Monday's Question Of The Day - November 13, 2017

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's officially the busy time of year for us! So I'm leaving you with a question I know I've asked at some point before; but its worth repeating!

What is your favorite dish to bring to a potluck?

My favorite varies by season. In the summer I always do pasta salad. In the winter; I think macaroni and cheese is my favorite; but sometimes I'm in the mood to do something different.

I did a big one this weekend for our church's annual Thanksgiving dinner. I made 3 boxes of elbow macaroni worth and made a big mess trying to mix it all into the pan. :paperbag: We had such a great turn out they kept adding tables! It's always like a big reunion and people bring guests. They always clear out the chairs in the sanctuary and fill it with tables. I was really glad I'd "overdone" it. We still had some leftover food though. :lol:

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an amazing lasagna recipe that has been passed down in my family for generations. The only problem is that it's a huge pain in my :censored: to make. It is literally an all day affair, especially if I make my own pasta noodles. Still, it's worth it to see the look on folks faces when they take their first bite. It honestly is one of a kind. Now, if I'm not feeling nearly as industrious I'll make a potato salad or an artichoke dip that are both really good and very unusual. If you haven't noticed I like to cook. It's a good thing; otherwise, everyone in my family would starve. They are all somewhat can opener challenged.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't go to pot lucks anymore, but when I did it was drunken dogs.
Real easy. Cut hot dogs with 1 cup brown sugar, a bottle of barbecue sauce (any kind you want) a 16oz can of beer and cook in crock pot for 1 1/2 hours. They are awesome.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually nowadays I brings hot dog chili (which people around these parts call "greek sauce") I get it from Bill's or Coney Island hot dog shops and bring it to add onto hot dogs and burgers.

I also like to bring corn casserole because it's super easy to make and everyone loves it. Or jello fluff. People like the pistachio fluff a lot or the mandarin orange fluff. That's easy to make too.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I have an amazing lasagna recipe that has been passed down in my family for generations. The only problem is that it's a huge pain in my :censored: to make. It is literally an all day affair, especially if I make my own pasta noodles. Still, it's worth it to see the look on folks faces when they take their first bite. It honestly is one of a kind. Now, if I'm not feeling nearly as industrious I'll make a potato salad or an artichoke dip that are both really good and very unusual. If you haven't noticed I like to cook. It's a good thing; otherwise, everyone in my family would starve. They are all somewhat can opener challenged.
Wow, you make your own pasta noodles, that's impressive!

I like to take vegetarian lasagna. Or sometimes black bean stew.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I usually ask people what they need me to bring. I will make whatever is missing. Different people always ask for different things. For Christmas I always have to bring chocolate chip cookies and shrimp scampi dip. When my brother used to make a turkey for Christmas he often asked me to bring the Portuguese stuffing too. Lately for Christmas Eve it is chourico and peppers and chocolate chip cookies. When I used to work it was always taco dip or chocolate chip cream cheese brownies. For one of my friends it's buffalo chicken dip, banana bread or chocolate chip cookies. For another it's a pitcher of bourbon cocktails, reuben dip or a chocolate cake. :dunno:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I usually ask people what they need me to bring. I will make whatever is missing. Different people always ask for different things. For Christmas I always have to bring chocolate chip cookies and shrimp scampi dip. When my brother used to make a turkey for Christmas he often asked me to bring the Portuguese stuffing too. Lately for Christmas Eve it is chourico and peppers and chocolate chip cookies. When I used to work it was always taco dip or chocolate chip cream cheese brownies. For one of my friends it's buffalo chicken dip, banana bread or chocolate chip cookies. For another it's a pitcher of bourbon cocktails, reuben dip or a chocolate cake. :dunno:
Neat that you can cook so many kinds of things. I have a limited repertoire of dishes I know how to make well :paperbag: so they get what I can make. :lol:

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whatever my hubby feels like making. :yess:

If I'm in charge of making whatever it is I'll do a cut up watermelon, chips and salsa or queso dip, or bakery cookies. Sometimes I'll make a pan of brownies from a mix.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on who will be there, I generally either bring a bucket of KFC or a bag of shelled pistachios ($12.99/24 ounce bag at CostCo). I don't cook much, but both of these seem to make people happy.

Margret

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't been to a potluck in forever, but as I bake, likely a baked good - a special pastry, a fancy sweet bread, or cookies.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cookies. My husband's mom loves my cookies too much.
10428593_10204828829332846_7167103352206687231_n.jpg

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the event.

Starting December 1, having had demands for it since October, I made an incredible non-alcoholic wassail at work. The scent crept down the hallways, sneaked down the stairs, and filled a couple of floors with its wonderful allure. I made it in a party-size percolator that held about 2 1/2 gallons. I usually had to make about three batches a day.

I have a punch that everyone loves and they usually request that, along with my iced tea. About sixteen of us, plus all the moochers from other offices, would go through two or three big punch bowls of each.

Taco salad was always popular. I made Irish stew on St. Patrick's Day, two oversize crockpots full, and there was never any left. The same with chicken and dumplings. Strawberry poke cake went fast, too.

Mostly, it depended on what was needed.
Care to share? ;)

Since I like to bake I always bring a dessert preferably one with chocolate and/or coffee in it. :yummy:
You're my kind of folks!

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Cookies. My husband's mom loves my cookies too much.View attachment 205118
That was NOT a nice thing to when I'm hungry and looking forward to leftovers! Those look wonderful! You can send the leftovers to me. In fact, I believe I should test batches of each before you serve them. It's a noble sacrifice, I know, but I'll carry on.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That was NOT a nice thing to when I'm hungry and looking forward to leftovers! Those look wonderful! You can send the leftovers to me. In fact, I believe I should test batches of each before you serve them. It's a noble sacrifice, I know, but I'll carry on.
You are truly selfless to make a sacrifice of that magnitude. :lol2:

I usually bring more than one thing. A spiral brown sugar ham that I make in the crock pot. Everyone loves it. I will also usually bring my Grandma's potato salad or a pasta salad of some sort.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All these things sound so good. Making me hungry!
I love to bring crock pot carnitas and some tortillas if I'm bringing a dinner, watermelon / feta / mint salad if it's summer....but my favorite thing to bring is CAKE BALLS! :p
My mom used to make them every Christmas, calling them jingle bells, way before the whole "cake pop" thing became popular. But they're basically just cake pops without the stick, and they're always festive since you can decorate them however you want. I have a whole cupboard for supplies and sprinkles!