Monday's Question Of The Day - May 1, 2017

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A simple question today....

Do you like to order appetizers when you go out to eat?

I admit it; I love them. :p We don't always order; but I enjoy it when we do. Mozzarella sticks (especially from a local Italian place that uses GOOD cheese!), Spinach Artichoke dip, bread with dipping sauce, wings, stuffed mushrooms, 'poppers", really anything appetizer wise is good to me. :paperbag: I've been known to order an appetizer as my meal sometimes too. Add a salad and sometimes it's better than the meals on the menu. Applebees used to have some kind of spin on an egg roll or something like that that was good in place of a meal. I don't think they carry it anymore.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I do love appetizers but if I order them I can't finish my entree so I usually take a pass and save room for dessert instead. :wink:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My family never order appetizers and I never have either. I think it's just too much to eat. I rarely get desert either. I guess I'm just cheap. One time I took my nephew, his wife and 4 kids out to dinner. Every one of them had to have an appetizer and the kids were 12 years old and younger. That was a expensive dinner. I even brought them ice cream on the way home.

Muffy

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends how many people are there. More than 4, yes, always. If only 2 or 3 people, usually no. Exactly 4 people, sometimes yes sometimes no. I'll occasionally order an appetizer as a meal, if they have good appetizers.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes I order appetizers as a meal, but never with a meal. The same goes for dessert. An all-you-can-eat buffet is an entirely different matter, though. Then I take a little of everything.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will usually either get an app with a side salad as the meal and then get dessert or I will get just an entree and no dessert.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Appetizers are the best part of the meal. So many choices. Don't need an entreé & would rather have dessert.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't like the dessert options most places have. Unless it's a non-chain restaurant they are usually just not good enough to waste the calories on. I don't mind bringing leftovers home; so there have been times I didn't eat more than 1/3 of my meal at the restaurant and enjoyed it later. Not too many; but I've done it.

I wish some places would let me have an appetizer in place of the "side of french fries" that comes with meals. Or the side of mashed potatoes or rice. Or maybe they could let you substitute the appetizer for the fries/rice/etc for a few dollars more. I'd go for that! :lol:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We hardly ever order appetizers. I'm thinking about the only time is if we go to Outback and I can have French Onion Soup and then the FO soup and a salad is my dinner. Sometimes we might order stuffed mushrooms, but it's rare.

As for dessert, I agree about the waste of calories. Usually restaurant desserts, esp chain restaurant desserts, aren't worth the money or the calories. And, a lot of times, if we're going out to dinner with friends, I'll make a dessert and then we'll all come back home for coffee and dessert at the house. One time, there were eight of us out for dinner and one guy was all set to order dessert. But then he looked at me and asked me if I had made anything. When I said I had made a chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting, he looked at the waiter and said, "Never mind! I'm having dessert at Pam's!" The waiter said, "Heck, I'm comin' with ya!" :lol:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love appetizers and usually prefer them over an entree. I'd rather have an assortment of finger foods over a big holiday meal anytime also. I couldn't care less about dessert and never order it. Sweets are overrated IMO

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We do especially if we know it's going to be a long wait for the actual entree. I don't always order dessert unless we go to my favorite pizza place that has Mud Pie. It's my favorite dessert of theirs.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The prices on the appetizers are as much as some of the entrees! I only order if I get it as the meal, and then it is usually a chicken flat bread or some such.

MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles , I always get a veggie substitute for the fries. Spinach or broccoli, if available. A small side of an appetizer is a great idea! Maybe places will start doing that if we ask often enough!

And desserts, I only get if they offer those small ones; the normal desserts are HUGE and costly as well.
My fave dessert when out is Grapenut pudding, heated, with whipped cream on top!

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love appetizers but have a bad habit of overeating so it's better if we don't order them. :tongue: When we do order them I end up taking most of my entree home.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do love appetizers but if I order them I can't finish my entree so I usually take a pass and save room for dessert instead. :wink:
Me, too. :)

However, if it's just a quick lunch with friends, I've been know to skip the appetizers and entree altogether, and just order dessert. :lol:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
honestly, the high prices and that the food generally isn't worth the price (as in, doesn't taste as good as what i can make at home) deters me from eating out. when i do go out to eat, on the rare occasion, i might consider ordering an appetizer and either soup or side salad as my meal......i've even ordered one of the kids meals before -- and the portion was just right.