Monday's Question of the Day - November 17, 2014

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH and I have different opinions on what bad weather is so I'm bringing the discussion to TCS!

What is worse: rain at 45 degrees or snow at 30?  

Me; I'd take the rain at 45!  It's cold but no chance of ice or it turning to snow!  DH said he'd rather be in snow because it's better than getting soaked by the rain with it cold.  I have to agree; that is better.  But if your not getting soaked...rain!!  He is in and out of places all day; so he does come home pretty soggy at times.  It's raining hard here today; so soggy it will be tonight I guess.  Even with his rain gear!  But I'm SOOOO not ready for snow!!  It's a 4 letter word after all!! 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I would rather have snow and 30.  I don't mind snow it's bitter cold that gets to me.  When it gets down around zero or below zero I don't go out unless I absolutely have to and I get a serious case of cabin fever.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends on whether I'm walking or driving. I'd rather walk in snow than rain.
I try my best not to EVER drive in the snow.  So rain is always better in that regard. Since we live on a country road; there isn't much that I can walk to so I  don't have to face the rain like some do.  But if I want to get somewhere and it's snowing I have to really consider if I want to bother with it or if it's necessary at all!

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heck, definitely the rain and 45 degrees isn't really that cold especially in the Winter.  Of course 32 degrees or less will freeze up any puddles on the ground but still.  If there is ice on the ground I just won't go out in it.  I would go out when it's raining tho, I have lots of umbrellas

Last edited:

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really depends on the day. If my husband is trying to get home from a long trip, definitely I'll take the rain. We aren't equipped for much snow here and more than once he's barely made it home before everything shut down. But if my family are all home, then let it snow! Put a fire in the fireplace - I love when we get a snow day off from work and school.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Generally, snow at 30 is better, assuming no frigid wind to accompany it, just snow. Rain at 45 feels a lot colder than 30. It's also more "messy" to walk around in.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Snow at 30 degrees is generally much more slippery than snow at 0 degrees. I'll take rain. I'm originally from Vancouver Island and when it gets snow, it is greasy and slippery, and there are very few ploughs for a long stretch of roads. Rain is nothing. And you don't have to shovel it.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rain. I've forgotten about snow. It doesn't snow In Tel Aviv so I haven't been in the snow for 46 years.
I remember I hated slush and slipping in the snow.