold and Red beads as a Garland. 

I always use unbreakable ornaments. I love critters.. and unusual things on the tree.. a few of the round balls in different colors is good. 

I think the designer trees are very beautiful, but not 'me'.. I go for simple and cute..

For various reasons, Artie being one of them (and his plastic fetish) I do not put up a tree. Also because the last time I put the tree up, my dad was dying.. sorry for the morbidity, but it is true. I remember taking the tree down in tears..my dad was sitting in his chair, just sleeping.. and he was put on Hospice immediately after Christmas.. He died on January 3, 2012... so it is a kind of bad memory for me...

I know I have to get over it, but...I find it hard to do.. 

I do decorate for Christmas...but no tree. I have all the stuff in an off site storage facility.. I am debating about donating the stuff, dumping it out, or trying to put it up again....

Right now, I have much different decorations than when my dad was alive...

one day......perhaps...
I totally understand this. 

Halloween was our thing- DH and mine. It's become meaningless without him. It's just no fun anymore.Same with Christmas. We used to put the tree up together and then argue about what music to play while decorating it. (This was pre-kitties of course- he was allergic).  He did not help decorate the tree. DD and I did that but he wanted to dictate what we listened to. he sat outside and watched TV while we decorated. I said that if we were doing the work, we got to choose the music. He tried to put on Johnny Mathis Christmas and we shut it off and put on My Chemical Romance. He used to get so annoyed. It was funny. 

Now that's also no fun and I really don't care about stuff like that anymore. Neither does DD and that doesn't help any. Now I also have the cats. Lily and Henry would likely leave the tree alone once they checked it out but Sophie would not. She'd tear it up in no time during a bout of the zoomies. 

It is hard to do. Someday you may find yourself wanting to do that again and maybe I will too. You never know what will happen down the road. I keep debating getting rid of the tree and decorations but I know that if I do, I'll want them the following year because that's just how things go. 

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I had toast and jelly. Dave's Killer bread with organic whole grain & seeds. That is the best bread.  I usually have a bagel with cream cheese, a English muffin, corn muffin, cold cereal which does not fill me up or hot cereal like oatmeal which does fill me up. Sometimes a vegetarian breakfast burrito.

I never had a tree so I don't have any lights to put on it.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mooch, your daughter's tree is adorable. 

Kat, I'm sorry. 

A package of Quaker Breakfast Flats with really bad coffee (I forgot my coffee and, since I cannot go without, I broke down and drank the rot-gut coffee at work). For years I ate a Granny Smith apple and coffee for breakfast. A few months ago, I started switching between the Breakfast Flats and regular oatmeal with skim milk. Then my apple for mid-morning break.

We have an artificial tree in the living room. It's prelit with white lights and then Rick put a couple spools of colored LEDs on the tree. We still have several strands of other lights (flickering lights, bubble lights, bell lights, etc.) that we have to put on. Rick thinks maybe 1200 lights total til it's finished. Tree might be 8 feet tall....not sure.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I love breakfast, oatmeal w/cinnamon, raisins and almond milk every morning plus a cup of black coffee.

No tree here either and no plants in the house except the ones I eat, I'm vegetarian, lol.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
My own mix of exotica that makes up a muesli... I love making muesli!!

No lights here.. no tree.. in fact no Christmas decorations!

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Porridge

No lights, no tree, no decorations. Even if I wanted them I know the kitties would get them. 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Coffee. I don't usually eat until noon. I spend the morning cleaning and doing yoga.

No lights so far, but I have ordered some solar powered outdoor fairly lights to put in the big fir tree in the back garden. Not even my cats can pull down a 3 meter tree that's rooted in the ground, right?