Monday's Question Of The Day - May 8, 2017

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Today I am :cold:
and I need
!! It got chilly last night but I didn't want to turn the heat back on. I was fine till I got out of bed. Maybe I should just go back there... I am in the middle of a good book.

Do you prefer to work/read in the quiet or with background noise?

I ask this question because one of my kids was talking over my shoulder about something while I tried to reply in another thread a few minutes ago. ;) Normally I can work with background noise just fine; but not talking over my shoulder. I used to prefer TV background noise and things; but I think since having kids I find I like quiet for working. Maybe I just like what I can't easily have? :lol:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At work I would prefer some music or headphones to block out random shinnanigans. Unfortunately, the CEO read some outdated study about music listening meaning you don't retain information so it isn't allowed. I used to listen just when do repetitive or basic tasks and took them off when I needed to focus more. Oh well.

Reading I can tune out some background noise. TV going or people talking around me that I know is harder. But a crowded cafeteria I can zone out the noise and read.

Responding to a thread I usually will tune out things around me to respond. Probably because I am actively engaged in figuring out how to respond.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I prefer quiet. If I read while commuting I put on my headphones and listen to music quietly so I can block out the surrounding conversations.
One of life's great pleasures: Turning everything off at home, blissfully silent, maybe some birds chirping and getting engrossed in reading.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad we have music at work.. reading though I prefer it quiet.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
At work I usually have one ear bud in & listen to podcasts throughout the day while working. I'm an expert multi-tasker because I can read a book & retain info from the podcast at the same time. If I add a third input (like someone else talking to me), it all breaks down. So maybe I'm a bi-tasker; multi is a bit of an exaggeration. :)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer to have some kind of background noise, whether it's music, a history documentary, a fan, a sound conditioner, etc.

Then again, I have really wicked tinnitus, so it's easier for me to concentrate if I can drown out some of the internal noise with something more pleasant sounding. :wink:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When reading, I desire absolute quiet.

When working, I desire background noise. Sewing, baking, work stuff etc even back when I had to do homework I absolutely needed background noise, especially TV.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If it's real work I prefer it absolutely quiet so I can concentrate. But if it's pleasurable work, e.g. on the computer after work, reading the newspaper or magazine, laundry, cooking, etc. then I don't mind background noise.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I leave the TV on as background noise when I'm doing stuff around the house. But when I'm reading a book I like it quite. I also find it distracting to have the radio on when I'm driving.

Muffy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At work I would prefer some music or headphones to block out random shinnanigans. Unfortunately, the CEO read some outdated study about music listening meaning you don't retain information so it isn't allowed. I used to listen just when do repetitive or basic tasks and took them off when I needed to focus more. Oh well.
:cringe: That would have made me pretty miserable at work. Both of my last jobs were such small employers that there wasn't employee chatter around me. Just phone calls and patients coming in and out. Being an introvert; I'd prefer noise I can control. :lol:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer to read in silence. Noise is distracting. But when I'm doing housework, I like to turn the TV on to one of the music channels - easy listening or sound scapes. When I had a job, I enjoyed playing soothing music on my computer while I worked.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:cringe: That would have made me pretty miserable at work. Both of my last jobs were such small employers that there wasn't employee chatter around me. Just phone calls and patients coming in and out. Being an introvert; I'd prefer noise I can control. :lol:
Its a small office for an electric company. I am in "the bowling alley" which is a long wide hallway that pretty much everyone walks down and next to a large copier (we call Bertha). It varies depending on the day. Some days really quiet.

Other days you can't hear yourself think because the guy two desks up is planning a job with his foreman while the safety office (6 desks in a room branching off from the bowling alley) have 6 new hires they are running around to orientate and equip properly. We call the two main office safety guys Timon and Pumba for a very good reason. And then someone comes walking by wanting to show his first W2 from 1960 while telling you that termination comes from the root would terminate which means to end whiile wearing his spray painted gold shoes and spring toupee.... and I really wish that last sentence was false but it is 100% accurate.

There are moments I just give up on focusing and go fill my water bottle or walk around the building.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its a small office for an electric company. I am in "the bowling alley" which is a long wide hallway that pretty much everyone walks down and next to a large copier (we call Bertha). It varies depending on the day. Some days really quiet.

Other days you can't hear yourself think because the guy two desks up is planning a job with his foreman while the safety office (6 desks in a room branching off from the bowling alley) have 6 new hires they are running around to orientate and equip properly. We call the two main office safety guys Timon and Pumba for a very good reason. And then someone comes walking by wanting to show his first W2 from 1960 while telling you that termination comes from the root would terminate which means to end whiile wearing his spray painted gold shoes and spring toupee.... and I really wish that last sentence was false but it is 100% accurate.

There are moments I just give up on focusing and go fill my water bottle or walk around the building.
It sounds like some background music or noise canceling headphones would be a GOOD thing for your productivity! Leave it to management to fix whats not broken. ;)

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i've always preferred to read in quiet. when doing chores around the house, sometimes i'll listen to music although lately i've been doing them in quiet too. when i'm working on budgeting, planning, organizing, i prefer quiet.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
If I'm reading, I'd prefer quiet. If I'm at work and working on a land development plan, I really do need quiet. I have a lot of math involved and when there's music playing or people really carrying on, I can't concentrate. Then I'll go into the planning office and shut the door. At home, if I'm in bed reading, I can have the tv on, but again, at a very low sound level.

When I'm baking, I need music. I'll connect my iPod to the stereo and turn it up. Several years ago, during one holiday season, Rick started calling me the Rockin' Baker because he'd come home from bowling and Aerosmith would be screaming out of the living room. Same with housework....give me music.

No radio, no tv music channels. Just the iPod (or iTunes on the computer)...life is good.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Music playing softly is my preference for both work and reading. I also prefer the music be "my" music (from the 1960's) or instrumentals - New Age etc. I just don't want the music booming at me!

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most of the time I prefer quiet, or nap time music playing. There's so much activity going on around me all day long that whenever I'm not surrounded by kids I prefer quiet.

But I like podcasts when cleaning out the litter boxes, and rock n roll blasting when I'm cleaning the house. Especially if I'm cleaning because I'm mad about something. (I used to think DH purposely pissed me off when the house got messy. :lol: )

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Does anybody listen to the radio? Either at home or while driving in the car? I can't. Way too many advertisements and too much DJ chatter and they're annoying, too. In the morning, Rick will listen to the Bob and Tom Show (I think that's what it's called) on the radio....way too much inane chatter and canned laughter.