Monday's Question of the Day - March 16, 2015

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm a rotten cook, probably because I hate to cook. I do make pretty good spaghetti sauce in the electric frying pan, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Do the cats ignore the crock pot and the yummy food smells? I want to use my crock pot but I have an Aby who's way too curious for his own good
I can just see him pushing the entire plugged-in crock pot off the counter  to get to the food inside
I have an open floorplan so there's no way I can close off the kitchen.
I use my crock pot a lot.  My 2 never mess with it.  I think the heat would discourage them.  I don't use it at night though; only on days I'm home.
Lately, meatballs. I love having meatballs and gnocchi (which I buy, I haven't attempted my own yet). My 2 year old gets really excited when we are having meatballs for dinner. To her, meatloaf is also meatballs. I made a meatloaf for the freezer yesterday and my husband labeled it "big rectangular meatball".
  The next time I make a meatloaf for dinner I'm calling it that!! 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I use the crock pot very often. If I'm going to be home with it turned on, I'll just keep it on the kitchen counter. If I'm going to use the crock pot and go to work, then I'll put it in the basement on top of the freezer or the dryer and plug it in down there. Makes the basement smell wonderful. 
 To my knowledge, though, the kids haven't bothered them.

If you have a separate room that you can close off, you could put your crock pot in there.

I love the "big rectangular meatball"! 
  And now, I'm hungry for meatloaf.

Last edited:

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Do the cats ignore the crock pot and the yummy food smells? I want to use my crock pot but I have an Aby who's way too curious for his own good
I can just see him pushing the entire plugged-in crock pot off the counter  to get to the food inside
I use the crock pot all the time. I leave it on the kitchen counter and my 5 never mess with it. I will put a small towel over the top which helps hold a lot of the good smells in so they don't seem to notice as much. I have never seen them on the counter near it so I guess the heat keeps them at bay.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Neither of my cats have ever tried to get to the crock pot, no matter how yummy everything smelled.  

I personally try not to leave the house when it's cooking, though I will leave it on overnight while sleeping  I'm more worried about having an electrical situation than a cat one 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Pretty much anything that goes from prep' to plate in 10 mintues or under.  
  @Norachan  I'm with you on toast, wonderful stuff toast is, and it smells so amazing even when it's burnt. 

I do a good line in rice pudding too though it takes about 1 1/2 hours in the oven - basicaly because I can throw 2 ingredients in to a pot, leave it in the oven for an age and it comes out tasting like a food from the gods. 

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i enjoy cooking, but love baking. if baking counts, then i love to bake desserts. my favorite dessert to bake would be either banana walnut blondies, or banana bread -- because my banana bread recipe took a base recipe and my niece and i tweaked it to make it something very special, so this recipe has sentimental value to me.

i enjoy cooking but don't particularly love it. i do love cooking new recipes though, it gives me variety and hopefully will result in a recipe i can add to those few that i make on a regular basis.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love making a "healthy" scampi I found on Pinterest. Instead of butter, you use chicken broth for the sauce. I always make extra to bring some for lunch the following day.

I rarely cook though - the BF can make some pretty delicious meals and is good with cooking, so I've let him run with it ;)