Monday's Question of the Day - March 6, 2017

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am very tempted to make today's question "What should I get my mother for her 60th birthday?" because it's coming up in a few weeks and I haven't gotten anything.
  She's normally too easy to shop for.  I got her a sterling silver ring with her birthstone for her 50th.  And my step-dad threw a nice size catered party at our church.  He's said nothing about her 60th so I don't think there will be a party at all.  

Last week she mentioned going to a Hibachi restaurant.  A few months ago she started telling me her daydream ideas for her 60th.  She wanted it formal and at one of the local hotels. She wanted everyone dressed up and to invite her local friends but also the childhood friends who live within a few hours drive that she's reconnected with via facebook.  She talked about it several times but I told her my step-dad hasn't included me if hes planning something.  (I planned the last one; he paid. 
)  But even that was't formal at all!  Maybe he's going to take her away or something; but either way I am SO SO SOOOO glad I will not be required to not just purchase but WEAR a DRESS and HEELS!!  When I was thin and younger I might have gone for it.  But not now.  
  I'm not that fancy and I'm not interested in spending $$ on a dress I'll wear once or finding one that looks good on someone my size.  
  I just might rather walk barefoot across all the Legos my 4 year old keeps dumping in the living room. 
  But seriously.  No dresses please. Especially not one requiring spanx. 

How do you like to celebrate your birthdays?

I like a nice quiet birthday with some time to myself.  Dinner out with my family and dessert back at home.  Maybe some time to go shopping for some clothing for myself or to browse the craft store. And maybe some time to work on a puzzle or craft project without being disturbed.  Sleeping in.  I wouldn't mind a quiet lunch with friends; but NO restaurant singing.  DH and I were born in the same month so we usually go out on a "date night' to celebrate them both at once.  We have an agreement about the singing since we both hate it equally.  

I still remember the birthday at Red Lobster when my Gram not-so-subtly told her waiter behind her hand that it was my birthday.  I think it's called a stage whisper.  It's much funnier now that it's a +20 year old memory 
 and Gram's no longer with us.  ​But at the time I was pretty embarrassed, 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like having a quiet dinner out with Tom. Nothing too fancy; we're not much on dressing up. Or, a really nice lunch - there's a wonderful restaurant that does locavore food and the menu changes every week.  The lunches are particularly good - they always have a grilled cheese of the day and that in itself is a treat!

If it's a work day, I always take off and do nice stuff for myself, mani/pedi is the big one.  

Overall I find that now that I'm older, they aren't the big deal they used to be but I still do want at least a little celebration.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just usually get taken out to a nice restaurant, something special like steak or prime rib. My daughter usually gets me something for the garden, my in-laws bake me a cake and have a special dinner (not on my actual birthday, when we go out.) Everything works out well! I agree on the dress and heels thing, PLEASE, NO!!!!!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I could care less about birthdays. I never do anything & prefer people not to know it's my birthday.
You sound just like my husband, he has the same exact feeling about birthdays.

However, growing up birthdays were always a big deal in my family so they are special to me.  I don't need a big gift but like to go out somewhere I wouldn't ordinarily go.  This year I wanted to see a Tony award winning play so my oldest daughter surprised me with tickets.  Then my husband, daughter and two close friends went to a favorite restaurant of mine.  I have carried on the tradition I grew up with for my daughters and started a new one as well.  They are like me about birthdays, not my husband. 

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For the past eight years it has just been Hekitty and me on my birthday.  Suzanne always stops over for a few minutes, but I don't really "celebrate," other than making sure I cook something I really like for my dinner, and, occasionally I bake a cake.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
birthdays, mine as well as my cats, are days i like to set aside for us to enjoy a quiet day together. it's a lovely gift for all of us to enjoy. sometimes i'll make myself something in particular for dinner on my birthday, or bake a particular dessert, but not always.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having my birthday acknowledged would be nice. But no one ever remembers my birthday. Since I moved out out my own I've celebrated my birthday with a quiet day and a splurge on a mousse cupcake or something decadent from the bakery. Last year I took the entire week off (a first for me) and did fun stuff like yoga classes and a trip to the aquarium with a free ticket someone gave me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think those are all nice ways to celebrate.  I think some years I'm looking more for the quiet time and others I want to enjoy it with a few select people.  

Since having kids my birthdays have been more exciting.  For my last birthday my DD had breakfast sitting on my bed for me when I came out of my bathroom.  And a couple cards she made with construction paper.  Those are still tapped to the kitchen cabinet because they were awfully sweet.  My breakfast consisted of a whole apple, a sliced/mashed banana and a torn up piece slice of Kraft American cheese.
  Not the yummiest; but boy I tried because she was so cute about it all.  My birthday felt special because of her excitement.  
  The kids always plan a cake with my Mom too.  DD liked baking so it's another fun thing to see what she's come up with. Mom won't let her do anything too outrageous. 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I usually go out for lunch with one or two close friends.  But when it's a big one (ends in a 0) I take a week off, hire an apartment somewhere really nice not too far away (I have wonderful places less than two hours away) and invite people either to stay or join in on the day.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents never really went all out for b-days.. and they really did not want a fuss over theirs.. 

I used to just have a cake and my favorite meal. 

Now, that I am alone, I either take myself out to eat, make a nice meal for myself, or buy something good at the bakery for me.. and a good bottle of wine...

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I do enjoy going out to dinner on my birthday. (Or making a nice dinner and celebrating with family and friends.)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's my birthday tomorrow! March 8th.

I was planning to go up to Tokyo to see this.

http://davidbowieis.jp/en/

But one of my cats, Chicken, injured herself out in the enclosure this afternoon and she is limping pretty badly. So I'm going to be spending my birthday taking Chicken to the vet and then pampering her to make her feel better.

I really like @Mani  's idea. Maybe I'll do that next year.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I am very tempted to make today's question "What should I get my mother for her 60th birthday?" because it's coming up in a few weeks and I haven't gotten anything. :doh3:   She's normally too easy to shop for.  I got her a sterling silver ring with her birthstone for her 50th.  And my step-dad threw a nice size catered party at our church.  He's said nothing about her 60th so I don't think there will be a party at all.  
How about a grandmother's pendant with your kids' birthstones?

Happy Birthday! :party4:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I didn't answer the question! :doh3:

My husband's birthday is the day before mine, so we go away on vacation. :) This started back when he was speaking to his parents and they would always be difficult and make our birthdays not fun. you decided to "get our of dodge" instead and have kept it up for many years.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I was planning to go up to Tokyo to see this.

http://davidbowieis.jp/en/

But one of my cats, Chicken, injured herself out in the enclosure this afternoon and she is limping pretty badly. So I'm going to be spending my birthday taking Chicken to the vet and then pampering her to make her feel better.

I really like @Mani  's idea. Maybe I'll do that next year.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!  

Get lots of kitty cuddles today!!! That's the best way to celebrate! 

lily paddy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm how do I like to celebrate my birthday.. after 35.. i kinda didn't even want to acknowledge.. honestly .. There is a family birthday cake... My bf kinda just got me balloons and sent me flowers at work last year and a necklace.. I dont really care too much about birthdays.. i try not to focus on age and aging, numbers are not important to me.. its how i feel.. being bombarded with perfect women in advertising gets me down on myself.. I am what i am.. at any age.. its all about how u feel.. not yur age in numbers.. 

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hmm how do I like to celebrate my birthday.. after 35.. i kinda didn't even want to acknowledge.. honestly .. There is a family birthday cake... My bf kinda just got me balloons and sent me flowers at work last year and a necklace.. I dont really care too much about birthdays.. i try not to focus on age and aging, numbers are not important to me.. its how i feel.. being bombarded with perfect women in advertising gets me down on myself.. I am what i am.. at any age.. its all about how u feel.. not yur age in numbers.. 

I agree. Age is just a number. In my head I am still 22. DD will be 22 next week so that makes us twins. 

Please don't let those pictures get to you. No one is perfect. Those pictures are photoshopped and airbrushed so much it's ridiculous. Those women do NOT look that great in real life. They wish.